2022 Results

StringOfSymbols

25 and 18! Holy smokes.. I should of applied to more (I'm at 8 so far, but a couple of mid-February deadlines I could still throw an appy at). We'll see what happens, I know everyone in my MA program last year struck out (something that has never happened for our program which has place 90% of its students into PhDs). There was about 5 of them, and this year we have an additional 5 people applying for their PhD. It's gonna be more competitive this year by the sounds of things– I doubt programs are going to take on more candidates this year simply because they took a reduced load last year. This is my first rodeo, I'm definitely prepared for disappointment.

Rhizomatic,

I did hear that there were a lot fewer applicants in general this year compared to last - so even if there aren't more total slots, your chances should still be higher than they would have been last year (at least if what I heard is right)

Edited by StringOfSymbols

On 1/25/2022 at 12:53 PM, StringOfSymbols said:

Rhizomatic,

I did hear that there were a lot fewer applicants in general this year compared to last - so even if there aren't more total slots, your chances should still be higher than they would have been last year (at least if what I heard is right)

Arizona State and Syracuse had far fewer applications this year.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:20 AM, ararslan said:

I heard that the number of applicants decreases this year by 15% in comparison to last year. A prof from Yale says on his twitter, Yale got 530 application last year and this year it is 450. 

Interesting... but I wonder, what would be the reason for this? I thought people start to apply more once the Covid situation is (relatively) better and classes are back to face to face.

10 hours ago, pkaz said:

Interesting... but I wonder, what would be the reason for this? I thought people start to apply more once the Covid situation is (relatively) better and classes are back to face to face.

Generally, the worse an economic situation is, the more people apply to grad school. The economic situation has perhaps improved from last year, but still isn't great. I'm sure some people delayed applying for COVID reasons, but delaying only makes sense when one has a good idea of how to use the intervening time... It's worth noting that, just for comparison in this one case, Yale used to get applications in low 300s before pandemic, so last year was a *massive* increase, which has dropped off a little but is still much bigger than before.

10 hours ago, Rhizomatic68 said:

Congrats! I'm still in the dark, although it looks like a couple of programs I'm interested in have conducted interviews. It must feel good to get a hit on the first word!

It really does take some of the stress off. I'll end up somewhere at least ?

8 minutes ago, StringOfSymbols said:

Still early, looking at the sheet there will be more results late Feb https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yb_yciijFGEp5roVKYJ40U4eiREo3ZQTeSQkEjGMSsg/htmlview#

Oh, yeah, I know! Not my first rodeo. But it's nice to just get it all out of the way ASAP - rejections included! It's really hard to focus on anything else right now!