jobahza Posted February 10 Posted February 10 Just got my notifcation that I'm waitlisted at Minnesota. Thats 2 waitlists, 2 rejections, and still waiting to hear from 4 other schools. Damn. Wanted to be accepted.
noplace Posted February 10 Posted February 10 5 hours ago, Killua said: Has anyone heard back from Columbia or UCLA (Sculpture)? It’s been really quiet on my end and I’m starting to get nervous… The waiting is honestly so stressful I can’t even plan anything or focus on work.... Yes. I recived an interview request last Thursday, feb 5 from columbia, and hunter college feb 3. (Just in case others are wondering about hunter)
orangeorangecake Posted February 10 Posted February 10 I didn't receive any things from research universities. Only an interview invitation from the CalArts. After talking to several industry insiders, they say it has a “reputation,” but it's not worth it—tuition costs rival Ivy League schools. The location is terrible, deep in the mountains. Unless you get into program like animation, I should probably give up on it. I don't even want to go to the interview.
marxista Posted February 10 Posted February 10 7 minutes ago, orangeorangecake said: I didn't receive any things from research universities. Only an interview invitation from the CalArts. After talking to several industry insiders, they say it has a “reputation,” but it's not worth it—tuition costs rival Ivy League schools. The location is terrible, deep in the mountains. Unless you get into program like animation, I should probably give up on it. I don't even want to go to the interview. Calarts is well known… for being a rich kids’ school. Loosing its impetus pretty rapidly in the last 3-5 years. People argue film/video and animation dpts are good but they just are well connected, and people that go have rich parents or a hefty scholarship from their home countries (because they give a laughable amount). I was accepted to f/v last year and ended up not going bc the interview day was a joke SocialKonstruct 1
Killua Posted February 10 Posted February 10 29 minutes ago, noplace said: Yes. I recived an interview request last Thursday, feb 5 from columbia, and hunter college feb 3. (Just in case others are wondering about hunter) Congrats!!! May I ask when your Columbia interview is? I just want to let go of hope and focus on my other options.
orangeorangecake Posted February 10 Posted February 10 30 minutes ago, marxista said: Calarts is well known… for being a rich kids’ school. Loosing its impetus pretty rapidly in the last 3-5 years. People argue film/video and animation dpts are good but they just are well connected, and people that go have rich parents or a hefty scholarship from their home countries (because they give a laughable amount). I was accepted to f/v last year and ended up not going bc the interview day was a joke Yeah,i can imagine, you have to admit its location is perfect for rich kids to test drive their Lamborghinis. I'm in LA too, and their local reputation relies too heavily on Disney animations and the art school's historical legacy. I've also got Goldsmiths, University of London—same story. They're a worse version of CalArts. Historically run by Marxists, now dominated by rich international students. I'm desperate. I have nowhere to go now. SocialKonstruct 1
noplace Posted February 10 Posted February 10 39 minutes ago, Killua said: Congrats!!! May I ask when your Columbia interview is? I just want to let go of hope and focus on my other options. thank you! interview is on feb 27th in person. and I feel for you, 3 years ago i was rejected from columbia (as well as my other 3 schools) and I held out hope waaaaaay too long. Columbia for sure interviews all finalists (for visual and sound art) and wait list is pulled from those who intertviewed. I say that bc i held out hope waay too long thinking with no interview maybe i was waitlist.
SocialKonstruct Posted February 10 Posted February 10 To give an example of when MFA acceptances tend to arrive, I didn't get my notification until March 18th. The email I got then was as follows: dear -----------, I am writing to congratulate you on your recent acceptance to the Grad Art program at Art Center. The faculty (all of the core faculty) spent a great deal of time reviewing and discussing applications over the last two months, and we were particularly impressed by your portfolio, essays and interview. I am reaching out to you to offer you the opportunity to ask me any questions you want to about the program, should you have them. So please feel free to ask me anything. I can also connect you to other people -- faculty, current students, alumni in certain cases -- should your questions point in that direction. Finally, I would encourage you to come visit the program, if that's possible. Some combination of a theories ("crit") class, academic class, and/or grad seminar will give you a lot of detail about just how things work here. Upcoming guests in the grad seminar include ---------, ------------, ------------.... Above all, I just wanted to write to say I am here if you need anything. This is really the moment when the ball is in your court. You were at the very top of our list of applicants (if I may say so), and we want to make sure you have everything you need from us to make a decision. All best, -------------------------
TwhowantsanMFA Posted February 10 Posted February 10 Got an interview for Illinois (UIUC), which I swear I heard in past years on this thread doesn't do interviews. Apparently that's changed!
