2022 Results

StringOfSymbols

28 minutes ago, hogsfrombeyond said:

TakingACarnap, what is your top school? As a fan of Carnap, I simply must know 

Heya, it was Minnesota. I was offered admission and have accepted. I had Penn, Wisconsin, and UCSD highly ranked as well. 

On 3/4/2022 at 12:59 PM, mindbodyproblem said:

yes, Boston College! I have a lot more thinking to do before anything is set in stone (so take this with a grain of salt), but BC is towards the top of my list and I will likely decline the Fordham offer. BC I heard from much earlier than the others so I've communicated much more with their department (which could make me skew towards them), so I need to do the same for UVA and BU (Boston University) before I can accurately rank.

Interesting mix of schools. May I ask what’s your AOI?

Purdue has sent out acceptances and rejections. I am assuming that I am on the waitlist since I have not heard anything from them. If anyone on here got accepted, please let me know if they indicated their cohort size or any other pertinent information. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Satrean_Eyes said:

Interesting mix of schools. May I ask what’s your AOI?

i'm pretty eclectic! i'm on the border of phil of mind and history of phil/religion, currently interested in attention and emotions -- but i'm slowly veering into phenomenology of love and ethics as a whole. i'm coming from a highly analytic department that is extremely strong in metaphysics, so it is possible that that has skewed my acceptances in a weird way. 

in other news, has anyone heard from Cornell? i'm still holding out hope

received a waitlist offer for Harvard this morning (after assuming rejection -- goes to show you can't assume anything until you hear from them!). if anyone is interested in doing me a favor, please decline your acceptance ? it's my top choice, but i'm too much of a pessimist to assume i'll get a spot 

2 hours ago, mindbodyproblem said:

received a waitlist offer for Harvard this morning (after assuming rejection -- goes to show you can't assume anything until you hear from them!). if anyone is interested in doing me a favor, please decline your acceptance ? it's my top choice, but i'm too much of a pessimist to assume i'll get a spot 

I assume that I won't get into CUNY or Columbia, but I don't mind a pleasant surprise.

Waitlisted at UCR, which is definitely a top choice for me. I think I'd do very well there.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, Larry David said:

Purdue has sent out acceptances and rejections. I am assuming that I am on the waitlist since I have not heard anything from them. If anyone on here got accepted, please let me know if they indicated their cohort size or any other pertinent information. Thanks!

Follow up: I did indeed get waitlisted at Purdue University. They have made offers to six applicants with no indication on how large their waitlist is. If you got accepted, I would love to hear from you. Specifically, are you planning to accept, where does Purdue rank on your list, etc. Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm new here. Applied to 6 schools this year, thus far 5 rejections... Does anyone know if the wording of the rejection letters is any indication to how good the application was? I got quite differently worded ones... 

E.g. Harvard wrote: "After careful review, I regret to inform you that the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is unable to take favorable action on your application to the Program in Philosophy.   The number of promising applicants well exceeded the number of offers of admission we can make for the 2022-2023 academic year.

I know that this decision comes as a disappointment.  Unfortunately, enrollment of new students is limited to a small fraction of those who are qualified for admission.  I want to assure you that your application received full consideration by faculty members in the program to which you applied.

We appreciate your interest in the Graduate School and wish you success in your future studies."

Whereas Northwestern simply wrote this: 

"After consultation with the program and after a thorough evaluation of your credentials by The Graduate School, I regret to inform you that you have been denied admission for graduate study at Northwestern University. Because your interest in the University is deeply appreciated, this decision is not easy to convey. Though your plans cannot be accommodated at Northwestern University, the faculty and administrators of The Graduate School respect your intellectual ambition and wish you success in attaining your goal of advanced study."

Also: Anyone know if Pittsburgh has a hidden waiting list? I still haven't heard from them but according to the spreadsheet they already sent out rejections...

Thanks and best of luck to everyone who's still waiting...

1 hour ago, PerceptionEverywhere said:

Hey guys,

I'm new here. Applied to 6 schools this year, thus far 5 rejections... Does anyone know if the wording of the rejection letters is any indication to how good the application was? I got quite differently worded ones... 

I wouldn't read too much into the letters' wordings. Most of them are generic and are not tailored to specific applicants. If you are really interested in seeking feedback for your application, you can try emailing the department to ask for one. I am not hopeful that they will provide useful feedback though. A remarkable exception is when Alexander Guerrero (Rutgers' Director of Graduate Admissions) personally provided quite comprehensive feedback for rejected applicants.) This was quite a massive effort as he sent out 103 such feedbacks! I doubt most programs will put nearly as much effort into providing feedback as Guerrero did. But hey, who knows, there might be more Guerreros out there, so perhaps worth a shot!

welp looks like my cycle is complete

A: Boston College, Boston University, UVA, Fordham

W: Harvard, Notre Dame, UMass

R: Chicago, Yale, Toronto, Cornell, UBC, Georgetown, Princeton, NYU

I'm gonna be holding out to see if I get off the Harvard waitlist, but will be declining the other 2 waitlists. still need to decide what my backup will be if Harvard doesn't pull through, but I plan on declining Fordham as well.

25 minutes ago, mindbodyproblem said:

welp looks like my cycle is complete

A: Boston College, Boston University, UVA, Fordham

W: Harvard, Notre Dame, UMass

R: Chicago, Yale, Toronto, Cornell, UBC, Georgetown, Princeton, NYU

I'm gonna be holding out to see if I get off the Harvard waitlist, but will be declining the other 2 waitlists. still need to decide what my backup will be if Harvard doesn't pull through, but I plan on declining Fordham as well.

