MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

2 hours ago, Deena000 said:

My last name is E and I still haven’t heard from UofT advanced standing, hoping to hear soon either way. Sounds like a lot of waitlisted, still congrats to those who have heard! 

Same here, and my last name starts with C. Not sure if it is different since I’m an international student applying full time admission for advanced standing.

1 hour ago, Nus219 said:

Hey, thanks for your feedback. I do have working experience in child welfare outside Canada and also worked in Plan International Canada as donor care agent that indirectly relates to child welfare.  Also, recently started gathering volunteering hours to show a strong desire that i want to move in this field. I don't know what else i can do to boost my resume! Any kind of feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. 

I would start by messaging schools with 2-year programs to see if they will accept your degree and if they have taken students in the past with your background. Some programs also have course prerequisites, like research methods and statistics. And the requirements for references vary, and if they want professors, you’d need professors that can make a case for you enter social work. You may want to check out options for 3rd year BSW entry. 

You are doing the right thing to start researching this while ahead of application dates! Good luck.

45 minutes ago, CJackson15 said:

I would start by messaging schools with 2-year programs to see if they will accept your degree and if they have taken students in the past with your background. Some programs also have course prerequisites, like research methods and statistics. And the requirements for references vary, and if they want professors, you’d need professors that can make a case for you enter social work. You may want to check out options for 3rd year BSW entry. 

You are doing the right thing to start researching this while ahead of application dates! Good luck.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Just now, ApplePie25 said:

I found out I got waitlisted to UofT and I'm not too hopeful that status might change. I wonder, has anyone hear from Laurier yet?

I have not heard from Laurier yet. The website says the results will be out in May, but looking at past years forums, people start hearing anywhere from March - end of April. 

9 minutes ago, rexwsc said:

I just received an email from U of T indicating an update to my application status, and received my offer to advanced standing!!! So thrilled!!!

And finger-crossed for all of you waiting!

congratulations!! I'm international student applying for the 2-year msw program but hasn't received any update yet..

11 minutes ago, rexwsc said:

I just received an email from U of T indicating an update to my application status, and received my offer to advanced standing!!! So thrilled!!!

Congrats! So exciting!!! May I ask what stream did you select? 

2 minutes ago, CosmicVibes said:

Congrats! So exciting!!! May I ask what stream did you select? 

Thanks! I selected Health and Mental Health.

3 hours ago, Nus219 said:

Hey, thanks for your feedback. I do have working experience in child welfare outside Canada and also worked in Plan International Canada as donor care agent that indirectly relates to child welfare.  Also, recently started gathering volunteering hours to show a strong desire that i want to move in this field. I don't know what else i can do to boost my resume! Any kind of feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Looks like you have good experience. What kind of things are you writing about in your program proposal/personal statement? If you don't have a SW background or education maybe try learning a bit about anti-oppressive practice, antiracism, Indigenous SW so that you understand the angle you should be using when discussing social problems. It is also helpful to express a niche and a desired direction for your career

19 minutes ago, rexwsc said:

Congratulations!!!!! Do you mind sharing what your last name starts with?

1 minute ago, Deena000 said:

Congratulations!!!!! Do you mind sharing what your last name starts with?

Thanks! My last name starts with C.

Maybe sharing a bit of my background might be helpful I guess?

I am an international student from Hong Kong and worked as social workers for 10 years+ (had a really hard time calculating the hours as my country did not work this way, but it looks like I had 20000 hours+). I had experiences in school social work, support service with ethnic minorities and gambling addictions services. I was afraid of not getting an offer as I am just having a GPA of 83%-ish for my BSW (comparing to most of you getting at least A in your average) yet I have a masters degree in counselling as well. 

38 minutes ago, veronica58 said:

Looks like you have good experience. What kind of things are you writing about in your program proposal/personal statement? If you don't have a SW background or education maybe try learning a bit about anti-oppressive practice, antiracism, Indigenous SW so that you understand the angle you should be using when discussing social problems. It is also helpful to express a niche and a desired direction for your career

Hi thank you for your feedback. I am currently waiting on decision for Uoft 2 years MSW program. In my statement i basically focused on my diverse experience (though i have only 2 years of close to related experience). I have also tried to explain my personal mental health struggle that resonate with my culture and ethnicity. I only applied to Uoft for Masters. It's kind of like i'm playing gamble here lol. I have also applied to York for BSW post degree (3rd year entry). 

