ix.pentacles Posted April 3 Posted April 3 On 3/31/2026 at 10:48 AM, jobahza said: Same here. I looked UIC up on here and I've seen others just never hearing from them either way. I may reach out though and see what's up I've also had complete crickets from UIC!
kindacoolartguy Posted April 3 Posted April 3 On 3/13/2026 at 10:21 AM, Emolibra97 said: Did you do an interview with them? Someone here who interviewed said they were sending out decision that same week but this was weeks ago. I was just now waitlisted LMAO
Emolibra97 Posted April 3 Posted April 3 12 minutes ago, kindacoolartguy said: I was just now waitlisted LMAO oh wow congrats! That's great. I got rejected, but I understand since I am pretty medium focused. Even if you don't get in this year you have a pretty great shot the next one!
kindacoolartguy Posted April 3 Posted April 3 1 minute ago, Emolibra97 said: oh wow congrats! That's great. I got rejected, but I understand since I am pretty medium focused. Even if you don't get in this year you have a pretty great shot the next one! Crazy thing is I was told it was a no, informally, so I assume people aren't jumping on board, hopefully a spot opens up haha Did you try anywhere else?
Emolibra97 Posted April 3 Posted April 3 6 minutes ago, kindacoolartguy said: Crazy thing is I was told it was a no, informally, so I assume people aren't jumping on board, hopefully a spot opens up haha Did you try anywhere else? That's crazy given that it's a great program and fully funded. I guess people just found better options. Yes I applied to 7 UCB,UCLA, UO, Stanford, Yale, UCI, UChicago. Rejected from all but U of Oregon. They sent out their rejections on the 18th and my interview went great so there's a good chance I'm in. Should be hearing back anytime now.
kindacoolartguy Posted April 3 Posted April 3 6 minutes ago, Emolibra97 said: That's crazy given that it's a great program and fully funded. I guess people just found better options. Yes I applied to 7 UCB,UCLA, UO, Stanford, Yale, UCI, UChicago. Rejected from all but U of Oregon. They sent out their rejections on the 18th and my interview went great so there's a good chance I'm in. Should be hearing back anytime now. Bay area is expensive so assume people don't want to make the move! and good luck! Emolibra97 1
Cclaura Posted April 3 Posted April 3 UO is pausing their MFA program for next year. 😭 I’m so sad. I really didn’t want to move, but I’m looking forward to going to Arizona! ix.pentacles 1
orangeorangecake Posted April 4 Posted April 4 just check in again has anyone received response from NYU? I can’t reply to the other schools until I hear back from them
artschoolfrenzy Posted April 4 Posted April 4 would it be crazy to ask for more time from schools to decide?
arthurrussell Posted April 5 Posted April 5 I just committed to a program and am finally done with this app cycle! Posting on here useful information for future applicants (especially internationals!) as GradCafe became such a great resource for me throughout this application process. I posted a table from GDocs, but GradCafe made it bold and I can't unbold some of the text for some reason... I applied mostly to interdisciplinary programs that offered full financial support packages (with living stipends), and programs that offered a fee waiver (as application fees get hefty as fuck and internationals are usually ineligible for fee waivers!). If any of you have questions about a specific program/offer, I'd be happy to answer as much as I can. A little bit about me: -did Computer Science in college (but went to a liberal arts school, so I was able to take so many art classes). -graduated in January 2025 and have been doing art/documentary/tech/sculpture projects independently in my home country -Has no big exhibition experiences/art internships, but have really developed a strong, independent body of work with a lot of community engagement. Going into this application cycle I was extremely worried I didn't have a BFA or a strong academic/formal background in art, and that I didn't have any formal exhibition experiences, but my art profs told me the portfolio's the most important thing. I had about 7 projects I included in my portfolio, with photographs of installations/public exhibitions I had, and also video footages for more interactive/media-based installations... Program Fee Waiver? Financial Support Timeline Ohio State University 90$ Tuition + 23K TAship for three years Deadline: Nov 31/Dec 31 Interviewed: 1st week of January Accepted: 3rd week of January UC Santa Barbara 135$ + 10$ Slideroom Tuition + 37K stipend for two years; Can get Chancellor Fellowship (I got one that gives 32K stipend first year without TAing, and 5K for the summer, and a regular TAship the 2nd year) Deadline: Jan 4 Interviewed: Jan 27 Accepted: Feb 3 informal, feb 15 Formal; Fellowship letter March 3 UC San Diego 135$ Tuition + 37K TAship first year; Second year not guaranteed Deadline: Jan 7 Interviewed: Feb 13 Accepted: Feb 21 UMich STAMPS Fee Waived (They have a form for this) Tuition + around 14K stipend for two years; 4500 grant for like an international summer program thingy; Deadline: Jan 3 Interviewed: Feb 9 Accepted: Feb 28 Boston University Fee Waived (Just email program coordinator) 50% Tuition Merit Scholarship Deadline: Jan 19 Interviewed: Feb 13 Accepted: Feb 21 WashU in St. Louis Fee Waived before December 15; 40$ after that Offers financial aid; gave me a guaranteed 50% tuition + TAship 2K per sem; 2 generous fellowships u can apply for; they nominated me for a fellowship (29K stipend per year) but still waiting to hear back about it Deadline: Jan 10 Interviewed: Feb 7 Accepted: Feb 29 Stanford University 125$ + 10$ slideroom Tuition + 44K TAship for 2 years Deadline: Dec 1 Interviewed (initial): Jan 24, notified Jan 30. Final interview: Feb 26 Accepted: March 14 informal/March 24 formal letter CMU Fee Waiver (email someone) Tuition Deadline: Jan 15 Rejected: Feb 28 Northwestern 90$ Tuition + 45K stipend for 2 years Deadline: Jan 6 Rejected: Feb 6 University of Arkansas No Fee Tuition + 16K stipend (not sure) Deadline: Jan 15 Rejected: N/A; They ghosted me, I have not heard anything at all since I applied Other schools that may have full funding packages/fee waivers that are worth checking out: Kent State, UC Santa Cruz, UC Irvine, UT Austin, UTK, LSU, Notre Dame, Alfred U, Tulane, UNC Chappel Hill, UMissouri, UNLV, Ole Miss. I also just did a lot of boolean searching on Google and on forums; like searching ("MFA" AND "Art" AND "stipend") or some other combination.
