Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

On 9/28/2021 at 9:37 AM, carlrogersfan98 said:

I have an SOI question. I want to discuss my practical experience, which includes my background in assessment. I want to provide examples of some particularly well-known tests that I know how to administer, particularly the MMPI and WAIS. Because the full names of them are so long, when I type them out they look so clunky and take up so much room. Do y'all think it would be safe to assume the people reading my statement would know what those tests are as they're quite well-recognized amongst clinicians? I know the answer is to not assume this but I'm just wondering for the sake of keeping things brief if that would be okay.

Hey there! I have the same kind of issue in mentioning some disorders in my SOI - honestly I knew what you were talking about .... so I feel like they would too. My personal recommendation is keep it fully written out, but if you end up with word count issues, then make it the short form.

On 10/5/2021 at 7:23 AM, carlrogersfan98 said:

Thank you! I know it's grammatically correct to spell out all acronyms the first time, but it just seems so unlikely that people in psychology would not know what the WAIS and MMPI are.

Have you considered using superscripts and footers for this? What I might do in this case is use superscript numbers in the text. In your footer, list the superscript number and a note next to it (e.g., full name is ___ / refers to / whatever you chose to label it). Sometimes you’ll see this done in articles. CPA also uses this type of referencing in some of their articles. Superscript references are also acceptable in SSHRC proposals too, which can save you a lot of space.

3 hours ago, VanessaB said:

Have you considered using superscripts and footers for this? What I might do in this case is use superscript numbers in the text. In your footer, list the superscript number and a note next to it (e.g., full name is ___ / refers to / whatever you chose to label it). Sometimes you’ll see this done in articles. CPA also uses this type of referencing in some of their articles. Superscript references are also acceptable in SSHRC proposals too, which can save you a lot of space.

This is super handy!! Thanks so much, I did that for my SSHRC proposal the first time I applied too but I never considered it for my SOI as well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I am so eager to apply to a couple of counselling programs this year. I applied to Guelph's CFT program last year but was ultimately not admitted, however that was expected and I was more happy to get familiar with the admissions process to prepare myself better this year. I am applying to the following programs/universities:

1. University of Guelph CFT

2. UofT OISE Counselling and Psychotherapy

3. McMaster Psychotherapy (although this one is a bit iffy for me as they are still not recognized as an accredited program from CRPO)

3. UWO MA Counselling Psychology

Here are my stats:

education: bsc honours psychology and neuroscience with a minor in biology

final year gpa: ~3.80 (around an A-); gpa for final two years: ~3.72

work experience: 3500+ hours of work experience over the span of 4 years in counselling and community service roles

- currently working as a substance abuse counsellor for youth in conjunction with the court systems of Ontario. The role is within a widely recognized non profit organization in Ontario and currently using motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectical behaviour therapy, emotion-focused therapy and solution-focused brief therapy with clients (July 2021-present) - ~1600 hours by the time application is submitted

- previous experience working as a developmental therapist with autistic children in a school setting (April 2021 - July 2021) - 180 hours

- developmental personal support worker for special needs and dual diagnostic adults and seniors in a residential home setting with a non profit organization (May 2020 - September 2020) - 720 hours

- inclusion facilitator/counsellor for special needs and dual diagnostic children and teens in a community camp setting (May 2019 - September 2019) - 520 hours

- child and youth worker assistant for autistic children's day milieu program as well as a youth mental health walk in clinic (May 2018 - September 2018) - 520 hours

volunteer experience:

- crisis line support worker for sexual assault centre working with indigenous communities using intersectional feminism approach (April 2021 - present) - 192 hours (6 hours per week)

- counselling support at an addictions treatment private practice centre (May 2020 - present) - 408 hours (6 hours per week)

- executive member on uni club prior to graduating aiding in organizing keynote speaker events for raising awareness for autism and childhood cancer (2019/2020/2021)

If anyone has been accepted/previously applied to any of the programs mentioned above, or if they know someone who has been admitted to any of the mentioned programs, I would love to hear your feedback/thoughts on the strength of my application. I look forward to hearing some great news from you all in the upcoming months! Best of luck to everyone, and I hope you all are safe and healthy during these times! 

