NSERC PGS D 2022-2023

MarleyBarley

1 minute ago, GHbwoy said:

can someone post a flat out rejection letter and waitlisted letter? I am curious to know as I don't know what kind of letter I got. I am not getting funded and this is my last chance.

". I regret to inform you that your application did not score highly enough to be funded, and you will not be offered an award." from mine last year

Just now, MarleyBarley said:

thats a waitlist! same wording for mine... i got a rejection last year and it def was not worded like this one. 

That's somewhat comforting! Honestly I didn't think it would be so competitive. Anyways hope you get bumped up! Good luck!

I got this as well:

I regret to inform you that, although your application was considered meritorious, it was not funded due to budgetary constraints. If additional funds become available, your application could be considered for an award at a later date.

Does this mean waitlist? 

14 minutes ago, GHbwoy said:

can someone post a flat out rejection letter and waitlisted letter? I am curious to know as I don't know what kind of letter I got. I am not getting funded and this is my last chance.

Mine this year says:
"I regret to inform you that, although your application was considered meritorious, it was not funded due to budgetary constraints. If additional funds become available, your application could be considered for an award at a later date."

Last year mine said: "Y
our application did not score highly enough to be funded, and you will not be offered an award."

So I think I'm waitlisted for this year, but was flat out rejected last year.

Edited by Tararizer

196 - accepted for PGS-D

For all of those who were waitlisted or rejected, remember that your research matters! Academia is hell and there should be more funding period. 

Thanks to everyone on here who posted constant updates. 

Was awarded a CGS-D with committee 195. BEYOND surprised about that ? I had very mediocre undergrad grades but a few publications, lots of industry experience, and great grad school grades. Congrats to all of the winners, and to all applicants. Getting to the national competition is a prize in unto itself. 

I got a CGS D!! Committee 197 - Electrical Engineering. I'm over the moon right now! I knew it was going to be really competitive so I didn't get my hopes up, but this makes a huge difference for me honestly. 

Also for those curious:

Currently at 2.5 years in grad school total, did a transfer from MSc to PhD at McMaster for Engineering Physics. I previously received a CGS M, I have two first author papers, a second author paper in Nature, four conference papers, and three patents. Also if it's relevant my research topic is new lasers for optical satellite communication with the Optical SatCom Consortium (https://www.opticalsatcom.com/).

Congratulations to everyone who made it this far, this is hella competitve and while I know it's not possible for everyone to get an award even if that'd be dope, I hope any of you who didn't get it can reapply and get it next year. Remember to take some time for self care regardless of the results, this has been extremely stressful on everyone I feel. 

29 minutes ago, Undeadmudkipz said:

I got a CGS D!! Committee 197 - Electrical Engineering. I'm over the moon right now! I knew it was going to be really competitive so I didn't get my hopes up, but this makes a huge difference for me honestly. 

Also for those curious:

Currently at 2.5 years in grad school total, did a transfer from MSc to PhD at McMaster for Engineering Physics. I previously received a CGS M, I have two first author papers, a second author paper in Nature, four conference papers, and three patents. Also if it's relevant my research topic is new lasers for optical satellite communication with the Optical SatCom Consortium (https://www.opticalsatcom.com/).

Congratulations to everyone who made it this far, this is hella competitve and while I know it's not possible for everyone to get an award even if that'd be dope, I hope any of you who didn't get it can reapply and get it next year. Remember to take some time for self care regardless of the results, this has been extremely stressful on everyone I feel. 

I would have been surprised if something like this didn't get funded. I'm super bummed about my rejection. Certainly will be moving out of Canada after my PhD there's absolutely nothing here for applied research although this application does give some hope.

Acceptation, CGSD, I'm in neuro but my selection committee was No.: 196 - Psychology

Fell asleep and woke up to this :)  I transferred from my MS in Sept, and have 2 pubs as 4/5ths author as a UG, no 1st authorships (at time of sending app)

Gl everyone on apps next year, praying for y'all successes

Edited by PhdNeuroWestern

I have four first-author publications and several second, with multiple conference presentations. My undergrad was dogshit, but my marks in grad school have been pretty immaculate. This is hot bullshit.

Some days, academia can eat a bag of dicks. Fucking sucks, and it's difficult not to take personally.

4 hours ago, UbbyDubby said:

I have four first-author publications and several second, with multiple conference presentations. My undergrad was dogshit, but my marks in grad school have been pretty immaculate. This is hot bullshit.

Some days, academia can eat a bag of dicks. Fucking sucks, and it's difficult not to take personally.

Sorry to hear that, I feel like theres a lot of subjectivity in this kind of processes and depending on what committee u're in it might already be very competitiive. 

Its hard not to feel sad about it sorry :(

I got PGS D, first attempt for doctoral NSERC, had CGS m in my masters, 1 first author publication and 3 conferences, committee 194. Does it differ the amount of funding you get according to the type of the award CGS D vs PGS D?

Edited by D_ali

Congrats to all those who were successful!  And for those who weren't this time around, it is so subjective and you are still an amazing academic to have made it this far. It is such a gruelling process.

I am wondering if anyone else is hoping for a May 1st start date and if you think that will be feasible given how late the awards were announced? I am wondering if I should just say Sep. 1st instead to make it simpler..

Well I'm kind of surprised I didn't get anything, although from the wording of the letter and comments in this thread I guess I'm waitlisted. I have 8 publications (2 first-author and 3 second-author), 3 oral conference presentations, an oral presentation award at CCCE and 2 other poster presentations. Lots of community involvement in student groups and university committees and although no previous NSERCs I have a decent amount of internal awards (total ~55k over my grad studies). I had two previous CGS-D winners and a few profs look over my proposal and application package so I don't think it was terrible. My grad level GPA is 4.4 but my undergrad is only 3.5, I can't imagine that would be affecting my results very much? How much info do we get when we actually see our scores, do they break down how we scored on each category?

I know the process is subjective and everyone who even got to the national level is highly competitive so I shouldn't be too disappointed but I expected at least a PGS-D. On paper my application seems better than my friend from my department who got a CGS-D this year. I'm not even sure why I'm typing this, just ranting at this point. I have an internal award with almost equal value to the PGS-D until January 2023 so it wouldn't have even changed much for me. Probably done with academia at this point, going to sell my soul to big pharma and go to the USA for $$$. Congrats to everyone who got one!

Committee 179 in chemistry since I see people posting that. 

Edited by chemistrysucks

10 hours ago, UbbyDubby said:

Right there with you friend, you have a better CV than me and I expected at least a PGS-D but got nothing. All depends on how nice the reviewers are and whether your research resonates with them I suppose.

Is anyone else still waiting for their portal to show updated results? I was locked out of mine until this morning (NSERC tech support had to unlock it for me) but all I see are last years decision notifications. Are they still sending out results? Thanks!! 

Edited by S_Husb