2021 Results

5 hours ago, MPP2021app said:

My bad! Just double checked, and I was actually given 10k the first year and 5k the second year. So ya that 5k max for the second year sounds right.

Got it, congrats on admission and funding!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA, MPP
Schools Applied To:  Berkeley MPP, UPENN MPA, Harvard MPP, Cornell MPA, Columbia MPA, U Michigan MPP, U Chicago MPP, Brown MPA
Schools Admitted To:  Berkeley MPP(in-state, $10k/first year, $5k/ second year), UPENN MPA ($15K), Cornell MPA ($15k/year), Columbia MPA ($20k/year), U Michigan MPP (100%+ stipend/health coverage), U Chicago MPP ($25k/year) , Brown MPA ($15k)
Schools Rejected From:  N/A
Still Waiting:  Harvard MPP (waitlisted)
Undergraduate Institution: nationally-ranked public school
Undergraduate GPA:   3.7
Undergraduate Major:  3.9
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  Didn't take because of COVID
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  5
Years of Work Experience:  3.3 full-time; 3 part-time (worked throughout college)
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Worked as a research assistant in behavioral economics, worked as a policy intern, big finance institution, UN organization, etc.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):   I haven’t written an essay in 5 years, so you can imagine… my writing sucked. Berkeley, UPENN, and Harvard essays suffered the most because they were due first. I was conveniently unemployed and dedicated 3-4 months to writing and editing. This process was brutal but worthwhile. I recall spending three days rewriting two sentences (granted… it was the introduction). I spent most of my time refining each paragraph and carefully considering each word I used.

Strength of LOR’s (be honest, describe the process, etc):  INCREDIBLY STRONG! For the first rec letter, my professor told me she tailored each letter for each school. For my second rec letter, I was able to read an older version from 2016. My professor mentioned I stood out of 400 undergrad students in a GE class, excelled in his upper-division class, and subsequently hired me for the remainder of my undergrad career. I worked for his start-up until it busted then as his research assistant. Eventually, I assisted in the Econ lab for experiments my senior year. My 3rd rec letter is from a professor with who I have become close friends.

Other: I was apprehensive of asking only my professors for rec letters because I have been out of school for 5 years. After undergrad, I worked at a financial institution that made me deeply unhappy, and my dissatisfaction eventually showed through my work performance. I had a gut feeling a rec letter from my boss wasn’t going to be a good idea, and I am happy I trusted my instinct.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP/MPA (interested in domestic social policy)
Schools Applied To:  Columbia SIPA MPA; Georgetown McCourt MPP; Harvard Kennedy MPP; NYU Wagner MPA-PNP; Syracuse Maxwell MPA; Michigan Ford MPP; two non-ranked programs in my home state
Schools Admitted To:  Columbia SIPA MPA ($$); Georgetown McCourt MPP ($$); Harvard Kennedy MPP (zero); NYU Wagner MPA-PNP (zero); Syracuse Maxwell MPA ($$$ + GA position and cash stipend); Michigan Ford MPP ($ - requested consideration for additional funding); State School #1 (zero)
Schools Rejected From: N/A  
Still Waiting:  State School #2
Undergraduate Institution:  Top 30 private liberal arts school
Undergraduate GPA:   3.74
Undergraduate Major:  Business/Political Science
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  159 (69th percentile)/166 (97th percentile)/5.0 (92nd percentile)
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  3.5 years
Years of Work Experience:  3.5 years + worked part time throughout most of undergrad (four internships, quantitative-focused tutoring, and TA position)
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Consulting with regulatory risk focus; various non-profits focused on educational access, social entrepreneurship, and reproductive rights; two student research grants
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc.): Not perfect, but I would say my writing is strong and that my personal statement told a story about who I am, how my academic interests have evolved over time, and why I am looking to make the jump from the private sector to the public sector.
Strength of LORs (be honest, describe the process, etc.):  Possibly the weakest part of my application. One was from my minor advisor (did very well in the department) while the other two were from supervisors at my current job, who do like me quite a bit. I decided to apply in late fall/early winter and subsequently asked folks who I felt would be easier to approach somewhat last minute instead of reconnecting with some of my poli sci professors that may have been able to write more targeted recs.
Other: In most instances, I applied to JD programs as well in hopes of doing a joint/concurrent degree. So far, I’ve been rejected by HLS and accepted by Syracuse ($$) and two state schools (pending funding decisions). Going into this process, I was very adamant that funding would dictate my decision, but the gut feeling I got when I opened by HKS acceptance really threw me for a loop. My undergraduate studies were covered by a full merit scholarship, so student loans are admittedly terrifying to me and I'm struggling to justify the price tag. Harvard and Michigan are my front runners in a world where money doesn't matter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Applying to: Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown McCourt MPP, Duke Sanford MPP, Harvard Kennedy MPP, NYU Wagner MSPP 

