Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

On 1/29/2022 at 1:29 AM, Jamie1 said:

Hi Everyone ?

I need an opinion: what do you all think about the importance of the ranking of the school for your master's in Counselling?

Do you think it makes a big difference in your career if you go to a lesser known school?

Thanks and good luck this year!

In Canada, ranking means very little as most counselling programs happen through public universities that are trustworthy and deliver quality education (generally speaking). Unlike the USA where there is a large variation in the quality of both private and public schools, almost all of Canada's graduate level training in psychology happens through these publicly funded universities which are well-respected. There are a few exceptions, like Adler and Yorkville, which are private/for-profit institutions. I can't speak to the quality of the education at such for-profit schools, but they do cost an incredible amount of money (with less available resources) and are generally not research focused, so they may not give you the necessary skills/credentials to pursue a PhD (i.e., if becoming a psychologist in any province other than Alberta is something that might interest you down the road or if you want to do research rather than practice). If you're ranking your options on a personal level, I think the focus should be more so about how the programs fits your needs and interests rather than how, for example, Macleans may have rated the school. We are fortunate in Canada not to have to deal with too many fraudulent type universities, otherwise known as "degree mills". There are many horror stories from the states where people's degree were not recognized in certain states or by certain employers.

4 hours ago, never stop dreaming said:

Hey everyone, for those who applied to McMaster Psychotherapy: Received an interview invite via email (personal email) today at 11:30am. I am a domestic applicant. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions! 

I also received one today and I'm happy to answer any q's

1 hour ago, Psycgradschool_2000 said:

Hi everyone,

i applied to McMaster and did not get an interview. Should assume that I didn’t get in? Also when do rejection letters typically come out.

Thank you 

Hi! Absolutely do NOT give up hope! This is only the first day of February and typically interview invites will span over the first couple of days in February. There is still a really good chance you might be invited! They don’t usually send out all of their invitations in one day. Hopefully you’ll hear back soon!! Wishing you the best :)

also, based on the 2021 and 2020 forums, it seems that McMaster typically sends out rejection letters in mid March. I would say, if you don’t hear back about an interview by mid February (like Feb 18th or so), you can safely assume that you weren’t selected this round. However there’s still tons of time left for that so definitely keep monitoring your email!

Edited by MHTherapy

I got an email today for interview with McMaster's MSC Psychotherapy as well. Looks like the invites for interviews are going on. I wondered how many they will interview and how many they will admit? They scheduled me for February 14 so let's see how it goes. I had applied to OSIE, Western, Guelph and Ottawa counselling programs as well.  Nothing from them so far. 

I took a shot at clinical developmental as well and applied to 7 schools, it looks like it's super competitive this year. I think my chances there are pretty slim. 

Edited by PsychMocha

5 hours ago, HopingFor2022 said:

Hey everyone! I saw that some other people on here had interviews for Calgary’s counselling program mid-January. I also had an interview and they said I’d hear back the next week but I still haven’t had any updates. Has anyone heard back about their admission decision? 

I was told that I would hear back mid-February at the earliest, but it may take till March if the faculty of grad studies takes longer to send the emails... do you mind PMing me who interviewed you?

2 hours ago, Psycgradschool_2000 said:

Hi everyone,

thanks for the words of encouragement! I received an email today from McMaster saying I wasn’t selected for an interview but have been put on a wait list. 

Hey,

I also received and email stating I was put on the waitlist for an interview. Do people that have been put on the waitlist for an interview usually receive an interview though?

2 minutes ago, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

Hey,

I also received and email stating I was put on the waitlist for an interview. Do people that have been put on the waitlist for an interview usually receive an interview though?

I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if it was just a general email sent to everyone who didn’t get an interview or if it’s an actual wait list. 

1 minute ago, Psycgradschool_2000 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if it was just a general email sent to everyone who didn’t get an interview or if it’s an actual wait list. 

Haha I'm looking through last years forum right now to see if I can find the answer. I'll let you know if I find anything :)

3 hours ago, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

Hey,

I know some people who haven’t gotten an email at all for mcmaster. not sure if they’re still rolling out interview invites or if the waitlist email was only sent to some

hi all! I also received an email yesterday around 9:30am stating I was not invited for an interview but I have been placed on the waitlist for mcmaster. Also wondering if anyone has heard back from Guelph? I know its only the third day of the month but their website states that they would reach out in early feb.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for providing so much info regarding program admissions.

I also received an interview waitlist email from McMaster on Tuesday morning. I have not heard back from Guelph for CFT but i am hoping that they will contact applicants soon.

Did anyone apply to Western for Counselling Psychology? If so do you know when we should be hearing back about interviews? It just says online that interviews are held in March.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, PsycTherapy said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for providing so much info regarding program admissions.

I also received an interview waitlist email from McMaster on Tuesday morning. I have not heard back from Guelph for CFT but i am hoping that they will contact applicants soon.

Did anyone apply to Western for Counselling Psychology? If so do you know when we should be hearing back about interviews? It just says online that interviews are held in March.

Hi! I applied to westerns counselling psych program too! I have no idea when we’ll hear back for interviews tbh especially since I haven’t really connected with anyone currently enrolled to ask them, but on the grad forum results page for uwo’s program one person reported getting an interview email invite on Feb 6 2020. However, I’d take this with a grain of salt not only because that was pre-pandemic but also they reported themselves as an international students. Other than that people seem to have done their interviews in early March but there’s not that many reported interview dates for 2021 they just reported dates they were accepted to the program which was mid-March! If I had to guess I think they’ll probably contact people soon just like Guelph because Guelph also sends acceptance emails in mid-March. I’ll let you know if/when I hear back! 

1 hour ago, MHTherapy said:

Hi! I applied to westerns counselling psych program too! I have no idea when we’ll hear back for interviews tbh especially since I haven’t really connected with anyone currently enrolled to ask them, but on the grad forum results page for uwo’s program one person reported getting an interview email invite on Feb 6 2020. However, I’d take this with a grain of salt not only because that was pre-pandemic but also they reported themselves as an international students. Other than that people seem to have done their interviews in early March but there’s not that many reported interview dates for 2021 they just reported dates they were accepted to the program which was mid-March! If I had to guess I think they’ll probably contact people soon just like Guelph because Guelph also sends acceptance emails in mid-March. I’ll let you know if/when I hear back! 

Thanks so much for the info! Happy to know I'm not the only one who isn't sure when we should be hearing back. I still haven't heard from Guelph (which is making me a little apprehensive) or Western but I will keep everyone posted if/when something comes up :)

1 hour ago, PsycTherapy said:

Thanks so much for the info! Happy to know I'm not the only one who isn't sure when we should be hearing back. I still haven't heard from Guelph (which is making me a little apprehensive) or Western but I will keep everyone posted if/when something comes up :)

I haven't heard anything from Guelph either and I'm also feeling so apprehensive about it. You're not alone!