2022 Results

StringOfSymbols

Hello all. I saw results posted for two PhD programs I applied to, Wisconsin and Toronto. Wisconsin result was posted yesterday and the Toronto one today. Does anyone know whether initial admits for each of these schools are usually informed on the very same day? (The Toronto admit mentioned being Canadian and being offered a fellowship). 

6 hours ago, SZK1010 said:

Hello all. I saw results posted for two PhD programs I applied to, Wisconsin and Toronto. Wisconsin result was posted yesterday and the Toronto one today. Does anyone know whether initial admits for each of these schools are usually informed on the very same day? (The Toronto admit mentioned being Canadian and being offered a fellowship). 

Really hoping there are more spots at Wisconsin Madison. 

On 2/5/2022 at 8:51 AM, GWFHegirl said:

Got accepted for PhD from Emory and DePaul on 2/4, and got rejected by Northwestern. 

Emory! I was unaware they had sent anything out yet, congrats. I haven't heard anything this far from anyone- not even a rejection. Do rejection letters normally go out a bit after the wait list and acceptance letters?

Rejected from Emory and Northwestern. Pending everywhere else (UC Riverside, UC Berkeley, Georgetown, Oregon, Kentucky, Loyola Chicago, Columbia, Duquesne, CUNY, Vanderbilt, SUNY Stony Brook, Villanova, Boston U, Fordham, McGill, DePaul, and New Mexico). Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances so far!

42 minutes ago, ineffective-egoist said:

It looks like Toronto emailed people about acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. I still haven't heard anything from them! Do they have different application cycles or procedures for Canadian and international students?

the way things go is that you anxiously await any news and feverishly refresh your email, the gradcafe results page, check your mailbox, etc. If you haven't heard from the program, you're stuck in some sort of purgatory (of what kind you don't know). Fortunately or unfortunately, the admissions process is not standardized and many schools have procedures that might strike one as idiosyncratic or counter-productive. (ex: note the poster who was interviewed by DePaul and then rejected. But, from what I've been told, interviews are often a formality of sorts at most programs. Apparently not at DePaul).

Toronto receives an outrageous number of applications.

Edited by you'll_never_get_to_heaven

14 minutes ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

the way things go is that you anxiously await any news and feverishly refresh your email, the gradcafe results page, check your mailbox, etc. If you haven't heard from the program, you're stuck in some sort of purgatory (of what kind you don't know). Fortunately or unfortunately, the admissions process is not standardized and many schools have procedures that might strike one as idiosyncratic or counter-productive. (ex: note the poster who was interviewed by DePaul and then rejected. But, from what I've been told, interviews are often a formality of sorts at most programs. Apparently not at DePaul).

Toronto receives an outrageous number of applications.

Can confirm that Johns Hopkins interview was not just a formality either - I got that rejection from them right before University Of Wisconsin-Madison waitlist.

Edited by StringOfSymbols

What is the interview process like? I was interviewed for undergrad forever ago, but I have no idea what an interview for a doctoral program would be like (especially one in philosophy).

[btw my comments on just about anything should be taken with a hefty dose of salt. I'm a student, not a professor, etc. I don't know all that much about what I'm talking about]

Edited by you'll_never_get_to_heaven

On 1/28/2022 at 10:50 PM, ararslan said:

I heard that the number of applicants decreases this year by 15% in comparison to last year. A prof from Yale says on his twitter, Yale got 530 application last year and this year it is 450. 

@captleibniz I don't know ararslan's source, but they seem to share it with this reddit poster. Note, however, that Toronto tends to have large incoming cohorts (in the 10s). I don't know anything about whether they're doing so this year.

38 minutes ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

@captleibniz I don't know ararslan's source, but they seem to share it with this reddit poster. Note, however, that Toronto tends to have large incoming cohorts (in the 10s). I don't know anything about whether they're doing so this year.

The source, was most likely Jason Stanley who tweeted about it maybe two weeks ago. The reason for the limited space is due to Yale taking applicants from the previous cycle this go-around.

2 hours ago, TakingACarnap said:

Hello to everyone. Nice to be in community with you all here. 

Here are my current results: a2 w1 r0 p12

Acceptances are: Minnesota, Nebraska

Waitlist: Michigan State

First cycle for me.

UG GPA: 3.82

MA GPA: 4.00

Can you elaborate on your Nebraska acceptance? What did they state in the email? Anything about cohort size (etc.) 

19 hours ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

What is the interview process like? I was interviewed for undergrad forever ago, but I have no idea what an interview for a doctoral program would be like (especially one in philosophy).

[btw my comments on just about anything should be taken with a hefty dose of salt. I'm a student, not a professor, etc. I don't know all that much about what I'm talking about]

It was just a 30 minute zoom call with two faculty members, one in my areas of interest, and one to answer administrative question.
Didn't get the sense that there was very much structure to it. No idea if other interviews are like this - few schools do them.

Anyone else get an email from Fordham just saying 'On behalf of the Ph.D. in Philosophy (with prior Master's degree) at Rose Hill program at Fordham University's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS), thank you for submitting your completed application for 2022 Fall admission. Please save this email for your reference.'?

I did not just submit the app--submitted Jan 1 or something--so I thought this was strange. Maybe not tho uwu?

On 2/6/2022 at 8:52 PM, Julz said:

I got accepted to Toronto's PhD program yesterday - very happy about it. Happy to give more details if it will help anyone. Yet to hear back anything from the other ten places I applied to. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

I'm a current Toronto student, if you're interested in talking about the program/school/city.

This goes out to anyone who gets into Toronto.

Edited by Kantistotle

On 2/7/2022 at 8:55 PM, Rhizomatic68 said:

Is that Toronto application number typical for them? Over 400 apps seems ludicrous. 

This is normal at Toronto. Keep in mind that almost every Canadian applicant applies to Toronto, so that pushes up the numbers. It's also a massive department in terms of number of faculty. Probably the largest or second-largest in the world (after Oxford)

Edited by Kantistotle