Silberman Fall 2021 MSW

vincentmsw

5 minutes ago, MSWNYC said:

Congrats!  Sounds like it was a success!  Question: How did they give you the reading/writing assignment, was that after the interview was completed, with a 90 minute window? Thanks, just want to be ready! 

They email you a link with your user name and password. And that take you to the article. They know people are working from home so you just have to complete the article before 1159pm  the following day. I waited some time to decompress from the interview then worked on it. 

12 minutes ago, Gradguy11218 said:

They email you a link with your user name and password. And that take you to the article. They know people are working from home so you just have to complete the article before 1159pm  the following day. I waited some time to decompress from the interview then worked on it. 

That's really helpful, thank you!  Yes, I can imagine you'd want to take a few deep breaths before diving back in. :) Appreciate the info! 

On 2/15/2021 at 8:16 PM, Ishita Islam said:

I also submitted 2/1. My application still says its not completed due to the transcripts but I uploaded it. When I called they said it takes time. Did you apply to the full time-clinical practice as well?

Hey! I sent them an email when i first submitted and they set it to complete for me the next day. They just need to manually update it when u update your transcripts because sometimes people upload false documents. Hope this helps and yes I did apply for full time clinical

Edited by vincentmsw

1 hour ago, vincentmsw said:

Hey! I sent them an email when i first submitted and they set it to complete for me the next day. They just need to manually update it when u update your transcripts because sometimes people upload false documents. Hope this helps and yes I did apply for full time clinical

Thank you, I emailed them this morning about it. 

18 hours ago, Gradguy11218 said:

Hey everyone I had my interview today. It’s was 1 interviewer and 8 applicants. The process was better than expected I was very nervous and feel like I over prepared which could have caused the anxiety. We were asked what do we think clinical social work is, what is one of our strengths and a potential weakness, given a scenario a older clients cooks dinner and offers food to us during the home visit , what would we do. Those were all the questions time moves fast when 8 people are answering questions. Last we were given the writing sample about university and child welfare agencies being aligned. The reading was 3 pages but very dense. While reading I just took major points so I didn’t let the article leave me confused or disoriented. The response is 2-3 paragraphs and you are given 90 minutes. I feel confident I will get in. Undergrad is in similar field and many years work experience in the field. 

Thank you for letting us know. The interview was in-person? I thought it would be via zoom or skype because of corona.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:49 PM, mswhopeful21 said:

Hi! 

Did you interview for Silberman before getting in? I'm getting nervous that I haven't been invited to interview and I applied around 12/29.

Also, how are you finding Silberman? It's my top choice due to its good reputation, solid balance of clinical and macro work, and of course the price tag. How has your experience been so far?

Thanks!

Hey,

I never got an interview. Some people didn’t get an interview and got in some people did! not sure of the requirements. I got my acceptance a month or so after I applied in March  

I really like silberman and the classes are great and the students & discussions are always lively. This school is an EXPERIENCE.  I have my qualms but they really boil down to Hunter being a CUNY and having crappy administration because CUNY. But i’ve heard similar from the private sw schools too. I’d recommend it, but be prepared to constantly have to advocate for yourself and a rigorous curriculum.  

Edited by TexasToast

Hello everybody,

I'm glad to have found this threat for the 2021 application. I submitted my application for the OYR - Fall 2021 on 12/17/2020 and completed it on 01/25/2021. It says "application completed" but I have not received an invitation for an interview or anything yet.

For the person that received an invitation for an interview, how long did it take for your status to change to "pending interview"?

Thank you all.

14 hours ago, TexasToast said:

Hey,

I never got an interview. Some people didn’t get an interview and got in some people did! not sure of the requirements. I got my acceptance a month or so after I applied in March  

I really like silberman and the classes are great and the students & discussions are always lively. This school is an EXPERIENCE.  I have my qualms but they really boil down to Hunter being a CUNY and having crappy administration because CUNY. But i’ve heard similar from the private sw schools too. I’d recommend it, but be prepared to constantly have to advocate for yourself and a rigorous curriculum.  

Hey, thanks for your response!

It's worrying me that Hunter sends our responses so late, but hopefully I'll hear soon since I applied in December. 

I'm glad to hear that you like it there! The students and discussions are what really make a school so it's important that that's been a positive experience. I can imagine the bureaucracy of the CUNY system, but you're right that that's the case in pretty much every school. I guess it's good practice since the field of social work requires a lot of self advocacy in general ?

On 2/16/2021 at 12:15 PM, TexasToast said:

Hey y'all. 

I was in your place a year ago around this time and currently am in my first year at Silberman! If you have any questions let me know. Good luck :)

Hi! thank you for wanting to share your experience.

I have always wondered, when do you have to pay for the semester once you have been accepted? Is it immediately or near the beginning of the semester? Do you have to pay the entire career or do you pay semester by semester? 

I am not eligible to receive federal students loans so I might have to pay for it myself or with private loans and I'm trying to figure out how it works to plan accordingly. I have not been accepted yet so I might be getting ahead but I would appreciate if you share some more info regarding tuition and payments.

Thank you. 

