2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

2 minutes ago, weber131 said:

Same here. My second rejection after UChicago. Neither is a good fit for me so it's kind of expected. I still got 11 programs that have no news at all. Hope we all have some good news in Feb! It's an exceptionally competitve year. It seems that most programs got more applicants and many of them are also accepting fewer students this year. 

Not sure how many more rejections I have to endure before getting a real offer. But it's Feb already I am expecting to be overwhelmed by results in the coming days. Best of the wishes to you too!

39 minutes ago, weber131 said:

Most people admitted to MAPSS could get scholarships(if not 100%…) It seems that most people get 1/3 or 1/2 tuition waived and fully waived is kind of rare (but if you are exceptional you’ll get it!). I remember there’s also a 2/3 tuition waiver but I’ve never seen one (at least among the people I knew in my cohort). 
UCLA’s tuition is lower. I remember it’s around $30k, and they also offer scholarship to most admitted students. 

They definitely do give full tuition and 2/3. I know someone who got the latter and I had ~2/3 tuition waived. I do agree with picking which program is right for you and that is entirely dependent on the applicant and their expectations etc. I loved my time there. Was it challenging? Yes. Would I do it all over again? As crazy as it sounds, yes. 

5 hours ago, RGA126 said:

Hello;

One of my LOR writers recently suggested me to look at some MA programs that is still open for application as some backup plans. I figure this is also a great distractor or a positive relieve strategy for people like me who have not heard of anything from PhD programs yet. I also want to hear your suggestions: what are some good Master programs still out there?

Yes! Consider Clemson’s MS Social Sciences. Most students are funded for 2 years, a lot of tenure track faculty publishing, and alot of methodology prep 

I’m not sure we can add linked here, but a quick google search will turn it up

24 minutes ago, Nairel said:

Hey all! does anyone have news from Brandeis or Yale soc?

Not Brandeis, but Yale interviewed 25 top applicants over the past few weeks and will be sending out results this week or next (according to someone in comments on a results post).

1 minute ago, saffasrass said:

That's amazing!!! Congratulations!! Which schools?

thank you! and the university of miami and suny albany— i applied (but am technically a re-applicant this cycle since i'm in my second semester, first year of my current phd program) as a medical sociology concentrator! both are such good fits i'm losing my mind :')

Just now, ohnoherewegoagain said:

thank you! and the university of miami and suny albany— i applied (but am technically a re-applicant this cycle since i'm in my second semester, first year of my current phd program) as a medical sociology concentrator! both are such good fits i'm losing my mind :')

That's so awesome!! I'm also a current PhD student re-applying to programs with better fits and still waiting for my first decision ?

2 hours ago, weber131 said:

I just received an email from CUNY recommending their master programs to me. Since I haven't heard about anything from them since I applied, I guess I will just take the email as some kind of bad omen. ? 

Same -.-

3 hours ago, weber131 said:

I just received an email from CUNY recommending their master programs to me. Since I haven't heard about anything from them since I applied, I guess I will just take the email as some kind of bad omen. ? 

I also got that email but did not apply there. Maybe it's not a bad omen!!

Yeah, CUNY and Yale have def had their final nail in the coffin. Pretty sure I butchered my Rutgers interview, so that just leaves NYU and Princeton for me. Pretty sure I’ll be reapplying next year lol. Already starting to lick my wounds.