Congrats! You've had a good run. 

Acceptance: 
Waitlist: UVA, Notre Dame, Toronto
Rejection: Princeton, UNC, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, MIT, Amherst, UCSD, UC Riverside, Oxford, Cambridge
Pending: USC, Rutgers, Arizona

Has anyone been rejected from USC and Arizona? I saw someone has been accepted and waitlisted. 

4 hours ago, yclruce said:

Acceptance: 
Waitlist: UVA, Notre Dame, Toronto
Rejection: Princeton, UNC, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, MIT, Amherst, UCSD, UC Riverside, Oxford, Cambridge
Pending: USC, Rutgers, Arizona

Has anyone been rejected from USC and Arizona? I saw someone has been accepted and waitlisted. 

I haven't received any news from Arizona, either. I'm waitlisted at the same programs you are waitlisted at lol. Good luck to both of us!

A:

W: Toronto, UVa, Colorado-Boulder, UConn, Syracuse, Notre Dame (2nd waitlist)

R: Rice, UW-Madison, Boston U, Brown, UNC, UMass, UBC, Rochester (assumed), UT-Austin (assumed), Arizona (assumed)

P: Rutgers, CUNY, Miami

We are about a month away from deadline day. Here are a few thoughts:

1. With a few exceptions, the top 25 (and perhaps even the top 50) programs have released their acceptances (and waitlists). 

2. Prospective student events are taking place now and during the next two weeks. I have already attended a few myself.

Because of 1-2, at this point in time you should not be holding on to 7 acceptances. (I chose  7 because someone on the results page claimed to have this number.) You should absolutely decline a few of those offers asap. If you can honestly tell me that you are considering all 7 offers, then I am extremely disappointed in your lack of preparedness (learning about the programs you are applying to, meeting faculty and graduate students, and learning about the program including financial package) for this application cycle.

For those that have around 3 acceptances. I imagine you are doing your due diligence the next couple of weeks (attending the prospective student event, meeting with faculty, etc.) and should be able to narrow your acceptances down to 2. 

For those that have an acceptance and are waitlisted at multiple programs that they would not chose over their acceptance, you should take yourself off the waitlist asap. This action is trivial to you but potentially substantial to others. 

If you have 0 acceptances and are on multiple waitlists, I hope you are staying mentally well during this difficult time!

Finally, there are surely cases where it makes sense that someone is holding on to multiple acceptances. However, during the next week, I encourage everyone in this category to spend some time evaluating their acceptances and declining those offers that are realistically not in the running (including waitlists offers). I have spoken to a few of the programs I am waitlisted at and the DOG's state that their has been no movement. Since most of the (ranked) programs have released first round acceptances and some holding prospective events, the time is NOW to get the movement started.

4 hours ago, Larry David said:

Finally, there are surely cases where it makes sense that someone is holding on to multiple acceptances. However, during the next week, I encourage everyone in this category to spend some time evaluating their acceptances and declining those offers that are realistically not in the running (including waitlists offers). I have spoken to a few of the programs I am waitlisted at and the DOG's state that there has been no movement. Since most of the (ranked) programs have released first round acceptances and some holding prospective events, the time is NOW to get the movement started.

For what it's worth this year was the earliest WL movement in general that I've seen in the last 4 years or so. It looks like, in general, folks are turning down the offers they know they will not accept and that is helping the shuffling start at a few programs. With any luck that will spell good news once the visiting days wrap in another week or so.

A caveat of sorts I want to flag for folks is about yield--some programs (including top programs) will make more A offers than they have spots for with the running assumption that a certain percentage of folks will turn them down leaving them with an incoming class of x (or something). In past years there have been times when folks were confused about why SCHOOL's WL didn't move even though 4 folks had declined the acceptance. If a school accepts 12 expecting an incoming class of 8, there's no movement until the 5th person declines ??‍♂️ It's still not totally clear which schools do this and which don't (gathering the stats on that is a work in progress), but it is something to be aware of since folks can decline in a timely fashion and the WL can still not move at all in a given cycle for some schools ?.

On 3/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, MtnDuck said:

For what it's worth this year was the earliest WL movement in general that I've seen in the last 4 years or so. It looks like, in general, folks are turning down the offers they know they will not accept and that is helping the shuffling start at a few programs. With any luck that will spell good news once the visiting days wrap in another week or so.

A caveat of sorts I want to flag for folks is about yield--some programs (including top programs) will make more A offers than they have spots for with the running assumption that a certain percentage of folks will turn them down leaving them with an incoming class of x (or something). In past years there have been times when folks were confused about why SCHOOL's WL didn't move even though 4 folks had declined the acceptance. If a school accepts 12 expecting an incoming class of 8, there's no movement until the 5th person declines ??‍♂️ It's still not totally clear which schools do this and which don't (gathering the stats on that is a work in progress), but it is something to be aware of since folks can decline in a timely fashion and the WL can still not move at all in a given cycle for some schools ?.

These comments are helpful. I especially appreciate your insight on certain program's strategy of  "playing the numbers" with their acceptances, thereby making it unlikely that they will move to the waitlist. I would like to think that this is not standard practice. However, I have no epistemic grounding for this thought--hopeful thinking perhaps.