MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

1 hour ago, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Gonna jump in here as well. I applied pretty early around end of October. I received the "your application is under review" email on Feb 5th. Haven't heard anything back since. 

Did you apply for the advanced or foundational program? Seems really strange to release decisions on a "rolling basis" rather than just send out all acceptances/rejections! Let us know when you hear anything! 

Edited by jam22

1 hour ago, jam22 said:

Did you apply for the advanced or foundational program? Seems really strange to release decisions on a "rolling basis" rather than just send out all acceptances/rejections! Let us know when you hear anything! 

I applied to the foundational program. And I agree, that is strange. I don't actually know if they do it that way. If it is, I feel like I would have heard by now since they were supposed to start sending them out mid-Feb. But it also seems like a general trend that advanced hear like a month before foundational... which is kind of annoying lol

4 minutes ago, MSWapplicant1998 said:

I applied to the foundational program. And I agree, that is strange. I don't actually know if they do it that way. If it is, I feel like I would have heard by now since they were supposed to start sending them out mid-Feb. But it also seems like a general trend that advanced hear like a month before foundational... which is kind of annoying lol

From previous years, it seems UBCO lets advanced standing people know first. Perhaps when they view an application is determined first by which stream it's for and then when it was submitted. However, I also heard they don't release their waitlist, the merely send out acceptances in batches. All I know at this point is that I'm desperate to hear from them lol. 

4 hours ago, jam22 said:

UBC-O is on a rolling basis, so it seems like it depends on when you applied. They started releasing decisions in mid feb and will go until April some time. When did you apply? 

I submitted all supporting documents (including references) first week of Dec, and received ‘under review’ email 8th Feb! 

28 minutes ago, Amomilk said:

I submitted all supporting documents (including references) first week of Dec, and received ‘under review’ email 8th Feb! 

same- I submitted Dec 15 including references and received my under review email Jan 18th.. been silent since then. 

Hello, does anyone know if you accept an offer from one shcool if it ruins your chances of being accepted to another?

I was recently accepted to UWindsor for the advance standing MSW working professionals program and have 3 weeks with no extenstion to accept this offer. However, I am waiting to hear from a few more shcools to see if I was accepted or not. I do not want to miss out on my chance at getting my MSW but if I accept Windsor, will that affect my chance at other schools?

Any info would be apprecaited. Thanks all.

Edited by MSWkeen

1 hour ago, MSWkeen said:

Hello, does anyone know if you accept an offer from one shcool if it ruins your chances of being accepted to another?

I was recently accepted to UWindsor for the advance standing MSW working professionals program and have 3 weeks with no extenstion to accept this offer. However, I am waiting to hear from a few more shcools to see if I was accepted or not. I do not want to miss out on my chance at getting my MSW but if I accept Windsor, will that affect my chance at other schools?

Any info would be apprecaited. Thanks all.

lots of folks do this, there is often no choice. MSW's are very competitive, to answer your question it will not affect your chances at other schools bc there is no way of other schools knowing where you've applied to/accepted and at the same time many other schools know and expect that this will happen. This is why the waitlist exists for schools :) student's give up their spots if they hear from somewhere else or if they just can't go-don't stress I am in the same position. 

3 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

same- I submitted Dec 15 including references and received my under review email Jan 18th.. been silent since then. 

I'm about the same! Jan 18th as well. It makes me nervous to not have heard anything still. Did you check the thesis interest box? I wasn't expecting that on the initial application and I've been wondering if that has any impact. 

7 hours ago, mswapplicantt said:

Does anyone know when western/kings is sending out offers?

According to their applicant guide, it is supposed to be early March 

27 minutes ago, Gradschoolattempt2 said:

I'm about the same! Jan 18th as well. It makes me nervous to not have heard anything still. Did you check the thesis interest box? I wasn't expecting that on the initial application and I've been wondering if that has any impact. 

I did not! Maybe they won’t release anything until the end of the month?