Admitted to: Harris ($), McCourt ($$), Sanford ($$), NYU ($)

Rejected: HKS

Undergrad institution: Non-HYP Ivy

Undergrad Major: Government, Minor in Public Policy

Undergrad GPA: 3.81 (haven't calculated major GPA separately, but it's probably pretty close) 

Years out of undergrad: 1 at the time of application

Quant Background: College credit for AP Calc,  intro micro (B)/macro (A) econ, intro stats with R (A-), Mathematics in Politics (A), plus some light Stata training in an internship.

Relevant Work Experience: Research internship with a high profile think tank in DC, interned with a local campaign, the NY state assembly, and an NYC DA, been a constituent liaison in NYC ever since I graduated undergrad last year.

GRE: 165/167/5.5 (Verbal/Quant/AWA)

Strength of LOR: I think all three were decently strong. Two were from college professors who taught research methods courses that I did well in, the other was from my current supervisor.

Strength of SOP: I think they were solid, I talked about how important voting rights and electoral reform (which were my current focus areas, though I've begun to heavily consider health policy) have been to me from a very young age, how it influenced my extracurriculars in college, and customized them by discussing how I plan to use the tools/unique policy centers/connections from each school to further my career. 

Extracurriculars/Leadership: I was elected to the executive board of one of my school's largest political clubs, and I helped to train volunteers on a campaign I interned for. 

I chose McCourt mostly based on the location, as I have my heart set on working in the federal (or federal-facing) sector and don't have much of a DC network, plus I loved living in DC for a few months during undergrad. I don't have a car, or even a license, and I heard from many Sanford students that life at Duke without a car is doable, but tough, and the idea of being so far from a major city with such a small cohort in a small town was a dealbreaker for me. Harris didn't offer me nearly as much aid as I was hoping for, and the recently-ballooning class size (which seems to be primarily drawing inexperienced people right out of undergrad) was a bit of a red flag for me. I also despise cold weather, and going through another harsh winter between when I applied and decision time reminded me how much it affects my mental state. Although I'm aware of (and appreciate) the criticism that some people on this forum have for McCourt, I believe I'm adaptable and energetic enough career-wise to make up for its weaker career services and rumoredly-lackadaisical peer environment, and since I know I want to work in DC after I graduate, it seemed like the deficiencies would be compensated for by not having to start my DC network from scratch after graduation. Thank you to everyone (especially @GradSchoolGrad) for all the information you have shared.  

Would love any opinions on Wagner MPA v Harris MPP v McCourt MPP, with funding all of them are essentially the same price. Interested in working state department/ UN in intl security policy with a slight preference to be in NYC but cant decide if that makes NYU the right choice 

11 hours ago, gtg said:

Would love any opinions on Wagner MPA v Harris MPP v McCourt MPP, with funding all of them are essentially the same price. Interested in working state department/ UN in intl security policy with a slight preference to be in NYC but cant decide if that makes NYU the right choice 

None of those schools are great for UN, State Dept, or international security. NYU Wagner is heavily domestic policy focused. McCourt is Federal Powers and IDEV but very few touch State or Security. Harris is the best overall but doesn’t really attack what you want directly.

SIPA, MSFS, and IR a related programs is what you should be attacking

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Applying to: NYU Wagner MPA, Chicago Harris MSCAPP, Syracuse MPA, UCLA MPP, Carnegie Mellon MSPPM, Michigan MPP, Berkeley MPP, Princeton MPA

Admitted to: NYU ($$), Chicago ($$), CMU ($$), Syracuse ($$$$), UCLA, Michigan, Cal

Rejected: Princeton

Undergrad institution: Non-HYP Ivy

Undergrad Major: Political Science

Undergrad GPA: 3.71

Years out of undergrad: 4.5

Quant Background: 1 Econ class, 1 Calc class, Stats courses through 3000 level, several years of work experience in a data role

Relevant Work Experience: Worked on a major political campaign, I think my private sector work is sort of functionally relevant

GRE: 168 V/154 Q/4.0 AWA (Didn’t retake because of COVID, only sent to Princeton)

Strength of LOR: I didn’t read them, but they came from a college professor I’m very close with, a boss of several years, and supervisor at a volunteer role of several years

Strength of SOP: I poured my heart into these! And asked for multiple rounds of feedback from my smartest and most merciless friends. I talked about my commitment to promoting equity in cities, especially housing justice, and the possibilities and limits of data and technology in supporting this goal.

