2022 Results

StringOfSymbols

10 hours ago, Larry David said:

These comments are helpful. I especially appreciate your insight on certain program's strategy of  "playing the numbers" with their acceptances, thereby making it unlikely that they will move to the waitlist. I would like to think that this is not standard practice. However, I have no epistemic grounding for this thought--hopeful thinking perhaps. 

As far as I'm aware (certainly correct me if I'm wrong), most humanities PhD programs accept more folks than they're hoping will enroll. And this system, although it can be stressful for admissions directors, seems far better than if there were fewer acceptances. The people who are currently waitlisted wouldn't be better off, at any rate.

9 hours ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

As far as I'm aware (certainly correct me if I'm wrong), most humanities PhD programs accept more folks than they're hoping will enroll. And this system, although it can be stressful for admissions directors, seems far better than if there were fewer acceptances. The people who are currently waitlisted wouldn't be better off, at any rate.

Hello all. I currently work as a grad coordinator in ecology and evolutionary biology, obviously not in the humanities, however, we also admit double the available spaces. For this cycle we had 10 spots and offered 21 acceptances. We haven't gone into our waitlist in the past few years. I should say that our program is top-10 rated at an elite university. I do however, communicate often with coordinators at my university in other programs (including humanities) who utilize the same admissions approach. 

I am waitlisted at Purdue University. The email stated that they are admitting 6 students this cycle. There was no indication on whether or not the waitlist is ranked. Does anyone have any information? Specifically, if you have been accepted, are you planning to accept? If you are waitlisted, have you corresponded with the director of graduate studies and/or have any additional information? 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, TakingACarnap said:

Accepted to University of Oklahoma, PhD. 

a: Oklahoma, Minnesota, Nebraska

w: Boston U, Michigan State, Kansas, Cincinnati, Utah

r: Penn, Oregon, Georgetown, UCSD, Wisconsin 

p: Texas A&M 

Congrats on the successful cycle! Which waitlist offer are you waiting for to make a decision? 

21 hours ago, Larry David said:

Congrats on the successful cycle! Which waitlist offer are you waiting for to make a decision? 

Thanks! I have accepted Minnesota, and removed myself from waitlists and acceptance offers 

On 3/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, Larry David said:

I am waitlisted at Purdue University. The email stated that they are admitting 6 students this cycle. There was no indication on whether or not the waitlist is ranked. Does anyone have any information? Specifically, if you have been accepted, are you planning to accept? If you are waitlisted, have you corresponded with the director of graduate studies and/or have any additional information? 

Thanks!

Ok, one more attempt at soliciting information regarding the situation at Purdue University. Ultimately, I welcome any information! 

How to compare PhD placement of MA programs? Hey folks, I need to choose between terminal MA programs by Friday. I've seen each program's placement record (i.e. their placement record into PhD programs) but I find it hard to directly compare the data from multiple schools over multiple years... Has anyone encountered or created a ranking other than Philosophical Gourmet Report's (aka PGR) one? PGR seems very granular for PhD programs, but for MA programs it just lists general tiers (e.g. first tier is Tufts only, second tier is a group of 6 schools or so, like GSU, NIU, and Brandeis—and so on) but the problem is that it doesn't differentiate between the multiple schools in each tier. (Here's the PGR page for MA rankings for 2017; couldn't find one for 2021). Perhaps someone has "calculated a score" for each of these second-tier MA programs based on something like the following: the average PGR ranking of each one's PhD placement record, over, say, the last fifteen years? A reductive approach, admittedly, but it could be helpful nonetheless. (I could try to do it myself but don't want to reinvent the wheel if it's already been done!) Feel free to comment or DM me if you want more deets of what I'm looking for. Thanks for any pointers!

Unfortunately, a lot of movement doesn't happen until today/tomorrow (14th/15th), since some folks are still deciding, and others are holding out for a waitlist offer and therefore don't commit to another school. Makes the end quite chaotic... 

In other news I got waitlisted by SLU literally this morning. Idk what took so long. 

Still hoping I get off the waitlist into UNC, but if that doesn't happen I'll probably go to FSU. Hard choices :(

On 4/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, StringOfSymbols said:

I accepted OSU today, so if you're waitlisted at UCSD, Notre Dame, UT Austin, or Wisconsin Madison your chances just went up.

Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats! I assume by OSU you mean Ohio State. I'm a grad student there so feel free to reach out if you have any questions about living out here in Columbus. Though I'm sure you have already met some of the other grad students.