How will you mourn?

sputnik

I had mused before that id make a video like college football players do grabbing the hat of the school I'm picking, if I got in. Now that I have a reject, I'm thinking that instead I'll just burn the shit I've got from schools that deny me. I think it'd be cathartic.

Dig a hole, crawl in, and cry myself to sleep. Alternatively, just use the back side of the rejection letters as scratch paper.

just burn the shit

Sorry, off-topic, but this totally made me envision a grad student wannabe burning dung cakes. :lol: "Self-Pity: Powered by Natural Gas"

Call my mom and cry

call my boyfriend and cry

call all of my close friends and cry

wrap myself in a blanket of alcoholic euphoria for about 1 week

cry some more

move on with my life

re-apply next year

OT, but good luck with your applications! I go to the gym with the director of the CMES... really great guy! I can highly recommend that program just because of their excellent faculty!

If I got all rejections, I might actually just let out a sigh of relief. At least its an answer to make me stop stressing. And it gives me one more year to do whatever I want before having to sell my soul to research for 5-7 years. I anticipate a lot of cupcake baking, buying clothes I don't need, and taking trips with money I don't really have. :P

If all my schools reject me I will most likely go into hysterics, march into a Target, ask for a job application, stand up on a display platform and announce something dramatic like, "these are my new people now... this is where the universe wants me to be..." I will then throw my fists in the air and scream "WHYYYYY!" until my boyfriend drags me home to soothe me with endless gin and tonics.

I have very very low expectations, so I am just expecting to get rejected around the board. My boyfriend is finishing up his graduate degree and if I get rejected, we are moving to a bigger city near his family and I will try and find a job that I don't hate. I will probably reapply next year, but to only schools in the area.

C'Mon guys! Collectively. Repeat after me.

I will be accepted. I will not mourn.

Also, nothing worse than being a Ph.D. and not being able to get a job in academia or in industry. Your overqualified to most employers.

This is something that worries me sometimes... However, doing a phd seems like so much fun!

I have a strange view of this:

I expect my undergrad's non-reputation will diminish my "worthiness" as will the fact I attended 3 schools and had GRE scores just above the cut off. I will get more rejections for the Ph.D. than acceptances- if any offers. However, if I am rejected from my top 3 choices as a Ph.D. applicant I am nearly certain they are going to counter with Master's offers and scholarships. In essence, I'm a luke warm Ph.d applicant looking for a good fit, but would be a top of the line Master's applicant given my research background.

The M.A. offers never really seemed like the end of the world to me if they came with scholarship money: 1) I get more freedom to chart my own course 2) If I find a job in industry with just an M.A. that hits enough of the Pros on my list of ideals I'd be just as happy without a Ph.D. 3) In combination with scholarship and lost earnings I'd probably be minimizing my debt with just the MA offer instead of going 5 years for the Ph.D. Let's just be real, the drop-out rates for Ph.ds are sky high. With just an MA I'd get to really make sure this level of specialization, the politics of academia and the faith in a tenure system are all part of a hand I want to play in life. If so, no worries I get the M.A. then go for the extra few years of dissertation writing without any of the guilt or uncertainty of maybe not wanting to be a professor. Also, nothing worse than being a Ph.D. and not being able to get a job in academia or in industry. Your overqualified to most employers.

So, I won't mourn because I really can't loose.

That's interesting. I think I can't entirely 100% mourn either because, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure finishing a PhD would really point me in the career direction I'd want to go in. I'm assuming it would, but as my friend put it, "if you finish a PhD near the age of 50, what are you supposed to do then?" I said that I hoped that the answer just sort of worked itself out during the program, but in reality, I don't really know. I thought the same thing when I decided to start my master's program, "it will just work itself out," and now I've finished it, but that isn't really the case. I guess if I didn't get in or funded (which is the same thing,) then I'd just take it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be, and that I need to actively pursue a new job instead.

As far as being overqualified, I'm almost finding out that I am already.

I don't know how I would going to react. This is my second go around and last year I wasn't myself for a good 2 months after my last rejection. I feel a lot better about my chances this year though - last year this time I was already anticipating all rejections. This year I think the odds are definitely in my favor.

wrap myself in a blanket of alcoholic euphoria for about 1 week

Yep, that sound about right.

Also if I get all rejections I'll take the money I have saved for graduate school and spend every last dime: travle shopping, whatever.

I'm applying to 1 program only. I'm hoping to do a dual degree. So this is it! If I don't get in, I don't know what I'll do....mostly likely drown my sorrow in a sea of beer. In fact, it'll be more like an ocean.

I've spent 20 years working in industry, so if my PhD apps get rejected, I'll take my MS and MBA and start kinkin' a$$ on building my consulting business and work on more applied research projects versus academia. I've taught as a visiting prof for the last 4 years and love the "college prof lifestyle", but if I need to go back to 60-70 hour weeks and deal with demanding clients who don't pay their bills, so be it. I might take an extended beer break first, though.

I had mused before that id make a video like college football players do grabbing the hat of the school I'm picking, if I got in. Now that I have a reject, I'm thinking that instead I'll just burn the shit I've got from schools that deny me. I think it'd be cathartic.

I burn every rejection letter to release the evil spirits...however, it doesn't seem to work.

If we're talking true mourning here, then I will probably take a day off, sleep in, cry, sleep some more, eat some chocolate, cry, sleep, and when I'm all cried out I will buy a new outfit that will cost way too much money. Life goes on.