MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

4 minutes ago, Deena000 said:

Ok thank you! I logged in for the first time today and it said invited so I wanted to make sure it wasn’t just always there :) 

no worries:) we get 2-3 weeks to make the deposit (I think the due date is somewhere near the bottom), so the update is pretty recent!

50 minutes ago, machamacha said:

I just checked my account and it says  deny….. 

Yeah its all fucking bullshit. I dont know what more they want from us. You have to solve fucking homelessness to get into an msw nowadays. working in a hospital through the pandemic apparently isnt enough, holding peoples hand while they die because their families arent allowed in during covid - isnt enough. This years sw college theme for social work was that "social work is in critial demand" well appartently it isnt because they only accept half a dozen fools every semester. 

6 minutes ago, machamacha said:

Yeah its all fucking bullshit. I dont know what more they want from us. You have to solve fucking homelessness to get into an msw nowadays. working in a hospital through the pandemic apparently isnt enough, holding peoples hand while they die because their families arent allowed in during covid - isnt enough. This years sw college theme for social work was that "social work is in critial demand" well appartently it isnt because they only accept half a dozen fools every semester. 

Did you apply anywhere else? Based on previous forums and from people I know, online programs can be more competitive bc they are more convenient and there's somehow less of them.

5 minutes ago, machamacha said:

I feel your frustration. I really do. It’s so unfair, all the years of effort we’ve put in just to get denied without an adequate explanation or any feedback. I definitely feel that every school needs to accept more students because of the amount of people applying. Most schools get 500+ applicants a year (competing internationally and domestically) and only accept 40-50 students. Its just unfair. You're incredible and don’t let this make you feel otherwise. Our time will come ❤️

For anyone that is weary about the 'invited' or the $500 from U of T acceptance. I received my official offer letter just now! I did pay the $500 deposit already so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I wanted to give you all a heads up! 

Update for my Advanced MSW applications (March 4th)

- Carleton - accepted with $12,000 scholarship offered

- UBC - accepted but with no scholarship money, I did email them and they said that since I had one of the higher GPA's so I may be able to apply and get between $1000 - $3000. Also the program as a domestic student is only $6000 total for the year which seems to be one of the more affordable ones?

- Waterloo - just checked and got waitlisted.

- Also applied to Western but haven't heard back, if I do get accepted will turn down as this was my last choice and doesn't seem to be funding help/

I think I am going to go with UBC as I already live in Vancouver and want to continue living here so I think it makes more sense but also hard to turn down the scholarship money so I am still torn. 

Good luck everyone!

6 minutes ago, SWKMSW11 said:

I feel your frustration. I really do. It’s so unfair, all the years of effort we’ve put in just to get denied without an adequate explanation or any feedback. I definitely feel that every school needs to accept more students because of the amount of people applying. Most schools get 500+ applicants a year (competing internationally and domestically) and only accept 40-50 students. Its just unfair. You're incredible and don’t let this make you feel otherwise. Our time will come ❤️

Thank you for your kind words, they are a lot more eloquent than mine. I have applied elsewhere and have little hope but you are right we need to keep our heads up. 

29 minutes ago, machamacha said:

I'm so sorry, I know its such an anxiety-inducing time but this isn't a reflection of your or your efforts but I know its hard not to feel that way. Try not to beat yourself up too much and keep hope for any other schools you have applied for!

12 minutes ago, ouchieoof said:

How are folks deciding what school they'll be attending if they've received multiple offers OR if they want to attend an MSW at all after?

personally, whoever gives me the most money is how I'm deciding haha 

Does anyone know if further action needs to be taken for being waitlisted at Waterloo? U of T asks us fill in a form, but I have not received anything from Waterloo yet regarding next steps after being waitlisted. 

1 hour ago, ouchieoof said:

How are folks deciding what school they'll be attending if they've received multiple offers OR if they want to attend an MSW at all after?

I was pretty much decided when I applied but tbh it would be difficult to turn down a decent scholarship if my other choice offers one

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances! :) I received a waitlist email from Uwindsor advanced standing over a month ago... still haven't heard back from Laurier. The wait is driving me crazy. It is making me feel super discouraged :( Hopefully they will say something within the next week. Anyone have any idea when Laurier's advanced standing results will come out?

2 minutes ago, mswwaiting said:

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances! :) I received a waitlist email from Uwindsor advanced standing over a month ago... still haven't heard back from Laurier. The wait is driving me crazy. It is making me feel super discouraged :( Hopefully they will say something within the next week. Anyone have any idea when Laurier's advanced standing results will come out?

Apparently its around april may? but thats just what ive heard!

2 hours ago, machamacha said:

I definitely feel you on this. I'm a correctional social worker and have been in the social services field for 10 years. I have a 4.0 GPA, and thousands of hours of volunteer work. I hold a BA in Psych, an HBSW, and a Certificate in Criminal Justice and Criminology. 

I've applied to MSW programs for the past 5 years, and still have not been accepted. I struggle financially and live in low-income, so I can only apply to 3 schools each year since application fees and transcript fees are so high.

I'm really unsure if any other fields are like this, where 500+ people apply each year and only 30-40 get accepted. It almost makes it impossible to get in. I'm passionate about macro social work and policy and I will continue to apply to school to further my education until I get in, even if I have to keep applying for the next 15 years.

I'm trying hard not to give up. 

22 minutes ago, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

Help:
Where on the U of T Acorn website does it update to say accepted/denied/waitlisted!? 

it will be the first thing you see when you log in! you will see "invited" and the program, as well as a $500 outstanding deposit