NSF GRFP 2021-2022

alexhunterlang

3 minutes ago, socthoughts said:

Do we think this means that the results won't be posted Friday? In past years there was maintenance the night before/the morning of the decisions being posted. 

Screenshot_20220330-142306_Chrome.jpg

They do maintenance every weekend. It has nothing to do with the GRFP. 

3 minutes ago, socthoughts said:

Do we think this means that the results won't be posted Friday? In past years there was maintenance the night before/the morning of the decisions being posted. 

They do maintenance every week. The maintenance that "matters" should show on this page according to other posters: https://www.research.gov/grfp/Login.do

38 minutes ago, socthoughts said:

I am pretty sure this is just the normal scheduled maintenance, which has happened the past few weekends! (Unless I'm mistaken that is haha). Supposedly, when maintenance goes down for results the advisory is put up the day of and at times only a few hours ahead of the maintenance start. Idk I just would like results and I am really tired of the finish line consistently getting moved on us : ( 

48 minutes ago, Ksoto1 said:

Is anyone else surrounded by debbie downers constantly telling them not to expect to recieve an award? That's like all I ever hear. I mean I understand managing my expectations, it is like a 15% acceptance rate but still, everyone is so negative. 

I’m in the opposite situation. I keep telling everyone around me that I’m not going to get it, and everyone keeps telling me I should be more optimistic. It’s actually really frustrating because I don’t think anyone actually believes it, I think they’re just trying to be polite.

honestly i just want to know at this point so i can make decisions about next year and move forward with my life.... and put an end to this anxiety building up inside. I am trying rly hard not to be too optimistic either, but i can't help thinking that i might have a better chance this year with the increase in # of awards... all i know is if i get it, this will actually change my life.

1 hour ago, nuttynuttynut said:

honestly i just want to know at this point so i can make decisions about next year and move forward with my life.... and put an end to this anxiety building up inside. I am trying rly hard not to be too optimistic either, but i can't help thinking that i might have a better chance this year with the increase in # of awards... all i know is if i get it, this will actually change my life.

How do you know that there is an increased number of awards?

2 hours ago, Fruit Flies said:

I’m in the opposite situation. I keep telling everyone around me that I’m not going to get it, and everyone keeps telling me I should be more optimistic. It’s actually really frustrating because I don’t think anyone actually believes it, I think they’re just trying to be polite.

Same. I'm just preparing myself to TA for the next zillion years because it tempers the disappointment of not being awarded. Also the odds are against me because I'm not at a top ten school, and apparently most awards go to those who are. That being said, from talking to a wide range of people it really seems like getting the GRF is a matter of luck that doesn't really have a rhyme or rhythm. With so many proposals, and so many different reviewers, it seems to really depend on who else's work is in the stack with yours and the mood your reviewers were in on the day they read it. Especially with the heavy focus on the personal statement. 

so April 15th is a Friday ? anyone want to bet they'll give us a 12 hour turnaround to tell grad programs that rejected us waitwaitpls I have funding (this is mostly in jest but they'd already be cutting it pretty close for my comfort if it drops on the 1st)

I spoke with a prof (not my PI)) at the grad school I'll be attending yesterday and she mentioned her colleague was on a board with NSF and *just* got out of a meeting where NSF found out how much money they were getting from the gov this year. Like the meeting was either Monday or Tuesday morning. Not sure if that has anything to do with the delay but who knows! Fingers crossed for Friday though.

5 minutes ago, ronqman said:

I spoke with a prof (not my PI)) at the grad school I'll be attending yesterday and she mentioned her colleague was on a board with NSF and *just* got out of a meeting where NSF found out how much money they were getting from the gov this year. Like the meeting was either Monday or Tuesday morning. Not sure if that has anything to do with the delay but who knows! Fingers crossed for Friday though.

On Monday the NSF announced how much funding they had for the 2023 FY. Perhaps this colleague was referring to that? I would assume that funding would be secured prior to announcing the 2022 GRFP. 

2 minutes ago, GH1D said:

On Monday the NSF announced how much funding they had for the 2023 FY. Perhaps this colleague was referring to that? I would assume that funding would be secured prior to announcing the 2022 GRFP. 

This could be part of the delay though, maybe they were waiting for 2023 data before announcing the 2022 awards, I can imagine it would be chaotic from releasing awards to jumping right into 2023 planning/maybe they had to present 2022 things at the meeting before releasing them. I could be very wrong but I can possibly see a connection, either way they should have not moved the goal posts on us lol

50 minutes ago, GH1D said:

where is this info? how much funding are they getting for 2023?

10 hours ago, qq2 said:

so April 15th is a Friday ? anyone want to bet they'll give us a 12 hour turnaround to tell grad programs that rejected us waitwaitpls I have funding (this is mostly in jest but they'd already be cutting it pretty close for my comfort if it drops on the 1st)

Omg yeah it's my fear rn that I'll have to make my decision before I know about the grfp because I also got an international acceptance and I have to give them an answer by April 6th! Please please please come out tomorrow nsf groundhog ?

5 minutes ago, Amaranthae said:

The 2021 list is still down and there doesn't seem to be a maintenance notification. Starting to doubt that results will be released tomorrow. This is getting a bit ridiculous.

Agreed that it is ridiculous. But, maintenance is usually posted in the afternoon so I don’t we’ll know until COB. 

This page is starting to get pretty pitiful. We're all scientists here and as anxious as we all probably are for results to come out, it's time to start thinking realistically. Everyone read the solicitation that said results would come out in early April- regardless of what the banner on the website said, this was our expectation from Day 1. Looking at the spreadsheets that people have posted here, results have come out on a Tuesday 9 out of the past 13 years. It would sure be nice for them to come out today, but it seems like a waste of time to spend a whole day worrying about results coming out when it's not even certain they will.

16 minutes ago, gneissrock said:

This page is starting to get pretty pitiful. We're all scientists here and as anxious as we all probably are for results to come out, it's time to start thinking realistically. Everyone read the solicitation that said results would come out in early April- regardless of what the banner on the website said, this was our expectation from Day 1. Looking at the spreadsheets that people have posted here, results have come out on a Tuesday 9 out of the past 13 years. It would sure be nice for them to come out today, but it seems like a waste of time to spend a whole day worrying about results coming out when it's not even certain they will.

I think I found the one person I DON’T want to get the fellowship.

22 minutes ago, gneissrock said:

Honestly yeah, there's so much to worry about at this point in the year without everyone stirring each other up into one big panic spiral every week. Best to just wait and let each other know when results actually come out.

28 minutes ago, gneissrock said:

I mean...kinda what this thread is for? It's not like anyone is religiously checking here of all places to find an award notification - those get emailed directly to us. Genuinely, if you find the content of this thread displeasing, there isn't a need to be posting here

48 minutes ago, gneissrock said:

I’d rather commiserate with random other people on the internet than spiral alone! Lots of people use this thread to talk with others in a positive way. I know I don’t have anyone in real life that I can talk about my nerves with, I’m sure other people here feel the same.