Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

47 minutes ago, Riceberry said:

Just saw someone got accepted into Harvard anthropology program. Was wondering if they accept with interviews? Or is that acceptance most likely for a master program 

the one I see is PhD and International and overall I notice those move faster than US based applications.

On 1/13/2023 at 5:45 PM, AAAAAYYYYY said:

Hi people! Just saw an update on the results page--someone got an interview invitation from Michigan Ann Arbor. Has anyone else heard any good news from them yet?  

I got an interview invitation from Michigan on Friday. We were required to fill out a form indicating our availability, but I haven't heard from them since. 

48 minutes ago, Humeralhead said:

I got an interview invite by a potential PI at Northwestern via Zoom; it might be preliminary to the in person interview but he didn’t give much info.

You mean it's possible for schools to conduct both a virtual and an on-campus interview? I thought it's one or the other...

21 minutes ago, esuhi said:

You mean it's possible for schools to conduct both a virtual and an on-campus interview? I thought it's one or the other...

Well he said it should be less than 30 mins so that’s why I think it might be a preliminary thing. And it would be just the two of us.

24 minutes ago, Humeralhead said:

Well he said it should be less than 30 mins so that’s why I think it might be a preliminary thing. And it would be just the two of us.

I see! I got two interview invites and according to the emails one should be ~20 mins, the other should be ~30 mins. Hope it's just their standard operation procedure. I really don't want to go through two rounds of interview... Both of my interviews are with two of the three POIs I listed in my SoP btw. 

Anyways congratulations and good luck to both of us!!! :)

1 minute ago, esuhi said:

I see! I got two interview invites and according to the emails one should be ~20 mins, the other should be ~30 mins. Hope it's just their standard operation procedure. I really don't want to go through two rounds of interview... Both of my interviews are with two of the three POIs I listed in my SoP btw. 

Anyways congratulations and good luck to both of us!!! :)

I hope so too because I don’t wanna do more than one! His email seemed so informal about it and that’s what makes me unsure if it’s an official interview.

2 hours ago, Humeralhead said:

I got an interview invite by a potential PI at Northwestern via Zoom; it might be preliminary to the in person interview but he didn’t give much info.

Congratulations @Humeralhead!! I think, and as far as I've heard from my mentors, there's is usually only one interview. Maybe it's just a formality, or maybe they're only running informal kinds of interviews with the student and the PI. Anyway, a good step for you hope. Really wish this works well for you! I had applied to Northwestern as well. I haven't heard anything from them. I'm assuming it's a plain rejection then (?) Anyway, saw posted results from Cornell and UT Austin. Haven't heard anything from them as well. So, bad news from there too. I'm mentally preparing myself for a tough season full of rejections. Duhh..

Hey folks!

Does anyone happen to know if most anthro programs interview all possible applicants who they're considering? From my understanding, it's likely that if interviews are out and you've heard nothing then it's a soft rejection or possible waitlist - is this generally the way or are some applicants accepted without interview? Hope you're all doing okay. 

29 minutes ago, 0000020000 said:

Hey folks!

Does anyone happen to know if most anthro programs interview all possible applicants who they're considering? From my understanding, it's likely that if interviews are out and you've heard nothing then it's a soft rejection or possible waitlist - is this generally the way or are some applicants accepted without interview? Hope you're all doing okay. 

Hey. As far as I am aware, I think it means soft rejection and (rarely) possible waitlist. Sometimes, they interview a few more number of students they wish to take, and organise acceptances and the waitlist among them. At least that's what I know. Last cycle, at one of the schools I applied to, I had reached out to the DGS who had told me that I didn't make it in the first round itself, hence didn't get an interview call. So, I believe the application is treated as round one and then interviews are considered round two. Although, it might vary from school to school and you never know what's in store for you (or any of us for that matter). Some schools roll out interviews in cycles and it depends on the availability of the POI. So, I'd suggest keep your hopes high. Until you get hold of the rejection letter, consider yourself to be still in the game. :)

This is as much as I know. Others would be able to speak better on this. 

