MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

9 hours ago, CaseyMSW said:

Thank you for kindly sharing this! It is really helpful! Though I found from Indeed that social worker in Canada usually earn less than it, it is still good to know that what a BSW can lead to. I will keep your advice in mind and thanks again for your reply ❤️

You’re right it’s not the norm, especially for SW in non-for profit or smaller organizations. Where it is the norm is in government positions or health care. Both are unionized and the wage is publicly available. You can go to the government of Canada website, or provincial government websites, or provincial health authority websites and look at their job postings to get an idea of the wage scale, benefits, etc. each province is different in their requirements and payscale and each province varies in the cost of living so consider that as well

Where I’m from (Alberta) the pay is high and cost of living is fairly low. From a financial perspective it’s a good choice. The downside is that you have to live in Alberta which is fairly embarrassing tbh ?

Edited by veronica58

17 minutes ago, veronica58 said:

You’re right it’s not the norm, especially for SW in non-for profit or smaller organizations. Where it is the norm is in government positions or health care. Both are unionized and the wage is publicly available. You can go to the government of Canada website, or provincial government websites, or provincial health authority websites and look at their job postings to get an idea of the wage scale, benefits, etc. each province is different in their requirements and payscale and each province varies in the cost of living so consider that as well

Where I’m from (Alberta) the pay is high and cost of living is fairly low. From a financial perspective it’s a good choice. The downside is that you have to live in Alberta which is fairly embarrassing tbh ?

Thanks for these information! May I ask why living in Alberta is embarrassing if you don't mind? Hahah though most of the universities I applied for are in Ontario, others are in Nova Scotia and Manitoba.

3 minutes ago, CaseyMSW said:

Thanks for these information! May I ask why living in Alberta is embarrassing if you don't mind? Hahah though most of the universities I applied for are in Ontario, others are in Nova Scotia and Manitoba.

Very red neck, lots of openly racist people and many who have loud mouths without educating themselves first. Honestly the culture is very hard to explain but if Trump was a Canadian province it would be Alberta. Does that make sense? I’ve lived here my whole life and whenever I travel to provinces like BC or Nova Scotia I’m amazed at how much better and more educated the people are. SW is very hard to speak to in AB because many people don’t agree with it or only want handouts when it helps them and not others, especially if the “other” is a marginalized group. Obviously not everyone is like that but there’s enough of them where it is distinct and noticeable. 

1 hour ago, veronica58 said:

Very red neck, lots of openly racist people and many who have loud mouths without educating themselves first. Honestly the culture is very hard to explain but if Trump was a Canadian province it would be Alberta. Does that make sense? I’ve lived here my whole life and whenever I travel to provinces like BC or Nova Scotia I’m amazed at how much better and more educated the people are. SW is very hard to speak to in AB because many people don’t agree with it or only want handouts when it helps them and not others, especially if the “other” is a marginalized group. Obviously not everyone is like that but there’s enough of them where it is distinct and noticeable. 

Thanks for your insight. I have been thinking of relocating (post-MSW) to Alberta because Ontario is just outrageous when it comes to housing and cost of living but I am hesitant because how different it is culturally/politically.

2 hours ago, veronica58 said:

I'm assuming this must be city-specific though right? I'm from Ontario (and Toronto to be specific) so I know for sure we are way more liberal than Alberta (despite our current premier being Conservative!). But I feel like Calgary has to be much more liberal than some smaller town cities in Alberta, no? 

22 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I'm assuming this must be city-specific though right? I'm from Ontario (and Toronto to be specific) so I know for sure we are way more liberal than Alberta (despite our current premier being Conservative!). But I feel like Calgary has to be much more liberal than some smaller town cities in Alberta, no? 

I actually feel like Calgary is more conservative tbh. A lot more white collar workers who somehow believe a conservative government will make them more wealthy through some kind of trickle down effect idk. Maybe Calgary comes across more groomed and presentable than the rest of Alberta but it’s the same ideologies just polished 

3 hours ago, veronica58 said:

On the flip side, people doing work in Queer/Arts spaces in Calgary/Alberta I know to be extremely rad and very dedicated to changing the narrative in Alberta. I have some friends who specifically chose to move back/stay in Calgary to help see it grow and to support their communities there. If you want a space that will be challenging but rewarding Alberta does have that going for it.

27 minutes ago, BillyWong024 said:

U of T where are u 

honestly.. my application status still says submitted :( i'm not getting my hopes up to expect any earlier than april 9 but I would sure like it to happen before then for all of us..

33 minutes ago, Msw2022k765 said:

My status on acorn just changed to invited with a $500 deposit! U of T 2 year program, domestic applicant. 

Hey congratulations! Would you mind letting us know the first letter of your last name? Also, if you could share your experience with us?! :)

On 3/22/2022 at 6:14 AM, CaseyMSW said:

Thank you for your reply❤️ I know there are advanced stadning MSW programs but my situation is a little bit complicated. My mom, who provide me the money to study abroad, will not let me take another year in studying mostly because we don't have enough money. That's why I am in a dilemma: BSW spends more (around 10000 CA dollars a year than MSW for international student)with less pay, but relatively easy to apply for. It may helps me get out of here more quikily but I'm worried about if I could make a living with that pay(plus I have to pay my loan by then). Anyway, wish me lucky enough to receive a MSW offer. And thanks again for your kind reminding ; 

I feel for your situation! It's a hard decision to pursue another bachelor's but depending on how much work experience you have in the field, getting a BSW first isn't bad because you'd get lots of field experience before doing an advanced MSW, rather than going straight into a 2 year MSW. Once you get a BSW you'd likely find work and you can pay for your own advanced MSW (if you get your permanent residency, you're eligible to purse the advanced MSW online even while working). This could lessen the financial pressure for your mom. Wishing you much luck getting into your programs!

30 minutes ago, Nus219 said:

Hey congratulations! Would you mind letting us know the first letter of your last name? Also, if you could share your experience with us?! :)

Sure! My last name begins with the letter D. 

I am pretty shocked as I am a first year applicant. I have a degree in family and community social services, a diploma in social work, and a diploma in community development, all with a 4.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.  I have about 3000 hours of diverse experience, mostly volunteer, in both micro and macro capacities.  My statement was based largely on personal experiences and how they relate to my area of interest. 

Best of luck to everyone waiting!

3 minutes ago, Msw2022k765 said:

Sure! My last name begins with the letter D. 

I am pretty shocked as I am a first year applicant. I have a degree in family and community social services, a diploma in social work, and a diploma in community development, all with a 4.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.  I have about 3000 hours of diverse experience, mostly volunteer, in both micro and macro capacities.  My statement was based largely on personal experiences and how they relate to my area of interest. 

Best of luck to everyone waiting!

Hey, thank you for sharing! Did you also receive an email?

Edited by Nus219

On 3/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, tturtle said:

When you say take your acceptance back, do you mean are you able to accept Waterloo and then accept Laurier and then go back and reject Waterloo?

Yes that's what I mean, since my decision for Waterloo is due before I will hear back in the .005% chance I accept and end up sharing back that I also got accepted from Laurier would I be able to tell Waterloo I got another offer and accept Laurier's and no longer attend Waterloo. If that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

For those wondering, my last name starts with K - no changes on SGS portal yet and no email. However this is the first time I'm seeing the $500 in my Acorn so I'm 99.9% sure it's an acceptance ?

Ah okay! Congratulations!!! I’m 99.9% sure that you are correct and will be receiving an official letter soon!!!! Such an accomplishment!!!