Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

2 hours ago, MHTherapy said:

hey guys, 

is anyone able to view their application status through SGS for OISE uoft? I can see my application and all, but theres no specific section that shows whether your applicstion is under review or not. I thought it might show up after the 25th since they give you 10 extra days to upload any docs, but i just checked and still couldnt see anything. Please let me know if this is the same for you as well, or if it is something odd on my end.

Thanks!

Hey! Nope mine won't let me view my status on the OISE UofT page either right now (it just says "This status page will also be where you will receive your official decision from the faculty you have applied to within the School of Graduate Studies"). I think in the upcoming few weeks this might change though! :)

9 hours ago, MHTherapy said:

hey guys, 

is anyone able to view their application status through SGS for OISE uoft? I can see my application and all, but theres no specific section that shows whether your applicstion is under review or not. I thought it might show up after the 25th since they give you 10 extra days to upload any docs, but i just checked and still couldnt see anything. Please let me know if this is the same for you as well, or if it is something odd on my end.

Thanks!

Nope, same for me. I am paranoid and kind of wish I could quadruple-check if I uploaded everything, but oh well haha

On 11/26/2021 at 6:52 PM, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

Hey! Nope mine won't let me view my status on the OISE UofT page either right now (it just says "This status page will also be where you will receive your official decision from the faculty you have applied to within the School of Graduate Studies"). I think in the upcoming few weeks this might change though! :)

ugh thats so frustrating!! mine still hasnt updated, but hopefully thatll change soon! its weird because Mac uses the same type of system and their submission page shows the status right away, so i would think it would be the same for uoft. anyways, fingers crossed for us!!

On 11/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, carlrogersfan98 said:

Nope, same for me. I am paranoid and kind of wish I could quadruple-check if I uploaded everything, but oh well haha

omg same!!! i can see all the documents, like whats been submitted and received. its just weird to not be able to see the status yet..

anyone else finding it really tough to write a statement of only 500 words for western?? its stressing me out to leave out SO many details due to the word limit :( i wish it was at least 750 words - that seems reasonable if they want you to talk about research and work experience lol 

Hey everyone,

So UofA and UofC deadlines are today and one of my referees has not submitted my references yet... I'm getting a bit nervous LOL. I did send him an email giving him a reminder a week before and yesterday, but he has not replied to me... He did complete my other reference, which is why I had assumed he just read the emails but didn't reply. But since it's due today I'm not sure if I should call him as he gave me his phone number for the UofA application. I don't know :( what do I do ahhhhhh

1 hour ago, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

Hey everyone,

So UofA and UofC deadlines are today and one of my referees has not submitted my references yet... I'm getting a bit nervous LOL. I did send him an email giving him a reminder a week before and yesterday, but he has not replied to me... He did complete my other reference, which is why I had assumed he just read the emails but didn't reply. But since it's due today I'm not sure if I should call him as he gave me his phone number for the UofA application. I don't know :( what do I do ahhhhhh

Hey! 

So this happens a lot, since most referees are pretty busy and many submit just at the last second. 

I had the same thing happen, they asked for a one week reminder and after that I still got crickets. By some miracle they managed to submit it last night, but I spent the day thinking of strategies to nudge them to submit the letter but not annoy them. It's a delicate dance :) 

What I would do - maybe send a gentle email, or text, to ask if they got the link and are able to access it and see what they say. Even if they don't submit today, a lot of programs are more flexible when it comes to references and may accept them late. Worst case scenario - last year a friend of mine had his application reviewed (and was accepted) even with a missing letter of reference since that prof was totally unreasonable. So try not to let the panicky feelings get the best of you. I realize it's easier said than done. 

If the referee doesn't get back to you today, you can email grad admins and ask for options in this case, I'm sure there are others with this issue.

4 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Hey! 

So this happens a lot, since most referees are pretty busy and many submit just at the last second. 

I had the same thing happen, they asked for a one week reminder and after that I still got crickets. By some miracle they managed to submit it last night, but I spent the day thinking of strategies to nudge them to submit the letter but not annoy them. It's a delicate dance :) 

What I would do - maybe send a gentle email, or text, to ask if they got the link and are able to access it and see what they say. Even if they don't submit today, a lot of programs are more flexible when it comes to references and may accept them late. Worst case scenario - last year a friend of mine had his application reviewed (and was accepted) even with a missing letter of reference since that prof was totally unreasonable. So try not to let the panicky feelings get the best of you. I realize it's easier said than done. 

If the referee doesn't get back to you today, you can email grad admins and ask for options in this case, I'm sure there are others with this issue.

Hey! 

I did end up calling him and he said he would have it in by today (which I hope is true because my nerves are eating away at me). But, that's super reassuring I will definitely email grad admins if he's late :)

Thank youuuu

2 hours ago, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

When do offers usually roll out? Ive read that UofOttawa sends them out February/March, UofT is February to April (most people have received acceptances on march 4 in past years)

Depends on the school. February-March is usually a fair time to expect them (Feb if the interviews are in Jan, and March if the interviews are in Feb, but again this is just an estimate)

22 hours ago, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

When do offers usually roll out? Ive read that UofOttawa sends them out February/March, UofT is February to April (most people have received acceptances on march 4 in past years)

Roughly end of February to end of April!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Interview invites for Lethbridge have been sent!

Congratulations on snagging an interview!!

I applied there and have not received anything. Oh no!

You applied to the MEd right? I applied to the MC, so maybe I will hold out hope?

11 minutes ago, Amaw said:

You applied to the MEd right? I applied to the MC, so maybe I will hold out hope?

Yes, I applied to the MEd! I have no idea if they do interview invites at the same time, or if the MC even interviews? I would still hold out hope!

41 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Yes, I applied to the MEd! I have no idea if they do interview invites at the same time, or if the MC even interviews? I would still hold out hope!

Thanks @carlrogersfan98!

Yes, the MC does interview...

Did your status change on your online application portal? Did they send you an email? Just wondering how they informed you...

Thanks and best of luck!

39 minutes ago, Amaw said:

Thanks @carlrogersfan98!

Yes, the MC does interview...

Did your status change on your online application portal? Did they send you an email? Just wondering how they informed you...

Thanks and best of luck!

I got an email! Nothing in the portal looks too different :)

Also - McGill's Project-Based MA is undergoing the first review, I was contacted about an issue with my transcript which has since been resolved and I was informed that they are completing the initial reviews of applications - wondering if this means we will start to hear about interviews in January?

On 12/20/2021 at 1:40 PM, Amaw said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you haven’t heard about an interview invite from them by now, you most likely didn’t rank high enough to secure an interview. I was in that position when I applied to the MC at ULeth in 2014/2015. Decisions were released in February. I also have a friend who got an interview for this program in a different admissions cycle, got waitlisted, and made it all the way to the top of the waiting list but ultimately never got in. One of my other friends went through the entire MEd program a few years ago, so some people do get in. The MC is usually more competitive than the MEd because it’s online. The MEd usually receives around 100 applications whereas the MC usually gets around 120+. Following the interviews, they accept roughly half of those people. For my specific situation, when I asked about why I wasn’t invited in 2015, they said they were looking for more of a psych background (my first two undergrad degrees were not in psych although I had some psych classes, and although I was a certified teacher with lots of teaching experience at the time, they wanted more direct psych experience). I’m not sure what your personal situation is, but if you’re set on this school then I’d maybe focus on ensuring you have depth and breadth in your psych classes and you have direct experience related to counselling psych. If you already have those things then I’d maybe look into asking them in a few months about how to strengthen your application.