Thank you for all of your help in advance. Cheers!!

Would any of you mention any withdrawals/weak grades in the first semester of undergrad?

I have one W and a C- (both non-psych related) because I experienced the deaths of multiple close family members during my first semester of freshman year, but the rest of my academic history is pretty solid.

I was considering mentioning it briefly in my SOP, but wasn't sure whether I should or not because of word count restrictions and the rest of the transcript speaking for itself on my improvement. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  :) TIA

On 10/22/2021 at 11:24 AM, MHTherapy said:

Hi all! I am so eager to apply to a couple of counselling programs this year. I applied to Guelph's CFT program last year but was ultimately not admitted, however that was expected and I was more happy to get familiar with the admissions process to prepare myself better this year. I am applying to the following programs/universities:

3. McMaster Psychotherapy (although this one is a bit iffy for me as they are still not recognized as an accredited program from CRPO)

Here are my stats:

work experience: 3500+ hours of work experience over the span of 4 years in counselling and community service roles

- currently working as a substance abuse counsellor for youth in conjunction with the court systems of Ontario. The role is within a widely recognized non profit organization in Ontario and currently using motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectical behaviour therapy, emotion-focused therapy and solution-focused brief therapy with clients (July 2021-present) - ~1600 hours by the time application is submitted

- previous experience working as a developmental therapist with autistic children in a school setting (April 2021 - July 2021) - 180 hours

- developmental personal support worker for special needs and dual diagnostic adults and seniors in a residential home setting with a non profit organization (May 2020 - September 2020) - 720 hours

- inclusion facilitator/counsellor for special needs and dual diagnostic children and teens in a community camp setting (May 2019 - September 2019) - 520 hours

- child and youth worker assistant for autistic children's day milieu program as well as a youth mental health walk in clinic (May 2018 - September 2018) - 520 hours

volunteer experience:

- crisis line support worker for sexual assault centre working with indigenous communities using intersectional feminism approach (April 2021 - present) - 192 hours (6 hours per week)

- counselling support at an addictions treatment private practice centre (May 2020 - present) - 408 hours (6 hours per week)

- executive member on uni club prior to graduating aiding in organizing keynote speaker events for raising awareness for autism and childhood cancer (2019/2020/2021)

If anyone has been accepted/previously applied to any of the programs mentioned above, or if they know someone who has been admitted to any of the mentioned programs, I would love to hear your feedback/thoughts on the strength of my application. I look forward to hearing some great news from you all in the upcoming months! Best of luck to everyone, and I hope you all are safe and healthy during these times! 

I think just reading all those makes me think you're way ahead in terms of the counselling-related experience that most counselling schools are looking for. I think the bigger question is the quality of your research experience, you've mentioned that you were an honours student but there wasn't much in regard to what kind of research work you were involved in and if it resulted in research productivity (poster, pubs, presentation).

On 10/22/2021 at 1:24 PM, MHTherapy said:

Here are my stats:

volunteer experience:

Looks like you're a really strong candidate! Well done :)

If you're thinking of going on to a PhD in either clinical or counselling psych, I would recommend leaning towards the MA programs with a thesis. If not, then MEd is a great choice and saves the research burden. 

Has anyone looked at the McGill CV form yet? They have a separate one for Counselling , and it's my first time looking at a designated CV "form" to fill out and I'm struggling to write the "top 3 responsibilities and top 3 accomplishments relevant to application" bit.. any tips on how to condense this and not make it sound like a repetition of the SOP?! ?

On 11/1/2021 at 8:02 PM, psych899 said:

Hey everyone!

