PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

On 1/19/2022 at 2:48 PM, DrPH Hopeful 2022 said:

Thanks for the update! I expected a rejection from them, but it's nice to have some closure on one of these applications. 

@Howisit2022already @drphhopefulI didn't get an interview invite either so I guess we're all in the same boat on this one...what are the chances they only interviewed candidates they are on the fence about? Trying to hang on to a last shred of hope lol 

7 hours ago, healtheconphd said:

Hello all! Just discovered GradCafe today and now I hooked!

I applied to the following programs (all health economics tracks) and I've heard back from the first three:

• Johns Hopkins PhD Health Policy & Management (Interviewed on 1/13)
  • Stanford PhD Health Policy (Interviewing on 1/31, 2/4)
  • UPenn Wharton Health Care Management & Economics (Interviewing on 2/11)
  • Harvard PhD Health Policy (no word yet)
  • Yale PhD Health Policy & Management (no word yet)
  • Berkeley PhD Health Policy (no word yet)

Has anyone heard from the latter three? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

I also haven't heard from Harvard or Yale (both econ tracks), however it looks like silent rejections for me from Wharton and Michigan. I also interviewed for the JHU Health Econ track on 01/13.

Updates are below:

1) BU PhD HSR (Interviewed 01/05, next interview 02/11)

2) Johns Hopkins PhD Health Economics and Policy (Interviewed 01/13)

3) GW Health Policy (Interviewed 01/17)

4) Brown PhD HSR (Interview 01/28)

No word from JHU HSR, Yale HSR, Harvard Health Policy, and UMN HSR.

13 hours ago, fingerscrossedphd said:

Have you heard/know anything about their DrPH acceptance rates (esp for the online/distance programs)? I've been trying to find it online but haven't had any success. Good luck to you!!

Yes, they mentioned in one of the admissions sessions it's historically been about or below 15%. From talking with a faculty member I know at hopkins, she said they are expecting a very high number of applications because of the pandemic due to overwhelming new interest in public health, but that many of these applications would probably be low quality.

Hi everyone! Thought I would put up the school I've applied to and update when/if I hear back. Interested in research regarding the interplay between chronic and infectious diseases. 

1. Columbia (Epi):
2. Hopkins (International Health & General Epi):
3. Harvard (PHS-Epi):
4. Yale (EMD-Epi):
5. Brown (Epi): interview invite via email for next week
6. BU (Epi): 

Wishing you all the very best of luck this cycle and hopefully we'll all hear back soon! (crossing my fingers that it'll be a good thing to hear back soon)

On 1/20/2022 at 12:32 AM, Bpt08 said:

Has anyone heard back from the following programs?

University of Washington PhD in Global Health Metrics & Implementation Sci

Columbia PhD in Epidemiology

Harvard PhD in Epidemiology

Yale PhD in Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases

Boston University PhD in Epidemiology

Hi! I had interviews with UW Global Health Metrics this week and last week.

8 hours ago, healtheconphd said:

Hello all! Just discovered GradCafe today and now I hooked!

I applied to the following programs (all health economics tracks) and I've heard back from the first three:

• Johns Hopkins PhD Health Policy & Management (Interviewed on 1/13)
  • Stanford PhD Health Policy (Interviewing on 1/31, 2/4)
  • UPenn Wharton Health Care Management & Economics (Interviewing on 2/11)
  • Harvard PhD Health Policy (no word yet)
  • Yale PhD Health Policy & Management (no word yet)
  • Berkeley PhD Health Policy (no word yet)

Has anyone heard from the latter three? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Curious to know when you heard from Wharton?

1 hour ago, eltee said:

@Howisit2022already @drphhopefulI didn't get an interview invite either so I guess we're all in the same boat on this one...what are the chances they only interviewed candidates they are on the fence about? Trying to hang on to a last shred of hope lol 

Hmm it seems unlikely. The email this person received included a congratulatory message for being shortlisted, and also indicated 2 rounds of interviews. From previous years, it looks like that was the case as well, and the applicants who don't get through the 2nd round tend to get waitlisted. 

1 hour ago, aap96 said:

Hi everyone,

The waiting game is not a fun one to play. I find myself on here multiple times a day. I have not heard from any program yet.

Good luck to everyone!

I’ve applied to:

Temple University- Epidemiology 

Drexel- Environmental and Occupational  Health

Rutgers- Environmental and Occupational Health

Columbia- Environmental Health

CUNY- Environmental and Planetary Health

Yale- Environmental Health

Hi I applied to Environmental Health at Yale too! A faculty reached out about scheduling an interview last night. Sounds like they just started to do interviews!

10 minutes ago, 2021fallepiphd said:

Hi I applied to Environmental Health at Yale too! A faculty reached out about scheduling an interview last night. Sounds like they just started to do interviews!

Wow congratulations! Would you mind sharing your PI? 

18 hours ago, smellycat said:

Thats insane! How did it go? Did they mention anything about interview timelines?

I think it went well. He mentioned that he wasn't on the committee but that they were going to make some decisions without meeting people (!) and that the committee was reconvening today after the interviews they did decide to do.

1 hour ago, RMSK said:

in Canada not all schools conduct interviews but there are few that do

Sorry I'm not too much help in answering your question, but do you know which Canadian schools interview and which do not?

1 hour ago, RMSK said:

What is typically asked during the interviews? 

I only got two interviews last year and they were very different experiences. The first was a full day event with informational sessions, lunch with current students, and then four individual interviews (one with the director, one with the associate director, one with the track director, and one with a faculty member). Everyone asked slightly different questions but a lot related to why a PhD now/what brought me to public health, why that program, how a PhD would prepare me for future career goals, and then some people asked specific questions like describe your research experience, experience with publishing/disseminating research findings, etc. depending on the focus of the program. And of course be prepared to discuss your research interests and the "why" behind them. The second interview I had was only with one faculty member who was on the admissions committee and it was pretty broad and we mostly just chatted and I asked a bunch of questions. 

3 hours ago, 2021fallepiphd said:

Congratulations! Hopefully I hear something soon.

1 hour ago, ambitiousturkey said:

I think it went well. He mentioned that he wasn't on the committee but that they were going to make some decisions without meeting people (!) and that the committee was reconvening today after the interviews they did decide to do.

oh wow - so people could be accepted into the program without meeting anyone on faculty/no interview? That is so strange. I wonder why some receive an interview, and others will not.

edit:was this for the epi track?

Edited by smellycat

On 1/21/2022 at 4:09 AM, AvaGlobal23 said:

I have UW Epi and Boston Epi as well. I reached out to the program coordinator at UW and he said they would be sending out decisions sometime this week. It’s already Thursday so any moment from now! Remain hopeful! 

Still no news from UW.. it looks like we may need to wait until next week 

6 hours ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

Sorry I'm not too much help in answering your question, but do you know which Canadian schools interview and which do not?

I only got two interviews last year and they were very different experiences. The first was a full day event with informational sessions, lunch with current students, and then four individual interviews (one with the director, one with the associate director, one with the track director, and one with a faculty member). Everyone asked slightly different questions but a lot related to why a PhD now/what brought me to public health, why that program, how a PhD would prepare me for future career goals, and then some people asked specific questions like describe your research experience, experience with publishing/disseminating research findings, etc. depending on the focus of the program. And of course be prepared to discuss your research interests and the "why" behind them. The second interview I had was only with one faculty member who was on the admissions committee and it was pretty broad and we mostly just chatted and I asked a bunch of questions. 

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve only heard of UofT doing interviews and that’s on a case by case basis, typically students have to identify a supervisor prior to applying to the program so the “interviews” are just casual chats with a prof before applying.