Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

Has anyone heard anything from uOttawa? My application is still sitting at ‘Under Evaluation’… this is the only program I applied to and the wait for an answer has been agony! I did see that my application ‘Requirements’ list was updated to show ‘Approval of Supervisor’ with a check mark and the prof I’ve been in contact with’s name, so I am assuming this is a good sign? I just want confirmation so I can stop refreshing the portal 10x a day while I’m at work…

4 hours ago, Liloxo said:

I've never head of CityU or Athabasca. Are these schools accredited with the CRPO?? 

Athabasca's course is accredited by the Alberta College of Psychologists for a Psychologist designation as well as the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association for their accreditation, so will be applicable country wide most likely with the CRPO I'd imagine. The CCPA is country wide anyway. CityU (City University of Seattle) is not directly accredited by the CCPA but is does give graduates the ability to apply, and they do get accredited.  

Athabasca is the only government run online program at the moment since Calgary paused theirs recently, which means it is accredited and cheaper, so I don't understand why people seem to talk about Yorkville more than there. You can also do a thesis if you want to progress to a doctorate. CityU is based in the west of Canada but it does also offer an online program, and is cheaper than places like Adler and Yorkville as it's a non-profit unlike those. I just found it weird that no one ever seems to mention Athabasca or City, especially Athabasca. Maybe they just have terrible marketing! 

2 hours ago, firefly500 said:

Has anyone heard anything from uOttawa? My application is still sitting at ‘Under Evaluation’… this is the only program I applied to and the wait for an answer has been agony! I did see that my application ‘Requirements’ list was updated to show ‘Approval of Supervisor’ with a check mark and the prof I’ve been in contact with’s name, so I am assuming this is a good sign? I just want confirmation so I can stop refreshing the portal 10x a day while I’m at work…

Did you apply for the MA? I applied for the MEd and emailed them a few days ago since I was on the waiting list. They just said that they will inform me once a decision has been made. Has anyone, besides that one person, gotten an acceptance from uOttawa?

6 minutes ago, teacoffee said:

Did you apply for the MA? I applied for the MEd and emailed them a few days ago since I was on the waiting list. They just said that they will inform me once a decision has been made. Has anyone, besides that one person, gotten an acceptance from uOttawa?

I’ve been on the waitlist since Feb 17th for the MEd (mrp). Also waiting to hear back.. I’ve only heard of people being rejected or waitlisted. 

28 minutes ago, teacoffee said:

Yes I applied for the MA. I also applied for the MEd (major research paper option) and that’s sitting at ‘Under Evaluation’ as well. I emailed a couple weeks ago and was told that decisions should come out ‘any day now’, but now it’s been weeks, lol. I am wondering if the decisions are somewhat delayed due to the convoy shutting down the city for some time. I do some RA work at a lab at uOttawa and my work was cancelled for a few weeks during the convoy, so I’m wondering if this could have impacted the decisions timeline overall? At this point I’m just grasping at straws trying to rationalize the super long wait…

Edited by firefly500

15 hours ago, psychmaybe said:

Athabasca's course is accredited by the Alberta College of Psychologists for a Psychologist designation as well as the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association for their accreditation, so will be applicable country wide most likely with the CRPO I'd imagine. The CCPA is country wide anyway. CityU (City University of Seattle) is not directly accredited by the CCPA but is does give graduates the ability to apply, and they do get accredited.  

Athabasca is the only government run online program at the moment since Calgary paused theirs recently, which means it is accredited and cheaper, so I don't understand why people seem to talk about Yorkville more than there. You can also do a thesis if you want to progress to a doctorate. CityU is based in the west of Canada but it does also offer an online program, and is cheaper than places like Adler and Yorkville as it's a non-profit unlike those. I just found it weird that no one ever seems to mention Athabasca or City, especially Athabasca. Maybe they just have terrible marketing! 