Extracurriculars/Leadership: Several years of volunteering and organizing with community groups

And after much agonizing I chose (drumroll) NYU Wagner! This forum was so comforting and fun. I really appreciated reading everyone’s thoughts (echoing van_96, @GradSchoolGrad you're a mensch).

Edited by hanburger

Application Details

• Programs: Public Policy or Public Affairs, see signature for all schools.
  • Schools Applied To:  Accepted to all ranging from half to full tuition. Rejected from none.
  • Attending: Princeton MPA
  • Undergraduate Institution: Top 5 U.S. private school
  • Undergraduate GPA:  < 3.3
  • Undergraduate Major: STEM
  • GRE: 80% Q / 93% V / 99% AW. Sent to all schools.
  • Years Out/Work Exp.: 4
  • Relevant Work Experience: Government agency closely aligned with my interests and goals. Lots of energy dedicated to community organizing in my area of interest. Worked in civic tech-esque part of private sector before.
  • Strength of SOP: I had an air-tight narrative that connected my upbringing, academic background, and current/future endeavors specifically for the school. Very public service oriented and clear vision of impact I want to realize.
  • Strength of LORs:  Extremely strong letters from professor, current supervisor, and community organizing mentor. Wrote a LOR packet for each writer to ensure each letter testified to a different parts of my work in and commitment to public service.

General Advice

• Get feedback: Asked for feedback from literally anyone I could on grammar, tone, and content. I only wish I had asked for it earlier, instead of waiting until my drafts were completely done. I also enrolled in some mentorship or student feedback programs geared towards underrepresented students, I would recommend looking into these if you don’t have friends or peers to give you feedback: UCLA PPDE, USC MAP, HKS.
  • Write about what you know: I wrote it about a law I work with every day and firmly believe my familiarity with my chosen topic made it a strong memo. I also referenced it multiple times throughout my application.
  • Letters of Recommendation: I debated veering a bit more academic with my LORs at first, but ultimately decided on asking letters from those I felt could best convey who I am as an entire person and not just an academic or practitioner. This resulted in three extremely strong letters as my recommenders  knew my journey and heart and were rooting for me from the moment I told them about my goals.

This journey has been deeply personal for me, and pursuing further education was not a decision I made lightly and I never thought I’d be able to attend Princeton after a difficult undergraduate journey. Please, please, please don’t let the profiles on here deter you from applying to more competitive schools. If you know why you want to go to policy school, make it abundantly clear through your writing and work and do not leave anything on the table. Grateful for folks on this forum for the advice and camaraderie—will try to revisit this website to pay it forward so future applicants, please message me questions!

On 2/12/2021 at 11:05 AM, undergoat88 said:

Programs/Schools Applied To: Chicago Harris MPP, GWU Columbian MPP, American SIS IAPA, UVA Batten MPP, UM Ford MPP, GMU Schar MPP, NYU Wagner MPA-PNP
Schools Admitted To:  All! Chicago Harris MPP ($$), GWU Columbian MPP ($), American SIS IAPA ($$), UVA Batten MPP ($$$), UM Ford MPP ($$$$), GMU Schar MPP ($$$$), NYU Wagner MPA-PNP ($)
Schools Rejected From:  :*)
Undergraduate Institution: Private Midwest, Mid-tier
Undergraduate GPA:   3.8
Undergraduate Major: IR
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  None :)
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  4
Years of Work Experience:  3.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Taught abroad, think tank, IDEV
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Friends told me they were great in the end! But who knows what schools actually think
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Two professional, one academic. I have great relationships with them all. I personally dont see value in getting LORs from ~super special people if they don't know you well

Updated as of April 16!

Final decision: UM Ford MPP :)

Thoughts: This was SUCH a tough decision. In the end it came down to Ford vs. Batten. I was so impressed with the Batten admissions team. They were genuinely helpful and transparent. For a while I really thought I was going to UVA. I ended up getting a cool offer from Ford that I wasn't expecting. Despite how much I liked the Batten admissions team, there was no denying the simple fact that I would have more opportunity at Ford. Michigan's program is more established and, as someone who loves social policy, who would say no to the top social policy school? Not I. 

