NSF GRFP 2021-2022

alexhunterlang

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, alexhunterlang said:

If you are wondering how to get started, I wrote up my advice. I have also collected quite a few examples you can all check out. Please let me know if you have more examples to share! 

I thought you'd stopped this! Thanks for keeping it going. Happy to send mine along if there's a place to submit them.

Edited by lkaitlyn

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 10:06 AM, Idris Barakat said:

Hey guys, 

I was wondering if it's permissible to combine the "Intellectual Merits" and "Broader Impact" section. Because I have seen examples where people wrote them conjointly. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Thank you!! 

It's best if you keep them separate and explicitly have bold headings saying "broader impacts" and "intellectual merits". Reviewers will score you on a scale based on those categories so you have to make it easy for them to distinguish between the two. Also when you download the template it specifically says to include those headings. Good luck!

On 10/21/2021 at 10:18 AM, sunny_blues said:

It's best if you keep them separate and explicitly have bold headings saying "broader impacts" and "intellectual merits". Reviewers will score you on a scale based on those categories so you have to make it easy for them to distinguish between the two. Also when you download the template it specifically says to include those headings. Good luck!

I know the deadline has passed but for the benefit of people in future years, I also recommend separating. They're reading these things really quickly so strategic bolding/italicizing/underlining is important to help the reviews get through the material. (Also, as sunny_blues said, they ask you to separate them anyway.) It's also helpful to see how much you have for each so you can ensure you have a balance. A lot of people forget to put enough broader impacts, but that's easy to see visually if that section is separating from the others.

Edited by lkaitlyn

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was discussing this cycle of GRFP applications with a university admin and they told me that they hope I "hear good news in May." Is it expected that this year's results are going to be released late? I've not heard of them being released any later than April before.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:42 PM, CycloRen said:

Was discussing this cycle of GRFP applications with a university admin and they told me that they hope I "hear good news in May." Is it expected that this year's results are going to be released late? I've not heard of them being released any later than April before.

Well, as an undergrad, I will cry if it's in May

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of things:

First, I noticed that the withdraw application button on FastLane recently disappeared, so I guess we're in the end game now. Also, the award list defaults to 2022.

Secondly, does anyone think that results could be released next week? I know that the site says "at the end of March", but I think I'm so impatient that, for me, the end of March includes next week and the week after (doesn't help that last year's results were released early in the second to last week of March). Is everyone interpreting "at the end of March" to mean the last week of March?

Edited by Amaranthae

21 minutes ago, Amaranthae said:

A couple of things:

First, I noticed that the withdraw application button on FastLane recently disappeared, so I guess we're in the end game now.

Secondly, does anyone think that results could be released next week? I know that the site says "by the end of March", but I think I'm so impatient that, for me, the end of March includes next week and the week after (doesn't help that last year's results were released early in the second to last week of March). Is everyone interpreting "by the end of March" to mean the last week of March?

This might just be the optimist in me, but I think there's a pretty good chance they'll be announced next Tuesday. They've come out a little earlier than usual the last couple of years. I also think that the 'end of March' is somewhat arbitrary, but I could be wrong. Did they have that same announcement last year?

Also, at the *very* least, we have only ~two more weeks of waiting around and then its over. For my own sanity, I hope they're released next week though lol

5 hours ago, Amaranthae said:

A couple of things:

First, I noticed that the withdraw application button on FastLane recently disappeared, so I guess we're in the end game now. Also, the award list defaults to 2022.

Secondly, does anyone think that results could be released next week? I know that the site says "at the end of March", but I think I'm so impatient that, for me, the end of March includes next week and the week after (doesn't help that last year's results were released early in the second to last week of March). Is everyone interpreting "at the end of March" to mean the last week of March?

Like @yallknow mentioned, I'm hoping for early next week. I was creeping around the old threads and hoped it would be released around the same time this year

6 hours ago, yallknow said:

This might just be the optimist in me, but I think there's a pretty good chance they'll be announced next Tuesday. They've come out a little earlier than usual the last couple of years. I also think that the 'end of March' is somewhat arbitrary, but I could be wrong. Did they have that same announcement last year?

Also, at the *very* least, we have only ~two more weeks of waiting around and then its over. For my own sanity, I hope they're released next week though lol

I used the Wayback Machine to view last year's archives of nsfgrfp.org and I didn't see a similar announcement saying to expect results at the end of March. Going by what happened last year and the year before (according to last year's thread), there might be maintenance announced tomorrow into Saturday that will signal that results might come out next Monday into Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

So, I went to log into FastLane for fun and I was prompted to change my password (which apparently had expired). Not gonna lie, I had a mini heart attack when I saw something other than the normal, entirely unchanged portal... And now, I'm wondering what it all means! Do I need a new password because my continued ability to access this site is necessary? So much paranoia, so little time. 

20 hours ago, Amaranthae said:

I used the Wayback Machine to view last year's archives of nsfgrfp.org and I didn't see a similar announcement saying to expect results at the end of March. Going by what happened last year and the year before (according to last year's thread), there might be maintenance announced tomorrow into Saturday that will signal that results might come out next Monday into Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

Well, about that, they announced maintenance for Friday on the 16th:

03/16/22  -  FastLane will be unavailable from 8:00 PM ET Friday, March 18th, until 8:00 AM ET Saturday, March 19th. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Edit: I got this from last year's thread, this might ruin some people's night but it might be released tonight or tomorrow morning.

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 5.32.23 PM.png

Edit 2: False alarm, this seems to happen every week.

Edited by Hougu
more info