2022 Results

StringOfSymbols

1 hour ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Thanks! I got it down. I absolutely love smoking and always have, but I really had to face the fact that I needed to quit - really quit - and get it over with.

Good to hear. I'll be rooting for you. 

On 2/8/2022 at 9:36 AM, TakingACarnap said:

Hello to everyone. Nice to be in community with you all here. 

Here are my current results: a2 w1 r0 p12

Acceptances are: Minnesota, Nebraska

Waitlist: Michigan State

First cycle for me.

UG GPA: 3.82

MA GPA: 4.00

Update:

Accepted: Minnesota, Nebraska-Lincoln

Waitlisted: Boston U, Michigan State 

Rejected: Wisconsin 

a2 w2 r1 p10

An update:

Just got an offer from Florida State this afternoon. Three rejections from Northwestern, Chicago, and Wisconsin-Madison, respectively. 

I'm stunned that I wasn't shut out. Very excited that I'll have a choice between Baylor and FSU. Hoping for more! 

2a/0w/3r/13p

I see that Northwestern has released (at least some) decisions. I have not received any news. What do you think this means? Does anybody know if they release all decisions at the same time or if they wait to release some WLs and admits later on? Or... here comes the scary alternative: do you think they might have missed my application?

Loyola Chicago, Northwestern, Emory, and UC Berkeley have all failed to observe my brilliance, nor have they acknowledged the profundity of my philosophical interventions. I told my Mother today and she assured me that our esteemed family will be boycotting these institutions hereto forth. I will pursue my mistress Sophia at whatever doctoral program shall have me, and they will be better for it.

3 hours ago, thehuman said:

I see that Northwestern has released (at least some) decisions. I have not received any news. What do you think this means? Does anybody know if they release all decisions at the same time or if they wait to release some WLs and admits later on? Or... here comes the scary alternative: do you think they might have missed my application?

I have the same issue with 3 or 4 other schools I applied to. Some have hidden waitlists, which is just to say that you might not have been outright rejected, but you may be low enough on the waitlist that a school is reluctant to inform you thereof. 

Hard to know what may be going on otherwise. Every program is different.

Conan : What gods do you pray to?
Subotai : I pray to the four winds... and you?
Conan : To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen.
Subotai : [chuckles]  What good is he then? Ah, it's just as I've always said.
Conan : He is strong! If I apply to a PhD program, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is his contribution to our cohort?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of consideration for admissions and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his admissions committee.
Subotai : Ah, my god is greater.
Conan : [chuckles]  Crom laughs at your four winds. He laughs from his tenure-track position.

So far, no acceptances or waitlist notifications. Four rejections.

On the one hand, a lot of time and effort and money may have all gone down the drain.

On other hand, admissions committees are inadvertently preventing me from committing financial suicide.

4 hours ago, Kaeleigh said:

Has anyone heard from UVA? Last year they released decisions today, but I've not seen anything on the acceptances page, nor have I received any news.

Thank you!

Nothing yet. Also waiting. 

Meanwhile haven't heard a peep from Duke ?

18 hours ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

So far, no acceptances or waitlist notifications. Four rejections.

On the one hand, a lot of time and effort and money may have all gone down the drain.

On other hand, admissions committees are inadvertently preventing me from committing financial suicide.

I'm in a similar spot to you– I'm bummed about it, but it's still early. A lot of this has to do with timing when it comes to a specific program. It's one thing to fit in a department, it's another to fit in with the particular faculty who are admitting students this term. I'm sure some of your rejections are due to who is receiving students this year and the lack of affinity between your proposed research and theirs. I'm bummed I didn't get into Penn State or Emory, but it sounds like they were not looking at candidates with my research interests this go round and, if I need to apply next year (ugh), I'll have a better chance next go round. I have one school that I know for a fact after having conversations with the graduate director that the time is ripe for me to get in (they just conferred three people in the same field as me and are looking to fill those spots)– now... if I don't get in there, then I will feel pretty crushed and insecure about my future. 

So much of this comes down to arbitrary timing and luck. As has been said on here a million times, the overwhelming majority of us are very qualified to do the work. So, no need to beat yourself up– worst case scenario: there is always next year.

Edited by Rhizomatic68

32 minutes ago, Rhizomatic68 said:

I'm in a similar spot to you– I'm bummed about it, but it's still early. A lot of this has to do with timing when it comes to a specific program. It's one thing to fit in a department, it's another to fit in with the particular faculty who are admitting students this term. I'm sure some of your rejections are due to who is receiving students this year and the lack of affinity between your proposed research and theirs. I'm bummed I didn't get into Penn State or Emory, but it sounds like they were not looking at candidates with my research interests this go round and, if I need to apply next year (ugh), I'll have a better chance next go round. I have one school that I know for a fact after having conversations with the graduate director that the time is ripe for me to get in (they just conferred three people in the same field as me and are looking to fill those spots)– now... if I don't get in there, then I will feel pretty crushed and insecure about my future. 

So much of this comes down to arbitrary timing and luck. As has been said on here a million times, the overwhelming majority of us are very qualified to do the work. So, no need to beat yourself up– worst case scenario: there is always next year.

I support all of this. I am in a unique position where I work in graduate admissions in an ecology and evolutionary biology department and at the same time am applying to philosophy phd programs myself. Much of what rhizomatic has stated is in fact how these admissions decisions play out. Also, I am available to chat more in the event anyone wants more insight into how these processes work. They may vary from philosophy, but might be useful to some. 

15 minutes ago, PhilBlast said:

Is not having heard from many programs yet this late in the game a good sign? I've only heard from three out of 12 so far and one was an acceptance (funding waitlist).

quite a few programs are still pending results. Also, there are some who have hidden waitlists, so there's that as well. Hang in there. 

27 minutes ago, PhilBlast said:

Is not having heard from many programs yet this late in the game a good sign? I've only heard from three out of 12 so far and one was an acceptance (funding waitlist).

not unusual. I haven't heard back from most of the programs I applied to yet, and some of them do not appear to have sent out any notices at all.