Having gotten into all of the programs I applied to with some funding, I am still a little surprised in that I didn't think I was that competitive. All of the schools mentioned in their webinars that their applications were up a crazy number this year, too, so it was a nice vote of confidence I suppose. I didn't apply to some ~top tier schools~ simply because I didn't take the GRE and they were still requiring the GRE during the pandemic (annoying).

That said, maybe I should have and maybe you should, too! Apply to whatever you think is not within your reach, because it probably is! Don't let impostor syndrome or reading posts on gradcafe get to you. This forum has been massively helpful over the last few months and, like so many others, I am indebted. Feel free to reach out if you need advice on application season!!! Side note - had absolutely zero luck negotiating, but glad I did it anyway.

4 hours ago, undergoat88 said:

Updated as of April 16!

Final decision: UM Ford MPP :)

Thoughts: This was SUCH a tough decision. In the end it came down to Ford vs. Batten. I was so impressed with the Batten admissions team. They were genuinely helpful and transparent. For a while I really thought I was going to UVA. I ended up getting a cool offer from Ford that I wasn't expecting. Despite how much I liked the Batten admissions team, there was no denying the simple fact that I would have more opportunity at Ford. Michigan's program is more established and, as someone who loves social policy, who would say no to the top social policy school? Not I. 

Having gotten into all of the programs I applied to with some funding, I am still a little surprised in that I didn't think I was that competitive. All of the schools mentioned in their webinars that their applications were up a crazy number this year, too, so it was a nice vote of confidence I suppose. I didn't apply to some ~top tier schools~ simply because I didn't take the GRE and they were still requiring the GRE during the pandemic (annoying).

That said, maybe I should have and maybe you should, too! Apply to whatever you think is not within your reach, because it probably is! Don't let impostor syndrome or reading posts on gradcafe get to you. This forum has been massively helpful over the last few months and, like so many others, I am indebted. Feel free to reach out if you need advice on application season!!! Side note - had absolutely zero luck negotiating, but glad I did it anyway.

Good Luck! So glad that you got a great offer from Ford. I also had a tough luck negotiating but it was worth trying. 

Applying to: Pardee RAND Policy Analysis PhD, Tulane Economics and Policy Analysis PhD, University of Michigan Economics/Public Policy PhD, Duke University Public Policy PhD, Tufts University Economics/Public Policy PhD

Admitted to: RAND, Tufts (both w/funding)

Rejected: Michigan, Duke (not even an interview!)

Undergrad institution: flagship state school

Undergrad Major: Spanish/Global Studies

Undergrad GPA: 3.54

Years out of undergrad: 8

Quant Background: Calc III, Stats and Econometrics, Time Series, Generalized Linear Models, and some other stats/modeling stuff from my master's program (master's in public policy)

Relevant Work Experience: No real research experience to speak of beyond master's program. 2 years Peace Corps, 4 years federal government international affairs work.

GRE: 166 V/163 Q/4.0 AWA

Strength of LOR: Three profs from my master's program who have really good impressions of me.

Strength of SOP: Just tried to be as honest as possible to represent my motivations and experience and let the readers decide whether I'm a fit or not. I just wanted to find a department who really wants me! I spoke about my interest in studying economic inequality and how pursuing a PhD is a career pivot for me (from practitioner to researcher), but still in line with my consistent interest in public policy.

Extracurriculars/Leadership: Technically I did list some things on my resume (affinity groups I was involved in in grad school, Spanish ESL and Econ tutoring from back in the day in undergrad, band and music related services organizations I was a part of, etc.). . .I've done a lot of stuff, but I'm not sure it factors in for a PhD application?