13 hours ago, Humeralhead said:

Hey, congrats! Which track have you applied to?

4 hours ago, squidink said:

I'm happy to share about my interview with Brown if you have specific questions

Thanks for offering your advice. I also have some specific questions! What type of questions were you asked? How do you suggest preparing? Anything you wish you knew going into it? Did they say anything about the process after the interview? How formal did it feel? 

Hello guys,

I just got to know about this website recently. I am super excited to be able to interract with fellow applicant. I am an international student and have applied to the following school:

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

University of South Florida

University of Utah

University of Maryland

Purdue University

Scripps Research

Northwestern University

University of North Carolina, Church Hill

Currently, I have got interview for UMich and USF. Has anyone else got info from these universities?

11 minutes ago, AglowRaph said:

Hello guys,

I just got to know about this website recently. I am super excited to be able to interract with fellow applicant. I am an international student and have applied to the following school:

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

University of South Florida

University of Utah

University of Maryland

Purdue University

Scripps Research

Northwestern University

University of North Carolina, Church Hill

Currently, I have got interview for UMich and USF. Has anyone else got info from these universities?

Congrats on your interviews! What track did you apply to? 

5 minutes ago, himy_95 said:

Congrats on your interviews! What track did you apply to? 

By track, you mean something like Fall 2023? If yes, yeah. That's it. But remember my interviews are just for UMich and USF

9 minutes ago, AglowRaph said:

By track, you mean something like Fall 2023? If yes, yeah. That's it. But remember my interviews are just for UMich and USF

By track I meant concentration, such as biological/cultural/linguistic anth...this is typically something you check or mention on the application, although every schools does it differently. 

Edited by himy_95

9 minutes ago, himy_95 said:

By track I meant concentration, such as biological/cultural/linguistic anth...this is typically something you check or mention on the application, although every schools does it differently. 

So sorry about the misunderstanding. For UMich, it's Medicinal Chemistry and for USF, it's Cancer Chemical Biology (CCB). Though, it appears that the CCB  and Cancer Biology tracks are treated equal by USF. 

24 minutes ago, AglowRaph said:

So sorry about the misunderstanding. For UMich, it's Medicinal Chemistry and for USF, it's Cancer Chemical Biology (CCB). Though, it appears that the CCB  and Cancer Biology tracks are treated equal by USF. 

Hi! I think you might be in the wrong forum, try the life sciences section of grad cafe, you might find fellow applicants there! https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/28-life-sciences/. This one is for anthropology.

Also, anyone heard back from NYU about interviews yet? I saw that last year calls went out on the 18th of Jan, and the admissions deadline was 18th Dec - this time it was Dec 1st, so I'm wondering if interviews are out already. Not seeing anything on the results page

2 hours ago, goodbunny said:

Thanks for offering your advice. I also have some specific questions! What type of questions were you asked? How do you suggest preparing? Anything you wish you knew going into it? Did they say anything about the process after the interview? How formal did it feel? 

I was asked basic questions (what research do I want to do, why Brown, specific questions about the project, questions about background info about me based on what's on my SOP or CV). So all questions you should know the answer to already. I didn't really do anything to prepare for the interview but if you feel nervous try doing a mock interview with someone beforehand. I was very nervous before my WashU Interview because that was my first one and I felt very uncertain about the process but it was straightforward so just try to relax beforehand. They give a timeline of when you can expect to hear back by at the end of the interview. Generally speaking, once you interview that's it. For example, Brown interviews approx 20 people and accepts 8-10. The interview was relatively informal but my PI was pretty chill so it could differ depending on the person. Hope this helps!

Edited by squidink

2 hours ago, goodbunny said:

Hi I just “walked” out of my Brown interview.  I posted it on the results on Sunday and forgot to update here.  For me, it went very fast they stuck to 30 min.

Questions were very specific to my trajectory.  But overall be prepared to make a case for why brown, why the department, clear goals for future, know your research, and just show up as you.  This was my first Interview.  

but do take care to develop your questions for them.  Come with six knowing you may only be able to ask three good ones.