Edited by Nus219

Hi All!

Good luck to everyone who has applied and is anxiously awaiting news. I applied to advanced standing programs at U of T, Ryerson, and York in both 2019 (waitlisted at all schools) and 2021 (accepted to U of T, rejected to Ryerson and York). I was accepted last year to U of T's advanced standing child and family stream. I wanted to give you some info on the time line since it gets so confusing!

Last year Ryerson called all accepted applicants on March 4, and sent out rejections/waitlists the next day on March 5th.

U of T began changing applicants status on ACORN to INVITED on March 4th, but didn't send out official acceptances/waitlists until March 5th. I do think they change status alphabetically since I remember seeing people updating this forum all day with acceptances, and I didn't receive a change in my status until about 6pm (Last name starts with a Y!). They sent out acceptances/waitlists/rejections for the 2-year applicants about 3-4 weeks after the advanced standing, and began accepting people off the waitlist as early as May and as late as September! 

York did not send out anything until very late in the year, I believe it was late May/early June.

I hope this timeline helps ease a little bit of anxiety! Let me know if you have any questions :)

5 minutes ago, mlemsw said:

Hi All!

Good luck to everyone who has applied and is anxiously awaiting news. I applied to advanced standing programs at U of T, Ryerson, and York in both 2019 (waitlisted at all schools) and 2021 (accepted to U of T, rejected to Ryerson and York). I was accepted last year to U of T's advanced standing child and family stream. I wanted to give you some info on the time line since it gets so confusing!

Last year Ryerson called all accepted applicants on March 4, and sent out rejections/waitlists the next day on March 5th.

U of T began changing applicants status on ACORN to INVITED on March 4th, but didn't send out official acceptances/waitlists until March 5th. I do think they change status alphabetically since I remember seeing people updating this forum all day with acceptances, and I didn't receive a change in my status until about 6pm (Last name starts with a Y!). They sent out acceptances/waitlists/rejections for the 2-year applicants about 3-4 weeks after the advanced standing, and began accepting people off the waitlist as early as May and as late as September! 

York did not send out anything until very late in the year, I believe it was late May/early June.

I hope this timeline helps ease a little bit of anxiety! Let me know if you have any questions :)

Hi! I got waitlisted this year (yesterday) to U of T advanced… do you know how often people come off the WL?

1 minute ago, SWKMSW11 said:

congratulations!!! This is awesome! What stream did you apply for?

thank youu!! ❤️  

I applied for the children and their families stream:)

3 minutes ago, tturtle said:

thank youu!! ❤️  

I applied for the children and their families stream:)

You’re welcome ❤️

if you feel comfortable would you be able to share your background/ experiences with us? :) I personally got waitlisted at Ryerson and UofT, and didn’t receive any feedback

21 minutes ago, gradnotsad said:

Is anyone else an applicant to UofT's 2 year program anxiously waiting to hear back? I'm so scared of getting rejected, I've been wanting to apply since 2016.

I'm on the same boat as you! So anxious & It's getting in my nerve! ?

31 minutes ago, SWKMSW11 said:

You’re welcome ❤️

if you feel comfortable would you be able to share your background/ experiences with us? :) I personally got waitlisted at Ryerson and UofT, and didn’t receive any feedback

Sure!! 

I have a BA in psychology (2017) as well as going to college to complete a social service worker diploma (2019). I have been volunteering and working pretty consistently since I graduated in 2017!
Volunteer wise, I went abroad and volunteered in orphanages, hospitals, and in schools, I did administrative work at a private counselling practice, I was a peer mentor in my community and at my school, I did day camps over march break, and was a child and youth volunteer counsellour. Since 2018, I have worked as a child and youth counsellor (same place I volunteered at), as a residential support worker in a group home, in addictions (specifically gambling), as a custody/visitation supervisor, worked as a painter painting community housing units, and as a career mentor for students. I also tried to do as much community engagement as possible such as joining student advisory groups, panels with the Student Commission of Canada, a student task force member, and getting super involved within my school with different clubs and student orientations. Basically anything else I could get my hands on haha. I also did a bunch of professional development so every certificate, workshop, webinar, license and training which came out to about 30+. I am also registered with the OASW as a student member. 

Edited by tturtle