57 minutes ago, Gradschoolattempt2 said:

I hope so! Well, if we are hoping, I am actually hoping for this week lol.

I’m hoping too! I applied for the non-bsw program on January 5th and got an email January 24th saying that my application was under review, but I also haven’t heard anything back since then. My fingers are crossed that we hear back this week as well, I’m glad I’m not alone I’m feeling this stress!

6 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

I’m hoping too! I applied for the non-bsw program on January 5th and got an email January 24th saying that my application was under review, but I also haven’t heard anything back since then. My fingers are crossed that we hear back this week as well, I’m glad I’m not alone I’m feeling this stress!

You are definitely not alone! I check obsessively now. It hard waiting for your life to either change completely or stay mostly the same all the while being completely out of control of what happens at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Gradschoolattempt2 said:

You are definitely not alone! I check obsessively now. It hard waiting for your life to either change completely or stay mostly the same all the while being completely out of control of what happens at this point. 

I completely agree! It’s so hard, I want to know if I’m moving across the country, or doing a 2 year BSW, or looking for a new job…it’s hard mentally to be in such a limbo for what feels like forever!

ugh.. the wait for UofT 2 year sucks, last year early march on the exact same day as this year is when they released advance standing, then there seems to be a large gap for anyone to hear about the 2 year.. I hope it is the end of March rather than waiting another month.. like many other folks I am trying to figure out what to do with my life and these decisions are impacting that more than i'd imagine.. looking for places in Ottawa while realizing I don't actually want to move there as I live in Toronto currently and have a great job with TGH and another part time job at a cafe.. but knowing I could just be waiting to hear about waitlist spot like last time seems really difficult.. could be waiting until August or september all over again.. makes things so hard! 

Edited by teaandSW21

15 minutes ago, teaandSW21 said:

ugh.. the wait for UofT 2 year sucks, last year early march on the exact same day as this year is when they released advance standing, then there seems to be a large gap for anyone to hear about the 2 year.. I hope it is the end of March rather than waiting another month.. like many other folks I am trying to figure out what to do with my life and these decisions are impacting that more than i'd imagine.. looking for places in Ottawa while realizing I don't actually want to move there as I live in Toronto currently and have a great job with TGH and another part time job at a cafe.. but knowing I could just be waiting to hear about waitlist spot like last time seems really difficult.. could be waiting until August or september all over again.. makes things so hard! 

i absolutely could not agree more. So frustrating being in this waiting game 

54 minutes ago, teaandSW21 said:

I have started waking up late nights and that being said my mental sanity is messed up. I wish i didn’t have to get involved in this race. But, it is what it is. So frustrating! 

1 hour ago, teaandSW21 said:

I think I've come to realize that it's not necessarily the wait or delay that is the problem for me but it's the lack of transparency around when you can expect to hear results. E.g., if an application deadline is December and the school sends a mass email after the deadline saying "you can expect to hear results by the 1st week of April", even though that's a really long wait, at least knowing I won't hear anything until April would help ease my stress because I wouldn't have to check a portal everyday or ask people whether they've heard from a school yet. It's also so much better for administrators because they would get way less emails and calls from applicants asking for a status update! 

Here's to hoping future program departments can move towards being open about timelines to applicants. 

Edited by T.O.hopeful

Hi everyone, 

I have created a Facebook group for those who will be attending St. Thomas University’s MSW program September 2022. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/517777036648217/?ref=invite_via_link&invite_short_link_key=g%2F2n1RU0uEt%2F7rChdZUK&refsrc=deprecated&_rdr

please send this to anyone you know attending ?

22 hours ago, Deena000 said:

Would anyone accepted to UofT advanced standing want to make a group?? :) 

I would love to join the group too! 

Like many of you, I'm constantly watching gradcafe and refreshing application portals, but I'm gonna take a few week breather by not checking gradcafe or the portals - when the decision email comes, it comes. Best of luck to you all during this waiting game :)