VERY excited that I've accepted the Tufts offer, looking forward to getting started!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP (also some quant heavy MPH programs)

Schools Applied To:  Heller, Northeastern, Harris, USC, UCSD, American

Schools Admitted To:  Heller (with scholarship), Northeastern (with scholarship), American (just loans)

Schools Rejected From:  

Still Waiting:  UChicago, USC, UCSD

Undergraduate Institution:  Top 50

Undergraduate GPA:   3.95

Undergraduate Major:  Psychology

GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  Didn’t take, background in statistics

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  1

Years of Work Experience:  2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: clinical/healthcare research, publications and posters

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I think it was strong. I was able to relate my experiences in clinical research to why I wanted to work in health policy. I had 2 friends help edit it.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  2 lab supervisors- very strong, 1 lab supervisor/professor- less strong

Other: I applied early April so very late in the game. I’m not too optimistic about hearing from Harris, USC, & UCSD but who knows!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 1:05 PM, ls259 said:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP (also some quant heavy MPH programs)

Schools Applied To:  Heller, Northeastern, Harris, USC, UCSD, American

Schools Admitted To:  Heller (with scholarship), Northeastern (with scholarship), American (just loans)

Schools Rejected From:  

Still Waiting:  UChicago, USC, UCSD

Undergraduate Institution:  Top 50

Undergraduate GPA:   3.95

Undergraduate Major:  Psychology

GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  Didn’t take, background in statistics

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  1

Years of Work Experience:  2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: clinical/healthcare research, publications and posters

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I think it was strong. I was able to relate my experiences in clinical research to why I wanted to work in health policy. I had 2 friends help edit it.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  2 lab supervisors- very strong, 1 lab supervisor/professor- less strong

Other: I applied early April so very late in the game. I’m not too optimistic about hearing from Harris, USC, & UCSD but who knows!

You need to avoid Heller like the plague. Just read other posts about Heller for the details. I can speak to it at length as well. 

9 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

You need to avoid Heller like the plague. Just read other posts about Heller for the details. I can speak to it at length as well. 

I'm curious why you say that. Why do you not think highly of it? 

15 minutes ago, ls259 said:

I'm curious why you say that. Why do you not think highly of it? 

Where do I start:

- Academics - super weak on quant, which means really diminishes the range of jobs you are truly eligible for in the policy space whereby you would compete with other MPPs/MPAs. Also relatively limited academic range

- Brand value - not great, lower 3rd tier at best... (if HKS/SPIA are top tier and Duke Terry Sanford and USC Price are 2nd

- Career placement - they don't show stats (usually that is for a reason). Also some of the people they illustrate as success stories are entering jobs at lower levels than the average post-grad

- Community - lots of in-group and out-grouping (more so than the average MPP program) + lacks diversity 

- Cost of living - as high, if not higher than NYC 

Long story made short. Don't waste your time. Even if you are going there for free, I wouldn't do it. Yes, there is something as a higher ed degree going against you if your career progression doesn't reflect a bump from it.

I strongly recommend you reapply for grad school for next cycle, whereby it should a easier cycle (less competitive), and you will likely have better options. It also hurt you to start so late in terms of getting scholarship.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

21 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Where do I start:

- Academics - super weak on quant, which means really diminishes the range of jobs you are truly eligible for in the policy space whereby you would compete with other MPPs/MPAs. Also relatively limited academic range

- Brand value - not great, lower 3rd tier at best... (if HKS/SPIA are top tier and Duke Terry Sanford and USC Price are 2nd

- Career placement - they don't show stats (usually that is for a reason). Also some of the people they illustrate as success stories are entering jobs at lower levels than the average post-grad

- Community - lots of in-group and out-grouping (more so than the average MPP program) + lacks diversity 

- Cost of living - as high, if not higher than NYC 

Long story made short. Don't waste your time. Even if you are going there for free, I wouldn't do it. Yes, there is something as a higher ed degree going against you if your career progression doesn't reflect a bump from it.

I strongly recommend you reapply for grad school for next cycle, whereby it should a easier cycle (less competitive), and you will likely have better options. It also hurt you to start so late in terms of getting scholarship.

I’ve already happily committed to Heller but it’s interesting to hear your thoughts.

They do have career stats on their website with % employed after graduating and breakdown based on sector/location if that's what you meant. I would agree re: quant emphasis, but thankfully there is lots of room for electives and they’ve got a good amount of quant courses even some on big data/modeling. Like any degree it seems like it’s what you make of it that matters! 

Also the cost of living in Waltham, MA is not comparable to NYC ?

39 minutes ago, ls259 said:

I’ve already happily committed to Heller but it’s interesting to hear your thoughts.

They do have career stats on their website with % employed after graduating and breakdown based on sector/location if that's what you meant. I would agree re: quant emphasis, but thankfully there is lots of room for electives and they’ve got a good amount of quant courses even some on big data/modeling. Like any degree it seems like it’s what you make of it that matters! 

Also the cost of living in Waltham, MA is not comparable to NYC ?