I am applying to 4 counselling psychology masters programs and was wondering if 4 is enough?? Should I be applying to more programs? Im extremely nervous that I wont get in to any schools

I'd personally add another couple schools(because I'm a Nervous Nelly), but you never know! If you've carefully selected schools that are a great research/faculty fit, and your qualifications are solid, then you might be just fine!

On 11/8/2021 at 6:33 AM, fafsaavoidant said:

I'd personally add another couple schools(because I'm a Nervous Nelly), but you never know! If you've carefully selected schools that are a great research/faculty fit, and your qualifications are solid, then you might be just fine!

Yeah, I've been on the fence about it. I just feel bad my referees have to write me even more references haha! And also that I'll have to write more statements of intents... How many are you applying to?

Hi Everyone! I'm planning to apply to the MC program at U of L. It's a blended format and allows you to work, so that's what works best for my family.

I'm working on the SOI and if it should be more of a run down of your experience and formal (the why, outcomes etc), or somewhat semi formal with all that, plus some personal (ie about my family) to keep it light? I'm a working professional, which over a decade of experience and my undergraduate grades were not the highest, but I figure with my experience and explanation of my interest in the program, they may consider and put less emphasis on my undergraduate grades?

Does anyone have any thought or advice with respect to the SOI?

Thank you!

35 minutes ago, Amaw said:

Hi Everyone! I'm planning to apply to the MC program at U of L. It's a blended format and allows you to work, so that's what works best for my family.

I'm working on the SOI and if it should be more of a run down of your experience and formal (the why, outcomes etc), or somewhat semi formal with all that, plus some personal (ie about my family) to keep it light? I'm a working professional, which over a decade of experience and my undergraduate grades were not the highest, but I figure with my experience and explanation of my interest in the program, they may consider and put less emphasis on my undergraduate grades?

Does anyone have any thought or advice with respect to the SOI?

Thank you!

Professional over personal is always the safest way to go. Unless your family circumstances are especially pertinent to why you want to study in their program, I wouldn't mention it at all. Maybe it could help be a good argument for why you want their MC program as opposed to the M.Ed (I applied to the latter, so I know how the MC is different!)

On 11/10/2021 at 4:34 PM, peachpits said:

Hi everyone, I'm planning on applying to the U of A MEd Counselling program (thesis option). Is there anyone else applying to/in the program? I'm wondering if NM is accepting students this year? 

Have you emailed them?

On 11/11/2021 at 11:45 AM, MHTherapy said:

Hi all,

does anyone know if referees have to submit their references by nov 15 for uoft or are they able to also submit them past nov 15? thanks!

I emailed UofT with this exact question and here was their response: "You will have ten additional days after November 15 to submit all supporting documents, including reference letters. Applications must be submitted and paid for by November 15 to guarantee consideration."

41 minutes ago, lmw1496 said:

I emailed UofT with this exact question and here was their response: "You will have ten additional days after November 15 to submit all supporting documents, including reference letters. Applications must be submitted and paid for by November 15 to guarantee consideration."

awesome, thanks so much for your reply!! good luck with submissions today, wishing you all the best!

Hi guys. To those applying to University of Alberta MEd counselling psychology (course-based), do you have to mention potential supervisors on the app even though it’s research based? 

Edited by Psy29

hey, does anyone know if guelph's cft program looks at applications on a rolling basis if they are completed before the deadline? i just finished uploading all the docs and my references are also all submitted so im wondering if my application will only be viewed after the deadline (dec 6) or before that? i know i wont hear back till early march regardless. this isnt a very important question but just for my own curiosity lol TIA! hope everyone's applications are going well!! :)

hey guys, 

is anyone able to view their application status through SGS for OISE uoft? I can see my application and all, but theres no specific section that shows whether your applicstion is under review or not. I thought it might show up after the 25th since they give you 10 extra days to upload any docs, but i just checked and still couldnt see anything. Please let me know if this is the same for you as well, or if it is something odd on my end.

Thanks!