MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

15 hours ago, natt97 said:

After thinking I didn't get in Carleton accepted me today into the 1 year advance with a 12,000 scholarship! I am so happy but also I live in Vancouver and really want to stay here and go to UBC. Does anyone know if Waterloo(online) or UBC offers scholarship money normally as well?

Congrats on your acceptance and scholarship! Carleton is definitely very generous with their funding. When I did my B.A. there, the graduate department offered me a $27,000 scholarship and I hadn't even applied a program!

I just got an email today that I have been accepted into UBC 1 year advanced standing. The email didn't say anything about funding but I haven't been able to check the official acceptance letter in the online portal yet. They may have some external scholarships as I know U of C doesn't offer funding with their acceptance but there are quite a few scholarships that are specific to social work students that you can apply to directly or that the program can recommend you for, as well as some internal scholarships once the program starts.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:30 AM, MSW-Advanced Standing said:

Anyone here applied to UBC advanced standing ?? 

Hey there, I applied to UBC advanced standing and was just about to post that the website says decisions can be expected in April when I randomly checked my email and got an acceptance letter! Now accepted to U of C and UBC and waiting to hear from Laurier which is tricky because U of C starts in May so I can't line them all up and decide.

38 minutes ago, MSW2022MM said:

Hey there, I applied to UBC advanced standing and was just about to post that the website says decisions can be expected in April when I randomly checked my email and got an acceptance letter! Now accepted to U of C and UBC and waiting to hear from Laurier which is tricky because U of C starts in May so I can't line them all up and decide.

UBC Vancouver? Or UBCO?

Congratulations!!!

Just now, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone has received an update from UofT 2 year program? My status still says submitted... 

I was an applicant last year (waitlisted) and it wasn't until April 9 that people heard :( I don't even remember my status updating until like the end of March.. it is rough. Hang in there! I am with you. 

21 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

Hey- I just got accepted I think it's like 15k? for the whole 2 years.. they also offer funding to all students! 

Tuition is about 4k per term and each year is 3 terms so it would be about 12k for 1 year or 24k for 2

9 hours ago, SocialWork123 said:

Ou this is less than what I calculated when I used (or tried to...) the tuition calculator! @Siikun, is there any chance you remember what the advanced program came to tuition cost wise? :)

Due to scholarships and how they apply it is hard to fully understand how much tuition is - I also have not yet registered for the summer so I'm unsure of that cost. However the post below looked pretty accurate, between 11-12

Hello!

For any adv standing Carleton students looking to connect, I made a facebook page and a discord server just in case some people don't use facebook anymore. But if any CU students want to join (1 or 2 year) feel free, considering we'll all be at the same school :)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5211173705567527/?ref=share 

Discord: https://discord.gg/ujPK9t96 

1 hour ago, MSW2022MM said:

Congratulations ! so happy for you! i hope to hear from them soon, so great to have 2 offers in hand so you are the boss to make the decision!

would you mind sharing your education and background so for those applied to these uni ,we can guess our chances hahaaha

3 hours ago, MSW-Advanced Standing said:

Congratulations ! so happy for you! i hope to hear from them soon, so great to have 2 offers in hand so you are the boss to make the decision!

would you mind sharing your education and background so for those applied to these uni ,we can guess our chances hahaaha

Thanks very much! My name (first and last) starts with an M – not sure if that matters at all.

I’m happy to share my background but I would say I don’t know if it’s as easy as comparing grades, work experience, etc. From what people have shared on this forum, it seems there are so many diverse backgrounds (which I think is a real strength of social work) and different schools also prioritize different parts of the application so never count yourself out just because your grades aren’t as high or you don’t have as many work experience hours as someone else. You are unique and have a lot to bring from your own experiences!

I have a BSW (from UVic) as well as B.A. in Human Rights (from Carleton), a certificate in Criminology, and a certificate in ASL and Deaf Studies. I get super confused trying to translate GPAs from different schools but my average across all programs was A+. I have 6 years post-BSW full-time experience in as a community outreach social worker in the mental health and addictions field and I am also the program coordinator for the program. My total work experience hours for “relevant work” (I was really broad in defining this and basically made almost all my work, pre and post-BSW) tie into social work) was 13,500 hours at the time of application. My volunteer experience (including practicums) was 1,600 hours. For volunteer experience I included all the social justice activism work I have done and was again very broad.

I hope that helps and I hope you hear soon! My fingers are crossed for you!

1 hour ago, MSW2022MM said:

Thanks very much! My name (first and last) starts with an M – not sure if that matters at all.

I’m happy to share my background but I would say I don’t know if it’s as easy as comparing grades, work experience, etc. From what people have shared on this forum, it seems there are so many diverse backgrounds (which I think is a real strength of social work) and different schools also prioritize different parts of the application so never count yourself out just because your grades aren’t as high or you don’t have as many work experience hours as someone else. You are unique and have a lot to bring from your own experiences!

I have a BSW (from UVic) as well as B.A. in Human Rights (from Carleton), a certificate in Criminology, and a certificate in ASL and Deaf Studies. I get super confused trying to translate GPAs from different schools but my average across all programs was A+. I have 6 years post-BSW full-time experience in as a community outreach social worker in the mental health and addictions field and I am also the program coordinator for the program. My total work experience hours for “relevant work” (I was really broad in defining this and basically made almost all my work, pre and post-BSW) tie into social work) was 13,500 hours at the time of application. My volunteer experience (including practicums) was 1,600 hours. For volunteer experience I included all the social justice activism work I have done and was again very broad.

I hope that helps and I hope you hear soon! My fingers are crossed for you!

Congratulations!

I am still waiting for the result of the UBC application and it is still "in progress". So the waiting game continues...

Hey everyone! I've been keeping tabs on this thread, and thought I'd see if anyone has had the same experience as me. I got an automated email at the beginning of February from the UofT SGS, saying they received my transcript (I applied to the 2 year program). Nothing else changed in my portal, except the date received for my transcript is Feb.8th, instead of the December date when I originally uploaded my pdf transcript. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm currently a UofT undergrad student, so I'm thinking they accessed my most recent transcripts internally. I haven't seen anyone else bring this up, so I thought I'd ask! :) 

16 hours ago, sweetpotatorollgirl said:

Oh my, I really feel for you! That’s a terribly long wait with no answer yet. I received a very quick reply via email from the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) at Dal, maybe you could try them? I’m also living in Halifax, so I received their postal letter pretty quickly too. I’m unsure about the delivery company, but likely Canada post I’m thinking? 

I just posted this haha, but the FGS said everyone should receive a letter via email by March 8th with their admission decisions. 

Best of luck!!! 

Ohhh I see. Thanks a lot for your information. I'm going to ask FGS then! 

16 hours ago, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone has received an update from UofT 2 year program? My status still says submitted... 

I'm on the same boat! ?