2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

23 hours ago, muggybrew said:

Are there any other University of Montana poetry acceptances out there? Did you receive a TAship or no? Trying to gauge how likely it is that I'll move off the waitlist for a TAship. Thanks y'all! 

crickets?

15 minutes ago, muggybrew said:

crickets?

I was accepted to Montana for fiction but haven't seen much for poetry on GradCafe. There is a post on Draft from someone who received a poetry offer with TA-ship – you could reach out to them if you're on FB! 

Just now, treaux said:

I was accepted to Montana for fiction but haven't seen much for poetry on GradCafe. There is a post on Draft from someone who received a poetry offer with TA-ship – you could reach out to them if you're on FB! 

Sadly I'm not on FB :( Thank you for the information though! I know it's a lot to ask, but do you know if the poster was considering any other programs?

Tell me why Alabama just sent me an email celebrating my birthday. Like, sir, you’ve rejected me MONTHS ago. 

“It takes a special person to have your courage, focus and appetite for innovation. We look forward to seeing where your passion takes you next.”

Yeah, wherever it takes me. Not to Alabama though! Laughing my ass off… this process is so unserious.

1 hour ago, muggybrew said:

crickets?

hi! i was accepted to montana for poetry on march 3rd (via email). in the email, i was told that i was on a waitlist for a TAship and that despite my strong application/wealth of teaching experience, they only had 4 TAships to give (which seemed kind of strange to me, considering how much emphasis they put on how strong my app was...like if i had a strong app, why did i not get the TAship, y'know?). 

i turned down my acceptance because i plan on saying yes to another program, though.

17 hours ago, anygivenday said:

A couple days ago, a friend currently at UCI told me that they heard there were prospective MFA students touring this week. It was sad to hear that for me, because I applied too. Without rejections out for another month, there is no way to tell for sure but I think there's not so much hope left there between this post and what I heard.

damn :( If there's no sign of notifications from UCI here or on draft by eod, I'm going to reach out to see what's good and let you guys know. 

On 3/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, anygivenday said:

Hey there! I am waiting for UCI too. The UCI site says all decisions will go out by March 25, with no known acceptances to date. A website called "Ask Ms. Sun" says past years there were acceptances sent out through the applicant portal on March 17. I have some contacts in the current grad program who say you'll get a personal call if you're accepted, but I'm not sure if that's true. Still, if you haven't received any notification by March 25th, it's probably a no. My note to myself is to try like hell to relax until the 17th. I REALLY know it's hard to wait.

Placing all hope in Ms. Sun. It's March 17. How we feeling? 

3 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

Tell me why Alabama just sent me an email celebrating my birthday. Like, sir, you’ve rejected me MONTHS ago. 

“It takes a special person to have your courage, focus and appetite for innovation. We look forward to seeing where your passion takes you next.”

Yeah, wherever it takes me. Not to Alabama though! Laughing my ass off… this process is so unserious.

i got a birthday email from them, too, but mine is in november so it didn't have the sting it does for you. i will say, no other university has sent me a birthday email, even the ones i actually attended lol. happy birthday, though!! hope it's been a good one!

Edited by belizaparker

Hey Guys,

This is probably off topic, but has anyone heard anything from University of Cincinnati or Ohio University? I am still waiting to hear back from both on PhD applications.

To those who are still waiting on MFA notifications, good luck to all! I know the process is harrowing. I'm just trying to graduate in one piece from University of New Hampshire! 💙

Applying: PhD in Creative Writing

Applied: 8

Rejected: 5

Accepted 1 University of Binghamton! 💚

Graduating: May 2023 MFA

21 hours ago, lenagator1997 said:

Hey Guys,

This is probably off topic, but has anyone heard anything from University of Cincinnati or Ohio University? I am still waiting to hear back from both on PhD applications.

To those who are still waiting on MFA notifications, good luck to all! I know the process is harrowing. I'm just trying to graduate in one piece from University of New Hampshire! 💙

Applying: PhD in Creative Writing

Applied: 8

Rejected: 5

Accepted 1 University of Binghamton! 💚

Graduating: May 2023 MFA

A PhD in creative writing! Can you speak more to that? I'm not familiar with it and thought the master was the terminal degree? (Congrats on the acceptance!!)

Hi everyone, 

I have lurked around here for a while. I am an international candidate, this was my second time applying. My first round of applications was in 2018, I had no idea how competitive this was and got rejections from all the 8 places I applied to. During the pandemic and after, I did a bunch of online workshops, worked on my manuscript and learned how to write statements of purpose and personhood :)I applied to 12 places this time around, and have one acceptance and a waitlist.

The acceptance is not a fully funded program but I have some financial aid, the waitlist is a fully funded program but it is a very small program so I don't know what my chances are. Due to familial and personal circumstances, I need to take whatever offer I get this year, but I am anxious about the money. 

I am wondering how feasible it would be to apply to fully funded programs while I am already enrolled in a program. Also I've gleaned from discussions here and on twitter that it is better to submit short stories rather than novel excerpts...is that advisable? I usually end up writing longer pieces rather than proper short stories. 

As I am considering my options and desperately hoping for the WL to work out, I am also preparing myself for another round of applications so any advice would be valuable in case you or anyone you know has moved from one program to another. 

43 minutes ago, appleenjoyer said:

Got my Boston rejection this morning :( that means I'm waiting on two waitlists -- Indiana and Oregon...not really sure what the chances are 😭😭 this is for fiction. The Boston uni rejection said mine was "the top sixty" of applicants.

Same ugh 

Does anyone have any more news about South Carolina? It's been a month now since I was waitlisted, and I want a sense of what the people who've been accepted are deciding so I can know whether to keep my hopes up. Exhausted by this process and ready to know whether I'm going to school or going to jump into the job search.

EDIT: Specifically if one of you could please peruse/ask Draft for me? I know most the accepted people seemed to be in there but I don't have a FB so I'm not in the group.

Edited by dagreenkat

10 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

Does anyone have any more news about South Carolina? It's been a month now since I was waitlisted, and I want a sense of what the people who've been accepted are deciding so I can know whether to keep my hopes up. Exhausted by this process and ready to know whether I'm going to school or going to jump into the job search.

EDIT: Specifically if one of you could please peruse/ask Draft for me? I know most the accepted people seemed to be in there but I don't have a FB so I'm not in the group.

Still the same news as before, unfortunately. I have a feeling that we won't know until closer to April 14.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:29 PM, therosewriter said:

Hey everyone! Can't believe I'm finding this forum now!!! 

I've been rejected from all my schools so far. Currently waiting on NYU, Columbia, Brown and Emerson. All for the fiction track. If anyone has updates would love to know 

Hi all, I am currently awaiting a decision from NYU (fiction). I see some posts saying they have gotten acceptances (as early as Feb), and march is almost coming to an end - just wanted to know whether this means I haven't gotten in? Any clarity will be helpful. Do they notify everyone? (It's my first year applying!)