Hi everyone! Just wanted to update that I just received acceptance to Hunter. It actually came as a shock - I just chatted with the admissions office to see if I can recieve a timeline and they informed me that they see a decision on my portal that came in this morning, but I didn't get an email. My application was completed on 12/29 and I didn't get an interview. They require a response within 3 weeks (!!?) and haven't sent any scholarship info, but regardless of aid they offer this is probably the most affordable option for me. Good luck to all those waiting!

Edited to add: they did not include any information about financial aid or when I can expect to hear about that. Does anyone know the timeline for that?

Edited by mswhopeful21

On 2/17/2021 at 4:44 PM, Ishita Islam said:

Thank you, I emailed them this morning about it. 

Hey there,

I had the same issue. I emailed several weeks ago to no response, but just checked my portal and my application was finally marked complete on 2/17. I submitted all my materials on 1/25. Seems like it's just clerical backup. 

Here's hoping for some news this week! 

1 hour ago, lil_lil said:

Hey there,

I had the same issue. I emailed several weeks ago to no response, but just checked my portal and my application was finally marked complete on 2/17. I submitted all my materials on 1/25. Seems like it's just clerical backup. 

Here's hoping for some news this week! 

Hey,

I just received a response back. They updated my application and now it's finally complete.

Best of luck to you as well! ?

2 hours ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to update that I just received acceptance to Hunter. It actually came as a shock - I just chatted with the admissions office to see if I can recieve a timeline and they informed me that they see a decision on my portal that came in this morning, but I didn't get an email. My application was completed on 12/29 and I didn't get an interview. They require a response within 3 weeks (!!?) and haven't sent any scholarship info, but regardless of aid they offer this is probably the most affordable option for me. Good luck to all those waiting!

Edited to add: they did not include any information about financial aid or when I can expect to hear about that. Does anyone know the timeline for that?

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

I wish I don't have to do the interview.

Do you think it was because you have more experience in SW or a high gpa?

If you don't mind sharing. ?

12 minutes ago, Ishita Islam said:

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

I wish I don't have to do the interview.

Do you think it was because you have more experience in SW or a high gpa?

If you don't mind sharing. ?

Thank you!! And do you have an interview scheduled? It seems like Hunter is sort of inconsistent with that so hopefully you'll get lucky!

It's hard to know what was the factor that did it (I wish I knew!). My gpa was decent, pretty average for my school and major, but I think my experience was more valuable -- my personal experiences that led me to the field of social work in addition to volunteer/professional work in the field. I volunteered on a crisis hotline in college and worked for a year as a service provider in a non profit so I'm pretty confident that that helped, but can't know for sure!

Edited by mswhopeful21

8 minutes ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Thank you!! And do you have an interview scheduled? It seems like Hunter is sort of inconsistent with that so hopefully you'll get lucky!

It's hard to know what was the factor that did it (I wish I knew!). My gpa was decent, pretty average for my school and major, but I think my experience was more valuable -- my personal experiences that led me to the field of social work in addition to volunteer/professional work in the field. I volunteered on a crisis hotline in college and worked for a year as a service provider in a non profit so I'm pretty confident that that helped, but can't know for sure!

Hopefully,

I didn’t get any information about an interview yet, but noticed other were getting acceptances without the interview. I figured it's because of individuals experience.

Thank you for sharing.

Just now, Ishita Islam said:

Hopefully,

I didn’t get any information about an interview yet, but noticed other were getting acceptances without the interview. I figured it's because of individuals experience.

Thank you for sharing.

Wishing you the best of luck! Hope you hear soon with an acceptance - seems like they're working pretty quickly this year (in comparison to what I've read about previous years' timelines). 

1 minute ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Wishing you the best of luck! Hope you hear soon with an acceptance - seems like they're working pretty quickly this year (in comparison to what I've read about previous years' timelines). 

Thank you!

On 2/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, XGrad2021 said:

Hello everybody,

I'm glad to have found this threat for the 2021 application. I submitted my application for the OYR - Fall 2021 on 12/17/2020 and completed it on 01/25/2021. It says "application completed" but I have not received an invitation for an interview or anything yet.

For the person that received an invitation for an interview, how long did it take for your status to change to "pending interview"?

Thank you all.

i started my app in November submitted everything in December. I didnt get a pending interview notice until the first week of February and i received the email to schedule a interview maybe 2 days after i noticed it changed. Interview dates were 7,10,and 14 days away from the day the email was sent.  

1 hour ago, Gradguy11218 said:

i started my app in November submitted everything in December. I didnt get a pending interview notice until the first week of February and i received the email to schedule a interview maybe 2 days after i noticed it changed. Interview dates were 7,10,and 14 days away from the day the email was sent.  

Hi! thank you for getting back to me. I see, it takes time. You submitted your application pretty early. I'm glad your interview went well. So anxious waiting to see if I'll get called for one. Hope to hear that you got accepted hopefully soon.

4 hours ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Wow that's pretty awesome! 

Congratulations! please, share more details when you start the financial process. I do have zero knowledge about that.

7 minutes ago, XGrad2021 said:

Hi! thank you for getting back to me. I see, it takes time. You submitted your application pretty early. I'm glad your interview went well. So anxious waiting to see if I'll get called for one. Hope to hear that you got accepted hopefully soon.

Some get in without the interview. yes I hope I get in too. How you get good news soon as Well.