person41925 Posted February 11 Posted February 11 (edited) Hi! I applied to UC Berkeley, UT Austin, UCI, UCLA, and Tulane. Got interviews with Berkeley and UT so far... was wondering if anyone has heard back from Berkeley (or any other schools on this list), as I interviewed almost four weeks ago for Berkeley and haven't heard back since. I haven't seen anyone saying anything about acceptance or rejection for Berkeley so was also curious if acceptances/denials are released at the same time. It is my first application cycle so I am not exactly sure how/when everything comes out and am a bit stressed. Edited February 11 by person41925
Foehn Posted February 11 Posted February 11 Some hope for those anxiously waiting to hear back after interviews. Last week one or two people reported they were accepted into UC Davis. I'd interviewed but heard nothing so I assumed I wasn't accepted. Today I received an acceptance from Davis! Super stoked. Also got an interview at VCU well after when I thought they were finished sending invites. It's not over till it's over! SocialKonstruct, ceramics233, sillypersimmon.21 and 4 others 4 3
courierstrocked Posted February 11 Posted February 11 (edited) does anyone know roughly how many people make it to columbia interviews for each discipline? Edited February 11 by courierstrocked smallfood 1
Jim VK Posted February 11 Posted February 11 7 hours ago, Foehn said: Some hope for those anxiously waiting to hear back after interviews. Last week one or two people reported they were accepted into UC Davis. I'd interviewed but heard nothing so I assumed I wasn't accepted. Today I received an acceptance from Davis! Super stoked. Also got an interview at VCU well after when I thought they were finished sending invites. It's not over till it's over! That's what we're seeing too. So many programs don't reply until late February. And for anyone asking about application status, please remember to submit your results when you hear back: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/new/ That's what updates The GradCafe, so you can see the admission results as they come in. dizzies and sillypersimmon.21 2
Emolibra97 Posted February 11 Posted February 11 8 hours ago, Foehn said: Some hope for those anxiously waiting to hear back after interviews. Last week one or two people reported they were accepted into UC Davis. I'd interviewed but heard nothing so I assumed I wasn't accepted. Today I received an acceptance from Davis! Super stoked. Also got an interview at VCU well after when I thought they were finished sending invites. It's not over till it's over! That’s great to know Ty! Have you heard anything from UCI? artschoolfrenzy 1
kittykitty Posted February 11 Posted February 11 8 hours ago, Foehn said: Some hope for those anxiously waiting to hear back after interviews. Last week one or two people reported they were accepted into UC Davis. I'd interviewed but heard nothing so I assumed I wasn't accepted. Today I received an acceptance from Davis! Super stoked. Also got an interview at VCU well after when I thought they were finished sending invites. It's not over till it's over! did you receive an interview invite from VCU today? Or rather this week? When i was completing my application a specific faculty member reached out to me personally about my application but since submitting i haven’t heard anything.
mfadoom Posted February 11 Posted February 11 I got an interview request for Goldsmiths MFA Fine Arts last Friday! jobahza, Jim VK and orangeorangecake 3
jobahza Posted February 11 Posted February 11 Anyone else here apply to University of Arizona and UIC (University of Illinois Chicago)?
orangeorangecake Posted February 11 Posted February 11 18 minutes ago, mfadoom said: I got an interview request for Goldsmiths MFA Fine Arts last Friday! Congratulations! I got it too! But I'm worried it might be like many MFA programs in the UK—purely for profit...
tooold4artschool Posted February 11 Posted February 11 Just received email notice that SVA closed its Art Practice MFA program "due to low enrollment."
TwhowantsanMFA Posted February 11 Posted February 11 13 hours ago, person41925 said: Hi! I applied to UC Berkeley, UT Austin, UCI, UCLA, and Tulane. Got interviews with Berkeley and UT so far... was wondering if anyone has heard back from Berkeley (or any other schools on this list), as I interviewed almost four weeks ago for Berkeley and haven't heard back since. I haven't seen anyone saying anything about acceptance or rejection for Berkeley so was also curious if acceptances/denials are released at the same time. It is my first application cycle so I am not exactly sure how/when everything comes out and am a bit stressed. I also interviewed at Berkeley and have heard nothing. In the info session, they said if you don't get in, you basically get the form letter in the portal in April. I thought maybe those who interviewed would get a no sooner, but looks like not. FWIW, I applied last year, too, and didn't get an interview, and the form letter in the portal in April is the only official news I got, though I suspected as much when I hadn't gotten an interview by mid-February.
TwhowantsanMFA Posted February 11 Posted February 11 11 hours ago, Foehn said: Some hope for those anxiously waiting to hear back after interviews. Last week one or two people reported they were accepted into UC Davis. I'd interviewed but heard nothing so I assumed I wasn't accepted. Today I received an acceptance from Davis! Super stoked. Also got an interview at VCU well after when I thought they were finished sending invites. It's not over till it's over! That's so awesome! Congrats! We might be cohort mates. 😊 If you end up getting other offers and are trying to figure out how to decide, feel free to DM me. I've got one set of finalist interviews coming up at UCSB that would be my only other application that could give me pause about accepting the Davis offer, and while that's not an offer at this point, I'm trying to think ahead about how I'd decide if I got in there, too. Hopefully see you at the in-person visit day at Davis. I think the in-person vibes will be really important to the decision.
Florhar Posted February 11 Posted February 11 On 2/10/2026 at 9:48 AM, orangeorangecake said: Did you get any response from NYU? I called them, and the person who answered said she didn't know—probably a student worker. I just received an email from them about a financial aid meeting. Haven’t yet I have gotten my interviews for Parsons and Pratt for photography.
Foehn Posted February 11 Posted February 11 5 hours ago, Emolibra97 said: That’s great to know Ty! Have you heard anything from UCI? Still nothing from UCI.
Foehn Posted February 11 Posted February 11 5 hours ago, kittykitty said: did you receive an interview invite from VCU today? Or rather this week? When i was completing my application a specific faculty member reached out to me personally about my application but since submitting i haven’t heard anything. A faculty/department head emailed me about an interview yesterday (Feb 10). Jim VK 1
orangeorangecake Posted February 11 Posted February 11 50 minutes ago, Florhar said: Haven’t yet I have gotten my interviews for Parsons and Pratt for photography. Congratulations! I just received invitation from NYU, but I won't be able to attend in person and will have to apply for online instead. Jim VK 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now