NSF GRFP 2021-2022

alexhunterlang

12 minutes ago, Chemistrynstuff said:

Well to talk about something other than when they’re releasing results :,) anyone wondering if they’ll raise the stipend with cost of living skyrocketing? 

Hopefully, but probably not. Fed employees are only getting a 4.6% raise for COL (as proposed by the white house today) which is pretty much pennies since inflation is double that. 

I tried to contact my program to ask for a raise because of inflation, and they ghosted me. LOL

5 hours ago, dynomite6711 said:

When have they said April and released in March? I just really hope they do it tonight and there are no tech mishaps lol

They used to just generically say the results would be out in April (from my memory)...this is going back to like 2009 or 2010.

19 hours ago, LaserFreak16 said:

To be fair, the solicitation for this year said the awardees are estimated to be closer to 2500, so they might have more "potential" applications to choose from and that's making things take a little bit longer this year.

I dunno, from my perspective as an engineer, +/- 1 week is still pretty close to a deadline given the number of people and moving parts involved. I've definitely never had a project with a group of people work that tight personally. I'm willing to give them some grace even if it's a bit frustrating.

Nah. These are working professionals not students on school project. They need to get their sh!t together. Set an achievable date and stick to it. 

Edited by GH1D

15 minutes ago, GH1D said:

Nah. These are working professionals not students on school project. They need to get their sh!t together. Set an achievable date and stick to it. 

You are in for a lot of disappointment with academia.

21 hours ago, LaserFreak16 said:

To be fair, the solicitation for this year said the awardees are estimated to be closer to 2500, so they might have more "potential" applications to choose from and that's making things take a little bit longer this year.

I dunno, from my perspective as an engineer, +/- 1 week is still pretty close to a deadline given the number of people and moving parts involved. I've definitely never had a project with a group of people work that tight personally. I'm willing to give them some grace even if it's a bit frustrating.

Agreed! Although I wish they hadn't said anything about when they expected to release results if it was going to change! I'm hoping they were expecting today, but moved it to Friday

41 minutes ago, sPeLLeFaCdArG said:

image.png.03680b9a4319a9b0c98439683e21e5ae.png

Look, I know I said 6 pages, but after gathering the critical data, it might need to be more like 10 or 20 for them to release the results April 1 ?

Wait, but isn’t this suggesting that at lower page counts that the results are released earlier? So we should all stop posting if we want the results? ?

1 hour ago, GH1D said:

Wait, but isn’t this suggesting that at lower page counts that the results are released earlier? So we should all stop posting if we want the results? ?

Technically that just means the more time it takes to release results = more time to post and speculate lol. But I'm down to  quit speculating so I can stop wasting my time worrying about this ?

1 hour ago, wistem11 said:

Agreed! Although I wish they hadn't said anything about when they expected to release results if it was going to change! I'm hoping they were expecting today, but moved it to Friday

This is basically my pet theory. I think that the results are basically ready, but they ran into a technical issue preventing them from securely presenting this year's results, hence why the 2021 results are still down. To me, this might mean that they're using something from the last year's result list to display this year's results. Based on this, I think (hope, really) that it's quite possible for results to be released this Friday, and that they're saying "early April" to cover their bases in case results are released even later.

1 hour ago, Amaranthae said:

This is basically my pet theory. I think that the results are basically ready, but they ran into a technical issue preventing them from securely presenting this year's results, hence why the 2021 results are still down. To me, this might mean that they're using something from the last year's result list to display this year's results. Based on this, I think (hope, really) that it's quite possible for results to be released this Friday, and that they're saying "early April" to cover their bases in case results are released even later.

I sure hope you're right! I really want to know to help me make my grad school decision with two weeks left!

1 minute ago, Ksoto1 said:

Is anyone else surrounded by debbie downers constantly telling them not to expect to recieve an award? That's like all I ever hear. I mean I understand managing my expectations, it is like a 15% acceptance rate but still, everyone is so negative. 

That's horrible! Honestly, how I view it- you NEVER know with things like this and grad school applications overall. It always seems semi-random to me. Just relax and don't listen to people who try to suck away your happiness. Have faith.

1 minute ago, socthoughts said:

Do we think this means that the results won't be posted Friday? In past years there was maintenance the night before/the morning of the decisions being posted. 

Screenshot_20220330-142306_Chrome.jpg

I think the timing of the maintenance announcement has been erratic in previous years so it's hard to say. They might still announce maintenance tomorrow morning for tomorrow night to release results early Friday morning.