MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

Just now, hertl12 said:

I applied to U of T, York, UBC-O Foundational, and Laurier 2 year. Has anyone heard from Laurier who is a regular track applicant? 

Im trying not to give up hope. I literally broke down yesterday when I saw others had heard back from the 2 year. Its just so difficult, Ive given up so much of my time volunteering, working and in school. Ive maintained a very good average. It just seems like whatever I do is never enough.

12 minutes ago, hertl12 said:

Hey I believe for regular track applicants Laurier sends out admissions in April! I applied for the advanced standing stream and haven’t heard back (I don’t think anyone has). But last year it seems like Laurier took a while to get back to people (most people heard end of March - middle of April). 

I completely understand your frustration. It’s hard not to feel defeated especially when you put your all into it (personally feeling this way also). Please take care of yourself ❤️ it will all work out! 

Just now, gradnotsad said:

Just spoke to someone from FIFSW admissions office who let me know that Angela said all decisions will be posted to the SGS portal by early April!

I wonder what "early April" means to them? I wish they gave a specific day ahhh. I hate having to just go log in and refresh the page every hour

7 minutes ago, hertl12 said:

I totally feel you. Social work is the only career I want to pursue and I literally spent almost every minute of my free time during my undergraduate and the following several years volunteering, trying to get closer to an MSW program (I'm an international student living in a country where social workers can hardly pay for rents with unbelievable low salaries. I also have to take care of my mom who lives with severe mental illness so unfortunately I could not work as a social worker for the past few years although I extremely want to, which in turn makes my CV weaker than most applicants I believe.)

I know it's really hard to keep calm when we keep hearing people getting good news while we get nothing. I've been trying not to doubt myself or break down but sadly I never made it. I just want to let you know that you're never alone. Also, as we can see, things are not over yet so maybe we'll hear some good news any time from now. 

9 minutes ago, gradnotsad said:

Could someone who has the "Admissions confirmation form" on their SGS please post a photo of what that looks like? Thank you!

My last name starts with K and it was just updated (I've been checking all day lol, took a break, and checked again after reading here). I was getting real nervous there. So I do believe they are doing this alphabetically.

Screenshot_20220325-141435_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DD2021

8 minutes ago, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Okay I don't have anything on ACORN or SGS and my last name starts with G... I think I've officially lost hope for UofT 

someone in this forum said maybe it is not going alphabetically. and more so maybe by the date and time of applying. My last name is R and I applied literally the last hours of deadline. The wait is killing me. lol I am also losing hope. welp.

OK I just called and spoke with someone at FIFSW who said "on the record, invited on acorn just means you can technically enrol in courses in a program......off the record, it is an acceptance"...What is with these answers!! I know I should feel confident, but I don't see that "Admission confirmation form". This is hard.

2 hours ago, MSW2022UofT said:

Noticed my Acorn for UofT 2-year MSW said invited and my SGS portal has now updated saying "Awaiting Admissions Confirmation Form". Last name starts with  J. Hope we get official confirmation soon.

I didn't receive the email with the official 28-page document until about 3 days later, so don't worry, it's coming! 

12 minutes ago, J12345 said:

OK I just called and spoke with someone at FIFSW who said "on the record, invited on acorn just means you can technically enrol in courses in a program......off the record, it is an acceptance"...What is with these answers!! I know I should feel confident, but I don't see that "Admission confirmation form". This is hard.

I am 99% sure they are updating SGS with that info alphabetically. I saw your last name initial and you may see it change later tonight or even Monday. Another poster with an earlier initial than ours had their SGS updated late last night. Though I agree, doesn't it make more sense to send out the official letter of acceptance first/update SGS, then update Acorn? Weird order their process is. Though I'm 99.9% sure an Acorn update means an offer of admission, this is based on my 4 rounds and 3 years on grad cafe, and of course your admissions dept contact ?

Hello everyone! I've received my official acceptance to UVIC.

Stats again for anyone curious:

• ~11,000 hours of paid/volunteer social work experience
  • 4.0 GPA in my BSW, also hold a Bachelor of Arts, Criminology
  • 87% over last twenty courses 

I will be declining as I've already accepted a May start for Laurier.

I was also accepted to Waterloo, so if anyone has any questions around my personal statement or experience please feel free to ask! I found these forums very helpful when I was applying!

4 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

I am 99% sure they are updating SGS with that info alphabetically. I saw your last name initial and you may see it change later tonight or even Monday. Another poster with an earlier initial than ours had their SGS updated late last night. Though I agree, doesn't it make more sense to send out the official letter of acceptance first/update SGS, then update Acorn? Weird order their process is. Though I'm 99.9% sure an Acorn update means an offer of admission, this is based on my 4 rounds and 3 years on grad cafe, and of course your admissions dept contact ?

Thank you, I hope you are right LOL I know logically it should be fine but the anxiety is real! I hope you get into your dream program! 

2 minutes ago, J12345 said:

Thank you, I hope you are right LOL I know logically it should be fine but the anxiety is real! I hope you get into your dream program! 

I am in your same boat - my acorn and SGS are updated (I already paid the deposit), but am waiting for the official form now.