Hey!
Thanks for bringing this up. I went on Athabasca’s website and it says you can finish the course in as little as 3.5 years, so that’s almost 4 years of completing a Masters degree. I feel it is too long, as you can legit complete 2 masters within this time frame. 

2 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Hey!
Thanks for bringing this up. I went on Athabasca’s website and it says you can finish the course in as little as 3.5 years, so that’s almost 4 years of completing a Masters degree. I feel it is too long, as you can legit complete 2 masters within this time frame. 

True, it is a while. At risk of sounding like a shrill for Athabasca (I'm not I swear!) but it seems a lot of programs are like that for counselling though. UBC's average completion time according to their website is 3.5 years too, SFU is 9 terms. Even Yorkville suggests 2.5 years not including placement time, which I would bet good money pushes it closer to 3 years at least. I guess it's also a case of cost. Some places will offer it faster, and I imagine it's totally doable, but at the cost of not being able to work and therefore graduating with more debt at the very least. 

2 hours ago, ManukaHoney said:

Hey!

This is because Athabasca's program, along with other MC programs (as opposed to MEd, MA, etc.) are focused on practice and professional development. They primarily take those who are in the workforce and are looking to become practitioners (e.g., teachers). Those who take MC programs typically work full or part time and complete their masters part time, hence why it takes longer for these programs to be completed. But like psychmaybe said, a lot of counselling programs do take longer than 2 years to complete. Those that do a thesis-based program may be closer to the 3 year mark for some programs. 

Hi imfeeling2022,

I know the lack of news can be really nerve wracking! I'm in the same boat! Is it the MA in Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy that you've applied to at Laurier? If so, I applied there too and have been waiting to hear back as well! This entire process has been excruciatingly discouraging.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:30 PM, imfeeling2022 said:

Has anyone heard anything new today? UofT, Mac and Laurier have been real quiet with me, and I know others have been getting acceptances, waitlists and rejections.

Hi imfeeling2022,

I know the lack of news can be really nerve wracking! I'm in the same boat! Is it the MA in Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy that you've applied to at Laurier? If so, I applied there too and have been waiting to hear back as well! This entire process has been excruciatingly discouraging.

I'm currently waitlisted for U of C's School and Applied Child Psych program. Is there anyone that got an offer and is going to decline or has declined already. 

I need to sign a housing contract for another program I got accepted into so I really need to know whether or not I have a chance of getting off of the waitlist!

On 3/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, firefly500 said:

Hey! I'm in the same boat! I have been refreshing constantly, and when I read that your requirements list updated I checked mine too and it has also been updated with the prof who said they will take me. This is also for the MA Counselling Psych UOttawa, hopinng they send out acceptances soon!

34 minutes ago, Counsel_Psyc said:

Hey! I'm in the same boat! I have been refreshing constantly, and when I read that your requirements list updated I checked mine too and it has also been updated with the prof who said they will take me. This is also for the MA Counselling Psych UOttawa, hopinng they send out acceptances soon!

That’s good to know!! I hope we hear soon!

Hi everyone,

Just made an account to post my results here...long time lurker. I was offered admission into Western University's MA in Counselling Psychology program on March 15th (interview was March 8th - Accepted my offer!). This was my second time applying and I was really shocked that I made it in - let alone even being offered an interview. 

I'd be thrilled to see if I can connect with others in my cohort through this site or even share some of my experiences about the application! 

Thanks!!

Good morning all!
Not trying to be negative, but every Monday I hope to see SOMETHING change on the portal for the UofT MED Counselling & Psychotherapy application. I don’t know how much more waiting I can handle. Literally every other school in Canada has already given results except the OISE program.  

Edited by ManukaHoney

1 hour ago, ManukaHoney said:

Good morning all!
Not trying to be negative, but every Monday I hope to see SOMETHING change on the portal for the UofT MED Counselling & Psychotherapy application. I don’t know how much more waiting I can handle. Literally every other school in Canada has already given results except the OISE program.  

Are you talking about ACORN? I tried to get onto JOINid and it said my account was invalid or something, even though I had activated it.