NSF GRFP 2021-2022

alexhunterlang

1 hour ago, gneissrock said:

This page is starting to get pretty pitiful. We're all scientists here and as anxious as we all probably are for results to come out, it's time to start thinking realistically. Everyone read the solicitation that said results would come out in early April- regardless of what the banner on the website said, this was our expectation from Day 1. Looking at the spreadsheets that people have posted here, results have come out on a Tuesday 9 out of the past 13 years. It would sure be nice for them to come out today, but it seems like a waste of time to spend a whole day worrying about results coming out when it's not even certain they will.

Literally don't come on here if you don't want to be on here... no one is forcing you to read this... and just coming on to shame people? LOL cute

1 hour ago, gneissrock said:

This page is starting to get pretty pitiful. We're all scientists here and as anxious as we all probably are for results to come out, it's time to start thinking realistically. Everyone read the solicitation that said results would come out in early April- regardless of what the banner on the website said, this was our expectation from Day 1. Looking at the spreadsheets that people have posted here, results have come out on a Tuesday 9 out of the past 13 years. It would sure be nice for them to come out today, but it seems like a waste of time to spend a whole day worrying about results coming out when it's not even certain they will.

I agree with the general sentiment of what you said, especially since I'm guilty of fanning the flames with regards to wanton speculation on when maintenance will happen, but I think you came across a little too acerbic, especially in calling us "pitiful".

Your point regarding the banner is a little strange. The NSF GRFP actually specified, on the program's homepage, that results would be posted by the end of this month (today, actually). Why wouldn't we listen to that and assume that results would be out a little earlier than the solicitation specified? The banner was posted back in mid-February - they had a month and a half to remove it, and they chose to do it essentially at the 11th hour. That's why we're a little miffed.

Like others have said, this is a space for discussion on the results, and that will most likely include anxious posts. I do agree that it's not healthy to spend the entire day waiting for results.

2 hours ago, gneissrock said:

Sooo why are you here then?

45 minutes ago, gradgirl123 said:

My people, at this rate, I don't think it's going to come out tomorrow. :( We did the six pages and everything lol.

I'm just waiting to see a maintenance announcement. There is still time to announce maintenance for tonight, which would hopefully mean they're posting results in the morning!

20 minutes ago, luckyduck221 said:

I'm just waiting to see a maintenance announcement. There is still time to announce maintenance for tonight, which would hopefully mean they're posting results in the morning!

I definitely hope so! If not, Tuesday seems most likely based on past years. Stay strong, folks! 

On 3/28/2022 at 3:52 PM, Amaranthae said:

So, I decided to make a slightly updated version of the spreadsheet shared in last year's and the year before's threads. Each year is a link to the thread for that competition year.

254858403_Screenshot2022-03-28164739.png.f878aa3bd6d3d073aa723e40f5ede060.png

Everyone can take a look at the spreadsheet itself here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LaF7o1oBPHAbVkxuHtAH7MeGDs7qsc_xZoB-Kijn4II/edit?usp=sharing

The latest they've announced maintenance the night before results was in 2013 (9pm), so there is still a chance we'll hear results tomorrow....!

I struck out completely on my grad school applications - went 0/9 with no interviews at all. I have to assume that I  will not get either NSF or NDSEG, so I've already accepted a really good offer for a job in industry. At this point, I'm just curious whether all of my work crafting the proposals for these fellowships was in vain. I gave up on grad school months ago when it was clear (by the lack of interview requests) that academia refused to recognize my work and commitment to research. This is my third cycle, I have 7 coauthored publications spanning seven years and now work in a Harvard lab. Industry is better.

1 hour ago, JustScienceThings said:

I struck out completely on my grad school applications - went 0/9 with no interviews at all. I have to assume that I  will not get either NSF or NDSEG, so I've already accepted a really good offer for a job in industry. At this point, I'm just curious whether all of my work crafting the proposals for these fellowships was in vain. I gave up on grad school months ago when it was clear (by the lack of interview requests) that academia refused to recognize my work and commitment to research. This is my third cycle, I have 7 coauthored publications spanning seven years and now work in a Harvard lab. Industry is better.