They have stats from 2018 for MPP - https://heller.brandeis.edu/mpp/careers/outcomes.html

Which is super misleading because that was a good year at large due to economy strength and public policy activation. They should be honest like other schools and post class of 2020. How they aren't posting 2020 means there is something they are hiding - either bad stats or bad operations. 

Yes, adult cost of living - NYC will lose. But grad school can be less since you don't have to worry about car costs. Also, commuting from expensive neighborhoods (Cambridge and BackBay). I mean different lifestyle will reveal different things. We can call that a wash.

Good luck on your journey. I hope it works well for you. 

For everyone else, I recommend you read the fine print and in between the lines. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

22 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

They have stats from 2018 for MPP - https://heller.brandeis.edu/mpp/careers/outcomes.html

Which is super misleading because that was a good year at large due to economy strength and public policy activation. They should be honest like other schools and post class of 2020. How they aren't posting 2020 means there is something they are hiding - either bad stats or bad operations. 

Yes, adult cost of living - NYC will lose. But grad school can be less since you don't have to worry about car costs. Also, commuting from expensive neighborhoods (Cambridge and BackBay). I mean different lifestyle will reveal different things. We can call that a wash.

Good luck on your journey. I hope it works well for you. 

For everyone else, I recommend you read the fine print and in between the lines. 

Christ you are insufferable. Someone has happily committed to a school they are clearly excited about and you seemingly take pleasure in undermining that. Seriously, grow up. You went to ONE graduate school and for some unknown reason you act like you know the details of EVERY graduate school. 

@ls259 for what it is worth, I have three colleagues that went to Heller and must be making at least $150K the year out of school. Best of luck this coming fall. Enjoy yourself and make sure to take advantage of all the interesting opportunities you are going to have. And lastly, ignore insufferable fools like the above poster both in school and throughout your professional life!

On 5/7/2021 at 3:08 PM, AdvancedDegreeAlumnus said:

Christ you are insufferable. Someone has happily committed to a school they are clearly excited about and you seemingly take pleasure in undermining that. Seriously, grow up. You went to ONE graduate school and for some unknown reason you act like you know the details of EVERY graduate school. 

@ls259 for what it is worth, I have three colleagues that went to Heller and must be making at least $150K the year out of school. Best of luck this coming fall. Enjoy yourself and make sure to take advantage of all the interesting opportunities you are going to have. And lastly, ignore insufferable fools like the above poster both in school and throughout your professional life!

You can be hateful all you want, but it might help if you were my curious rather than judgmental. This video might help illustrate it for you: 

Because if you were curious and asked my why I give my thoughts in a blunt manner, I would say something like.

- I graduated from graduate school 3 times (full scholarship each time)... twice focused on higher ed in different ways

- Had the six figure salary out of grad school twice

- Had the press clippings/social media postings for my accomplishments set

but I wish much of it never happened. I wish someone could tell me the cold hard perspectives about how I could have not wasted my time and just done grad school right the first time rather than the third time. I know I am not alone. So many of my friends from grad school wish someone would have stepped up and gave their perspectives bluntly. 

Like many - I chased the pressure to just get get grad school done (with brand being a plus) without really figuring out why I really went to grad school. People just shook my hand and applauded me because they were too nice to really give me meaningful candid advice. I want to be the change that I want to see. In fact, one of the best off people I know is someone who never showed up to grad school after getting admitted because someone was there for her to tell the hard truth. 

Feel free to challenge my perspectives (I am of course very respectful and curious about your background and intents for this forum) and I apologize if I come off as blunt at times (I'll blame it on my current negotiations heavy job). But being being judgmental rather than curious means you are missing out on so much. I want to thank the many people on this forum who have messaged me with their appreciation (regardless of if you agreed with me or not). It is a honor to have helped you with you life's journey.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

• 7 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 4:08 PM, AdvancedDegreeAlumnus said:

The multiple 150K offers at Heller is complete bullsh*t.

As a Heller grad, I can tell you that nearly no one who graduates from Heller makes over 70 to 80K their first year out. Heller grads usually have a really hard time finding work, and the work that they do find is usually very low pay. The job titles may sound great, but they are mostly administrative assistant (aka "Program Manager") jobs that do not pay well.

I don't want to name names, but if you look past the job titles of the students who the school usually touts as being their all stars, they are usually paid sh*t. They also pad their resumes up with a bunch of BS memberships on boards of directors for BS orgs that usually can't list a single accomplishment except a resume add.