MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 3/18/2022 at 3:03 PM, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Hey! I'm in my first year at UofT. My tuition (including all fees) was $11,189.99. Incidental fees were slightly higher this year than last - the actual program fee was the exact same as the one you found for 2020/21 (9,420). If you're applying to the two year program you have the option to take courses in the summer following your first year at no additional cost if you want. I'm not exactly sure if what you mean by first two semesters is fall/winter? Fees for next year wouldn't be out yet.

Thank you for your response! What I meant by 'first two' semesters was, fall and winter so I assumed the summer semester wasn't calculated in that 11k total but I guess I was wrong (thankfully haha)- thank you again!! :)

6 hours ago, mrshappygolucky said:

Can anyone relate? I have a non-BSW degree and feel frustrated that Laurier is the only Canadian university that offers a fully online Foundational MSW. The university closest to me, UBC-Vancouver, only offers an Advanced MSW. I can't uproot my family and leave my job to move out of Vancouver to pursue a Foundational MSW in another province. UBC-Vancouver no longer offers a Foundational MSW which is really perplexing as every major Canadian university seems to have a Foundational program. UFV has a Foundational MSW but it's offered every odd year (this also perplexes me) and 80km away from where I live. Work, my kids' school, and elderly parents are all in Vancouver and depend on me, and I can't commute 160km daily to UFV while trying to care for my family. I'm now looking at accredited US online Foundational MSW programs if I don't get into Laurier but it's double the cost of a Canadian MSW. Thanks for hearing me out!

Off the top of my head, there's Laurier, Windsor, and Dal that have 2 year online MSWs in Canada and then there's also post degree bsw options as well.

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

Off the top of my head, there's Laurier, Windsor, and Dal that have 2 year online MSWs in Canada and then there's also post degree bsw options as well.

Unfortunately Windsor’s field placement has to be in-province (I’m in BC) and Dal’s Foundational MSW is strictly on campus.

34 minutes ago, mrshappygolucky said:

Unfortunately Windsor’s field placement has to be in-province (I’m in BC) and Dal’s Foundational MSW is strictly on campus.

Oh I didn't know that about Dal. I do know that windsor only does in province placements but that could be an option or people willing to live away from home for the 12 weeks or those who can do their hours where they already work.

I agree that it really is silly that there arent better options for people who have to work, unnecessary barrier to higher education - just another way to gatekeep it seems

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but I was wondering if anyone knows how many spots there are in the 2-year non-bsw programs at Windsor and Laurier? I was accepted last week to Windsor's program and am trying to get an understanding of class sizes. I was also accepted to Carleton's 2-year program in late February and I know they have 25 spots, UofT has 140 spots, and York has 20 spots, so I was just curious if anyone knows how Windsor and Laurier compares because I can't find anything on their websites.

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone! :)

2 hours ago, coffeegirl1999 said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but I was wondering if anyone knows how many spots there are in the 2-year non-bsw programs at Windsor and Laurier? I was accepted last week to Windsor's program and am trying to get an understanding of class sizes. I was also accepted to Carleton's 2-year program in late February and I know they have 25 spots, UofT has 140 spots, and York has 20 spots, so I was just curious if anyone knows how Windsor and Laurier compares because I can't find anything on their websites.

Hey! I had a friend in the program and she said theres only ~30 in Windsor's foundational program. 

3 hours ago, coffeegirl1999 said:

Laurier’s online program has approx 25-30 from what I remember

20 hours ago, mrshappygolucky said:

Can anyone relate? I have a non-BSW degree and feel frustrated that Laurier is the only Canadian university that offers a fully online Foundational MSW. The university closest to me, UBC-Vancouver, only offers an Advanced MSW. I can't uproot my family and leave my job to move out of Vancouver to pursue a Foundational MSW in another province. UBC-Vancouver no longer offers a Foundational MSW which is really perplexing as every major Canadian university seems to have a Foundational program. UFV has a Foundational MSW but it's offered every odd year (this also perplexes me) and 80km away from where I live. Work, my kids' school, and elderly parents are all in Vancouver and depend on me, and I can't commute 160km daily to UFV while trying to care for my family. I'm now looking at accredited US online Foundational MSW programs if I don't get into Laurier but it's double the cost of a Canadian MSW. Thanks for hearing me out!

I have a coworker/friend in this position so she decided on a 2-year BSW option, after which there will be more options for MSW advance standing! She’s doing the program through Manitoba.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:33 PM, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

For U of T this is early for their two year program. 
Here are the dates acceptances were sent out in previous years: 
2021 - April 8th
2020 - March 30th
2019 - March 25th
2018 - March 27th

There's no need to panic yet! 

Fingers crossed this year it dips back a bit and we find out this week. The waiting continues. 

Congrats to those who received offers and good luck to applicants who are still waiting for updates!

I am wondering does anyone know the MSW graduates employment rates among different universities? For example, U of T is the highest-ranked Canadian University from an academic standpoint . When it comes to career prospects, are graduates prepared for entering the job market?  seems that it could be hard for fresh graduates to find their first job as employers usually prefer those having maybe 3 years of working experiences.

3 hours ago, lwcmsw said:

Congrats to those who received offers and good luck to applicants who are still waiting for updates!

I am wondering does anyone know the MSW graduates employment rates among different universities? For example, U of T is the highest-ranked Canadian University from an academic standpoint . When it comes to career prospects, are graduates prepared for entering the job market?  seems that it could be hard for fresh graduates to find their first job as employers usually prefer those having maybe 3 years of working experiences.

I’m thinking clinical programs might be somewhat more helpful to obtaining competitive employment, especially positions where clinical skills are required. Overall, I don’t think it matters so much what MSW program one attends, more so on the applicant and the employment goals. Some of us will complete our MSW with years experience already in the field. But students going directly from their undergrad to MSW should be able to accumulate some experience through volunteer work and summer employment. I know plenty of people who started working front-line or in research before they even graduated. 

Just heard back from Windsor's 2 year MSW - I'm on the waitlist. So incredibly happy and hoping I'll be able to get in. Anyone know how the waitlist is for Windsor? Thanks in advance and good luck to those who are waiting. 

2 minutes ago, priawet said:

Just heard back from Windsor's 2 year MSW - I'm on the waitlist. So incredibly happy and hoping I'll be able to get in. Anyone know how the waitlist is for Windsor? Thanks in advance and good luck to those who are waiting. 

I was also waitlisted. Second year in a row being waitlisted. Hopefully some of us come off of it this year. 

5 hours ago, priawet said:

I'm on the waitlist too! Fingers crossed for both of us.

On 3/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, mrshappygolucky said:

Hi! I was in the same boat as you - I had a degree in Crim and wanted to jump straight into a master's program but faced the same barriers.

I decided to complete the BSW at UVIC. It is entirely online and if you have a previous degree it's only 12 courses and 2 practicums. Because I already had experience in the field, I did the first practicum via PLA. I finished the program in four semesters and I've accepted an advanced standing position with Laurier. I worked full time and also volunteered on the side while taking 4 courses. The workload was not bad at all - most courses were two papers and weekly discussion posts.

All in all my journey will take 9 semesters, so about three years from BSW to ending the MSW. However, if I had chosen UVIC instead of Laurier, it would only be 7 semesters because UVIC only requires 6 courses plus a practicum for their MSW program.