Hey dude! I know it sucks, but as someone who also didn't go to grad school right out of undergrad, industry can help you get into grad school so don't give up!! I graduated and did a year at Samsung, and used the knowledge from there in semiconductors to parlay that into a grad school offer a year later. The only downside is getting used to the money, so make sure to save because it's hard to give up the standard of living (I go through an extra 500 a month of industry money savings or so).

Just don't give up if research is what you want to do! The research based graduate degree will make it leagues easier to progress in industry too, and without one your path is significantly harder (still possible ofc). So if your passion is research please do yourself a favor and reapply next year and don't get too down about this. Funding was awful this cycle as well, my lab's best undergrad only got into our lab for grad school too for some insane reason.

Edited by whatta_nerd

2 hours ago, JustScienceThings said:

If you’re really interested in academia then you should keep applying until you get in! It doesn’t always have to be an R1 school, just get your foot in the door and work your way to where you want to be! Whether you get the NSF or not, that is not indicative of your ability to succeed in this field

Does anyone know if you get the NSF, if you can reach out to a school you were rejected from without an interview and ask if they'd reconsider your app ? I know it's technically possible to reach out but I'm curious whether it would be considered kind of rude to even ask

14 minutes ago, wistem11 said:

Does anyone know if you get the NSF, if you can reach out to a school you were rejected from without an interview and ask if they'd reconsider your app ? I know it's technically possible to reach out but I'm curious whether it would be considered kind of rude to even ask

By all means do this! Some schools are even known to reach out themselves, unilaterally. It's actually quite easy for them to do: they just need to cross reference the list of awardees against their rejected applicants. I've heard of a few people that successfully leveraged NSF for admission. So yes, definitely reach out and let them know that you are now free labor to them... universities and academia LOOOOOVE free labor. I wish I was pulling an April Fools joke, but I'm actually dead serious.

3 minutes ago, JustScienceThings said:

By all means do this! Some schools are even known to reach out themselves, unilaterally. It's actually quite easy for them to do: they just need to cross reference the list of awardees against their rejected applicants. I've heard of a few people that successfully leveraged NSF for admission. So yes, definitely reach out and let them know that you are now free labor to them... universities and academia LOOOOOVE free labor. I wish I was pulling an April Fools joke, but I'm actually dead serious.

Ah that's so crazy! I'm definitely thinking about doing it, but I'm not sure that they would just accept me without interviewing me? And there will literally be like 10 days till the deadline? Do you know what it was like for the people you've heard of using it as leverage? I guess I'm just thinking it would be an entirely different situation if I had already interviewed but been waitlisted or rejected after interview

Edited by wistem11

33 minutes ago, wistem11 said:

Ah that's so crazy! I'm definitely thinking about doing it, but I'm not sure that they would just accept me without interviewing me? And there will literally be like 10 days till the deadline? Do you know what it was like for the people you've heard of using it as leverage? I guess I'm just thinking it would be an entirely different situation if I had already interviewed but been waitlisted or rejected after interview

Plenty of programs admit without interview, even in fields where interviews are common. Some typical scenarios include only first round applicants being invited for interviews but second round offers being given, and direct acceptances going to top students before interviews even occur. At some (many?) schools, interview weekends are more of a means to wine and dine recruits than they are to filter through top applicants. Typically what makes admission competitive is the fact of limited resources and the most important resource that is limited is funding. After that, it is advisor time (eg. a really full lab might mean an advisor isn't taking on new students). If you bring your own funding, you eliminate the first problem and also 'prove your worth' in one swoop. Of course they will want you. 

I bet we'll hear back by next week (Tuesday or Thursday), since they said notifications would be out by "early April". Otherwise if they wait until the week of April 11th, that is technically mid-April. I would classify everything past that as late April. 

I know all the speculation is exhausting but I am really hopeful that we'll know by a week from today!