2022 Results

StringOfSymbols

30 minutes ago, PhilBlast said:

Is not having heard from many programs yet this late in the game a good sign? I've only heard from three out of 12 so far and one was an acceptance (funding waitlist).

My understanding is that this is pretty normal. I heard back from two schools so far (and one of them was a notification that I was recommended for admission, so it's not even an official offer yet), and it looks like most schools notify applicants in the last week of February to mid-March. I'm hoping I hear back from a few more starting next week!

Just got rejected from MIT. Standard form letter via email which ended up in my Junk folder. That makes my count this year 0a/2r/1w/11p. Congrats to all those who got into the MIT program!

Edited by Logic_Lady

0a / 0w / 6r / 13p. Boston seemed like a really good fit, too. At least I feel like I got a good backup career plan now, which I did not have before I started my M.A. But, man, it's been rough in general and these rejections really hit harder than I'd expected! However, I think I got really good advice from everyone I asked, etc. I also applied pretty widely, because my interests are pretty wide-ranging: I picked my M.A. program largely due to its strengths in philosophy of science, cogsci, and philosophy of mind, but my "roots" are in 19th Century German philosophy, critical theory, phenomenology, etc. The upshot of this is that I work pretty well with just about anyone and enjoy helping other students a lot, and my writing does not feature the glaring omissions you often in see in a lot of 20th century philosophy of any tradition/school (or, at least, I try pretty hard for it not to do so). I hope that came off in what I submitted to one of these programs!

pending: UC Riverside, Georgetown, Kentucky, Columbia, Duquesne, CUNY, Villanova, Fordham, McGill, New Mexico*, DePaul, Vanderbilt.

Edited by you'll_never_get_to_heaven

I want all of you to know that I feel your rejection pain. Not only have I been rejected myself, but I also have had the unpleasant experience of sending out rejection letters (we don't actually call them those, they are called 'not admitted') as a grad coordinator in EEB. It's really sucks extra to see everyone limp through this process while also having participated myself in someone else's rejection pain. Stay strong everyone, good news is on the way!  

18 hours ago, TakingACarnap said:

I don't know if this helps anyone (hopefully it does) however, I declined my offer to Nebraska-Lincoln today. If you're on the waitlist, I hope this does something for you. Cheers all. 

Many thanks for declining early--sometimes we have folks hold on to schools they know they won't pick given their available options and it's a nightmare on 4/15 as folks try to get shuffled off of waitlists. I'll add a note to the stats page on the spreadsheet that someone has declined their acceptance for this school

TTFN Yale (as if I didn't already know I was getting rejected considering the number of applications this year for a cohort size of 2-4)!

Trying to keep myself busy for the next two weeks so I don't obsessively refresh my email while waiting for the bulk of my admission decisions...

0a/4r/1w/9p

I saw a funny tweet this morning, and I was about to give it a like. However, I quickly realized that the author of the tweet is a member of a department where I was recently rejected. 

So, of course, I declined to like the tweet. 

5 hours ago, ineffective-egoist said:

Has anyone heard from UNC? I saw one person got a phone call about acceptance but didn't see anything else from them.

I'm waiting to hear from them myself, but there are three people on the FB group who've said they got acceptance phone calls and two people (presumably the same folks) who've posted their acceptance on the Results page here.

Edited by Logic_Lady

Waitlist from University of Wisconsin-Madison, admitted to UCSD, rejected from Carnegie-Mellon University PhD, but admitted to their Masters with partial fellowship (counting this as a rejection)

2a/1w/6r/16p

Hit me up if you're going to UCSD visiting day

Edited by StringOfSymbols

1 hour ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Well, given that UC Riverside, Villanova, Georgetown, Fordham, Duquesne, and DePaul have all sent something out, I'm assuming I'm likely rejected from those. 

Guess I'm forced to choose a more viable and lucrative career path.

Never say never until you have the actual R--a number of schools have hidden waitlists (has been a contentious topic for years) and it's always possible that someone will end up getting off of a waitlist they didn't originally know they were on ??‍♂️.

Source: had at least one case of this every year since I started running the spreadsheet.

47 minutes ago, MtnDuck said:

Never say never until you have the actual R--a number of schools have hidden waitlists (has been a contentious topic for years) and it's always possible that someone will end up getting off of a waitlist they didn't originally know they were on ??‍♂️.

Source: had at least one case of this every year since I started running the spreadsheet.

Yeah, but if I expect the worst I can only be pleasantly surprised. 

Do not take that from me.

On 2/15/2022 at 6:00 AM, thehuman said:

I see that Northwestern has released (at least some) decisions. I have not received any news. What do you think this means? Does anybody know if they release all decisions at the same time or if they wait to release some WLs and admits later on? Or... here comes the scary alternative: do you think they might have missed my application?

Same thing with Virginia. 

Welp I got rejected by Virginia and Duke, which sucks. 

Meanwhile Chapel Hill waitlisted me. Pretty stoked about that! Hopefully a few decide to go elsewhere---UNC is a top school for me. 

All of that makes the count: 2a/1w/5r/10p. Considering I was sure I'd get shut out I'd call this a victory so far. 

16 hours ago, captleibniz said:

Welp I got rejected by Virginia and Duke, which sucks. 

Meanwhile Chapel Hill waitlisted me. Pretty stoked about that! Hopefully a few decide to go elsewhere---UNC is a top school for me. 

All of that makes the count: 2a/1w/5r/10p. Considering I was sure I'd get shut out I'd call this a victory so far. 

Interesting! Congrats on getting into two programs, and getting wait-listed at UNC Chapel Hill, an amazing department. I hope they let you in. 

Edited by SZK1010

On 2/24/2022 at 12:22 AM, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

you could email them.

The advice I got from my supervisor is that I should wait to hear from them lest I look desperate. The thing is: I am desperate to get into these two programs! So, I would like for them to know of my continued interest. I read somewhere that sometimes applicants get in touch with the department to see if they need additional documents to move them up on the waiting list. Still, I am complying with my supervisor's advice for now. But I am open to suggestions, people!

1 hour ago, thehuman said:

The advice I got from my supervisor is that I should wait to hear from them lest I look desperate. The thing is: I am desperate to get into these two programs! So, I would like for them to know of my continued interest. I read somewhere that sometimes applicants get in touch with the department to see if they need additional documents to move them up on the waiting list. Still, I am complying with my supervisor's advice for now. But I am open to suggestions, people!

I mean, given what applicants are hearing about numbers this season, I'd imagine many are feeling are desperate and - given that fact - a department would be acting rather dickish if they were to look down on an applicant for emailing them. The sheer amount of general anxiety among people under 40 right now is immense, and I'd imagine throwing this application season on top of that is quite a lot (even if PhD applicants are, of course, definitely no where near the most unfortunate of their peers)

Y'all.........I heard literally nothing all week............even though I've seen people get acceptances and waitlists from several of the programs where I applied. Not even anything from my home institution (that one really hurts!!!). Officially, I'm still waiting to hear back from 9 schools, although I'm pretty sure 5 of them are foregone conclusions at this point. My last 4 are.....wait for it....Princeton, Cornell, Rutgers, and NYU. Ugh! Seems like ye olde buxom broad is warming up backstage for her inevitable aria upon the stage of my graduate-degree hopes. If I were a betting woman, I'd put money on me getting shut out this year.

C'est la vie (et la guerre)! Best of luck to the rest of you ❤️

Hey All!

Anyone who received an acceptance from Duquesne and is thinking of declining the offer please do that as soon as you can ?❤️

I got waitlisted and it's my top choice... I would really really appreciate it! Good luck everyone! May we all find a programme to welcome us!