ix.pentacles Posted April 5 Posted April 5 On 4/3/2026 at 3:59 PM, Cclaura said: UO is pausing their MFA program for next year. 😭 I’m so sad. I really didn’t want to move, but I’m looking forward to going to Arizona! I knowwww, such a sad thing! It sucks so bad—arts funding is in a really bad place rn. In the letter, they said that changes in federal funding (i.e. the "big beautiful bill") are at the root of this decision. A reminder to us all that the toxic fingers of fascism spread everywhere. Down with the empire. SocialKonstruct and Cclaura 2
ix.pentacles Posted April 5 Posted April 5 I decided to accept a position in University of Washington's painting and drawing and printmaking program! Anyone else going there, message me! I'm freeing up spots for CalArts, SAIC, and USC. Best of luck to whoever ends up taking them—each of the programs are so great in different ways. I also want to just say that the people I've met through this process have been stellar: y'all are kind, thoughtful, intelligent, curious folks, and I'm grateful to be in community (even anonymously through a forum). Good luck to everyone! ❤️ Cclaura, brooklyn818 and Headlessowl 1 2
marxista Posted April 6 Posted April 6 (edited) One conclusion from this round is that most “prestigious” schools—Columbia, Bard, NYU, SAIC, UPenn, SVA, CalArts, Tyler, Cranbrook, etc have huuuuge turnovers and accept almost all of their waitlists. Hope someone in the future isn’t lured to pay 50k+ for a degree only for its apparent prestige and only does so if it is materially viable and a good fit. Peace out! Edit: I am going to Hunter! Edited April 6 by marxista brooklyn818 1
RevolutionNowandForever Posted April 6 Posted April 6 I am releasing admission spots at Pratt, WashU and MICA Hoffberger, so good luck to anyone hoping to get in to those programs.
orangeorangecake Posted April 6 Posted April 6 Does anyone got into NYU Steinhardt? Why is everyone on the waitlist?🫠
jobahza Posted April 6 Posted April 6 On 4/3/2026 at 3:59 PM, Cclaura said: UO is pausing their MFA program for next year. 😭 I’m so sad. I really didn’t want to move, but I’m looking forward to going to Arizona! Tucson is a cool town! Hope you enjoy it! Cclaura 1
ix.pentacles Posted April 6 Posted April 6 14 hours ago, kindacoolartguy said: SOMEONE RELEASE A SPOT AT BERKELEY LMAO 😭 I took myself off the waitlist! Rooting for you! kindacoolartguy 1
kindacoolartguy Posted April 6 Posted April 6 36 minutes ago, ix.pentacles said: I took myself off the waitlist! Rooting for you! 🫡🫡🫡🫡
artschoolfrenzy Posted April 6 Posted April 6 18 hours ago, RevolutionNowandForever said: I am releasing admission spots at Pratt, WashU and MICA Hoffberger, so good luck to anyone hoping to get in to those programs. where did you decide to go? congrats! I am plagued by indecision, anyone else??
orangeorangecake Posted April 6 Posted April 6 40 minutes ago, artschoolfrenzy said: where did you decide to go? congrats! I am plagued by indecision, anyone else?? I don't want to go any of the schools that accepted me. But I can't guarantee that reapplying will lead to better results. Right now, I'm debating whether I should just go to one of them.
Emolibra97 Posted April 6 Posted April 6 (edited) On 4/3/2026 at 3:59 PM, Cclaura said: UO is pausing their MFA program for next year. 😭 I’m so sad. I really didn’t want to move, but I’m looking forward to going to Arizona! I got the letter too!!! 🥲 I kinda feel good having another year to focus and try again. During this cycle I kept thinking, what if I had another year to work. Now that I am forced to try again, I feel so motivated and will try my hardest now. Also, UO's letter seemed like an informal acceptance and if I apply again next year it looks like it's almost a yes that I would be admitted so there is that option still there. I learned a lot on my first application cycle and now I can better approach it on the next! ps: lowk the next application cycle will be coming in so fast 7-8 months go by flying and I need to get to work!!! Edited April 6 by Emolibra97
RevolutionNowandForever Posted April 6 Posted April 6 56 minutes ago, artschoolfrenzy said: where did you decide to go? congrats! I am plagued by indecision, anyone else?? I am going to VCU, which offered me a full tuition waiver plus a stipend of $12,000 a year. I will only have to TA 12-15 hours a week, not 20 like some schools. Besides the appeal of full funding, they were the school where I felt a real connection with the faculty who interviewed me. In the second year, I will be an Instructor of Record for a class each semester. That should be interesting. artschoolfrenzy 1
Tippytiger Posted April 7 Posted April 7 5 hours ago, ix.pentacles said: I took myself off the waitlist! Rooting for you! Now someone do Rutgers 🤩
goodboycerberus Posted April 7 Posted April 7 3 hours ago, orangeorangecake said: I don't want to go any of the schools that accepted me. But I can't guarantee that reapplying will lead to better results. Right now, I'm debating whether I should just go to one of them. tbh, given how you’ve talked on the forum and other places online, it might be for the best that you reapply! L4mp 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now