MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

4 hours ago, mswto21 said:

Missed a call from York’s SW office. No message left and when I called back, they didn’t know who called. 

Anyone else get a call today?

Hi! Yes, last year I was admitted on conditional BSW at waterloo for this coming September so i’m already in the program. But I applied to MSW programs this year so just waiting :) 

Just now, SophD said:

I know, the wait is awful! Hopefully mid-April is the absolute latest and we'll hear back sooner! 

Ugh it sucks so much.. they really stand by this too, last year I heard April 9. I’m hanging in hoping it won’t be a month away bc it’s ridiculous 

Dilemma Time.

My backup program (A Social Service Diploma) at a college has fees due in a couple days for their start in the summer but I am really want to get into to U of T's 2-Year program. However if we are not going to hear back until at least a month from U of T, I really have no idea what to do.

3 minutes ago, BingBongBingBong said:

Dilemma Time.

My backup program (A Social Service Diploma) at a college has fees due in a couple days for their start in the summer but I am really want to get into to U of T's 2-Year program. However if we are not going to hear back until at least a month from U of T, I really have no idea what to do.

If you don't get in to UofT, will you definitely do the social service diploma?

If your answer is yes, bite the bullet and pay the minimum fees! Only way to put your best foot forward... best case you lost some $$$ but are going to UofT, worst case you don't get UofT but have a backup!

Edited by never stop dreaming

1 hour ago, never stop dreaming said:

If you don't get in to UofT, will you definitely do the social service diploma?

If your answer is yes, bite the bullet and pay the minimum fees! Only way to put your best foot forward... best case you lost some $$$ but are going to UofT, worst case you don't get UofT but have a backup!

What about if someone wants to get in a BSW program for 2 years (post degree). Will that be a good decision too according to u? 

26 minutes ago, Nus219 said:

What about if someone wants to get in a BSW program for 2 years (post degree). Will that be a good decision too according to u? 

My honest view on it is do what’s best to get to your goal. Whether you have to spend a little more on the app/fees while you wait for the reply from another school, the only ‘safe’ way is to ensure that you are good no matter what happens. If you have a plan and a backup plan, you are putting your best foot forward. Money wise, it obviously sucks… BUT there’s nothing you can do about that part. If it is a money concern I would put it in this perspective: you have a goal, 10 years from now when you are where you want to be (career/goal wise), will you look back and regret having ensured your success in achieving that goal?

Let’s say you had to spend $500, if you get declined and had to use the backup, and got in the next time you applied, was it worth it?

At the end of the day, if you know deep down you did EVERYTHING in your power to achieve your goal, then that is what matters. It totally blows having to spend money on a fee when you don’t even know if you will need it since you are waiting to hear, but can you justify spending that money to put your best foot forward? Consider how much time you have spent in school, the effort you have put into getting good grades, and the passion you have for this field. You know this is what you want. If you do spend the money but then get accepted to your program of choice… well… that is extremely frustrating… but… what if you don’t get in and didn’t spend that money on the other program? Then what.. 

Overall, applications and the waiting game is so tough. You are not alone in weighing the pros and cons of backup plans, and i’m sure that everyone here can attest to that!

36 minutes ago, never stop dreaming said:

My honest view on it is do what’s best to get to your goal. Whether you have to spend a little more on the app/fees while you wait for the reply from another school, the only ‘safe’ way is to ensure that you are good no matter what happens. If you have a plan and a backup plan, you are putting your best foot forward. Money wise, it obviously sucks… BUT there’s nothing you can do about that part. If it is a money concern I would put it in this perspective: you have a goal, 10 years from now when you are where you want to be (career/goal wise), will you look back and regret having ensured your success in achieving that goal?

Let’s say you had to spend $500, if you get declined and had to use the backup, and got in the next time you applied, was it worth it?

At the end of the day, if you know deep down you did EVERYTHING in your power to achieve your goal, then that is what matters. It totally blows having to spend money on a fee when you don’t even know if you will need it since you are waiting to hear, but can you justify spending that money to put your best foot forward? Consider how much time you have spent in school, the effort you have put into getting good grades, and the passion you have for this field. You know this is what you want. If you do spend the money but then get accepted to your program of choice… well… that is extremely frustrating… but… what if you don’t get in and didn’t spend that money on the other program? Then what.. 

Overall, applications and the waiting game is so tough. You are not alone in weighing the pros and cons of backup plans, and i’m sure that everyone here can attest to that!

Hey, thank you so much for your well explained comment. I really appreciate that :)

2 hours ago, hello121212 said:

There have been a lot of posts, but just wondering if anyone heard back from York Uni Advanced standing yet?

I am waiting too!

Hello everyone! I've been accepted to Waterloo!

Stats again for anyone curious:

• ~11,000 hours of paid/volunteer social work experience
  • 4.0 GPA in my BSW, also hold a Bachelor of Arts, Criminology
  • 87% over last twenty courses 

I will be declining as I've already accepted a May start for Laurier.

I recieved an acceptance to Waterloo, does anyone know how to view the letter? I can see the conditions and where to accept/ decline but that's it

Edit: I googled it and I dont have the option on Quest, it says it should be available within 24-48 hrs of a decision being made. Can anyone confirm that they did recieve a letter?

Edited by Geralt

27 minutes ago, Geralt said:

I recieved an acceptance to Waterloo, does anyone know how to view the letter? I can see the conditions and where to accept/ decline but that's it

Edit: I googled it and I dont have the option on Quest, it says it should be available within 24-48 hrs of a decision being made. Can anyone confirm that they did recieve a letter?

Congratulations! I received my acceptance on Quest yesterday morning and then when I checked again last night saw the option to view the letter. 

On 3/9/2022 at 2:07 PM, HBSW2021 said:

I got accepted to Waterloo as well! Will you be accepting? 

I'm curious who will accept as well, excited to see who our peers will be! I'm waiting on Laurier but pretty sure I'll be accepting Waterloo. How about you?

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

I had the same thing happen. Does anyone know if Waterloo offers funding??

1 hour ago, MyaDar said:

I'm curious who will accept as well, excited to see who our peers will be! I'm waiting on Laurier but pretty sure I'll be accepting Waterloo. How about you?

I have accepted my offer at UW! If someone were to create a Facebook or Discord group I would be happy to join! 

3 hours ago, Mikaa said:

Hi guys, I just received a call from York, and I got in! I received offers from Ryerson and York so far and I’m currently on the waitlist for UofT. York offers an amazing scholarship so I’m so excited!! 

That’s awesome! Congratulations! Do you know which one you want to go to? I went to york for my BSW and really enjoyed the program!