Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 minute ago, cocoice98 said:

I am so desperate to know where miffy & mtown are gonna land! Between them there are like 20 CNF seats that will open up once they choose. 

I noticed too! They’re both killing it and appear to be applying to a lot of programs, so could be 40 seats by the end! 

Posted

 

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

What the hell is wrong with you? You have five spots left and you're sitting on 2 waitlists! bucket up buttercup! You're already ahead of where most people will end up. 

unironically setting this as my lock screen thank you

Posted
3 hours ago, Scribe said:

I was accepted off the waitlist at NWP. As I recall, it took a few weeks, but I'm really not sure. The point is, it happens. 
As far as the decision, you need to to do right by you. Take your time. It's good of you to want to open up space/put people out of their misery, BUT you never know what you'll find out once you are accepted somewhere. Plus - and this is key - once you have an offer, you know what questions to ask another place before you accept. And of course, you may have new questions for your first offer. 
What's in the brackets are your thoughts, not necessarily things you want to put into your queries:

[I've received an offer from a school that guarantees housing,] Do you guarantee housing?
[I've received an offer from a school that provides travel stipends,] Are there opportunities to attend conferences and participate in off campus events?
[I've received an offer from a school that has very strict residency requirements,] How strict are your residency requirements?

etc.

Thanks for this. Yeah I intend to wait a bit and may go visit the school I got into in the meantime. Mostly wanna just like settle and get all the life shit going in terms of moving, getting in contact with cohort, buying a car etc but i really should wait and see. I just didnt get the Michener email telling me all the acceptances were confirmed and the waitlist was closed until April 14 last year and i really dont wanna wait until the last day to start getting the ball rolling. But i will definitely wait a bit and think of questions. Still waiting on a few other programs too

Posted
On 1/27/2026 at 5:01 PM, HalBear said:

Hello all,

There are two lovely applicants I've been communicating with on facebook who cannot figure out how to access replying and posting on this forum. I've tried to help them but I don't know much about Gradcafe's system. They have accounts but just don't seem to be able to contribute to this forum? They don't even have access to the "Quote" button or the "reply to this topic" button. They've logged in and out again, finished setting up their accounts, and still don't have access.. Anyone here figure out how to get over this hump :)

i was one of these lurkers who simply could not figure out how to get gradcafe to work for me. i read every. single. post. and have just been locked out of adding to the discussion. today, i shit you not, my cat walked on my keyboard in such a way that the inspect code thingy (i am so tech illiterate i have to ask my lovely fiancée the software engineer a million computer questions a day) opened. i closed it and somehow... i can now comment! divine intervention through my cat (living up to her namesake hildegard von bingen).

anyway... solidarity to posters and lurkers alike! 0a/0w/3r/3p and feeling.. not great! but i also feel very connected to everyone going through this frustrating process with hope in our hearts.

Posted

I genuinely don't think I'm going to get even a single waitlist. Like, not to be that person that just complains, but there are only like two more schools that I haven't heard from yet that haven't already sent out waitlists. Idk, just feels embarrassing to be rejected from 15 different programs. And like, I know getting rejected doesn't mean I'm a bad writer, but getting rejected from FIFTEEN programs has got to mean something.

Posted
24 minutes ago, ocurlyfries said:

I genuinely don't think I'm going to get even a single waitlist. Like, not to be that person that just complains, but there are only like two more schools that I haven't heard from yet that haven't already sent out waitlists. Idk, just feels embarrassing to be rejected from 15 different programs. And like, I know getting rejected doesn't mean I'm a bad writer, but getting rejected from FIFTEEN programs has got to mean something.

Fifteen here as well. Same boat. Solidarity.

Posted
39 minutes ago, ocurlyfries said:

I genuinely don't think I'm going to get even a single waitlist. Like, not to be that person that just complains, but there are only like two more schools that I haven't heard from yet that haven't already sent out waitlists. Idk, just feels embarrassing to be rejected from 15 different programs. And like, I know getting rejected doesn't mean I'm a bad writer, but getting rejected from FIFTEEN programs has got to mean something.

it does. It means you got rejected from 15 programs. It also means you dodged 15 bullets. Try again. maybe next year, maybe another year. do the work. Don't dedicate yourself to being "successful" or even a good writer; dedicate yourself to writing better. no. no, to better writing.

 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ocurlyfries said:

I genuinely don't think I'm going to get even a single waitlist. Like, not to be that person that just complains, but there are only like two more schools that I haven't heard from yet that haven't already sent out waitlists. Idk, just feels embarrassing to be rejected from 15 different programs. And like, I know getting rejected doesn't mean I'm a bad writer, but getting rejected from FIFTEEN programs has got to mean something.

I really think that aside from the outliers who are not yet writing at MFA level by most standards and the standout applicants who get several offers from top places, it’s often a crapshoot. One thing that proves this for me is that you’ll often see people get waitlisted at a school like Iowa or michigan or Johns Hopkins, only to get rejected the following year. They probably didn’t become worse writers— it just wasn’t their time. 
 

Last year, I applied to 15 schools. I did end up with 2 acceptances and 1 waitlist that became an acceptance, but they were all to only partially funded programs. If I hadn’t applied to those partially funded programs it would have been all rejections! This year, I have two fully funded offers, and one interview that could turn into a fully funded offer! I still haven’t gotten into any of the top most prestigious programs, but that’s ok— fully funded is fully funded! Keep trying!!

Edited by Jitterbug98
Posted
1 hour ago, Jitterbug98 said:

I really think that aside from the outliers who are not yet writing at MFA level by most standards and the standout applicants who get several offers from top places, it’s often a crapshoot. One thing that proves this for me is that you’ll often see people get waitlisted at a school like Iowa or michigan or Johns Hopkins, only to get rejected the following year. They probably didn’t become worse writers— it just wasn’t their time. 
 

Last year, I applied to 15 schools. I did end up with 2 acceptances and 1 waitlist that became an acceptance, but they were all to only partially funded programs. If I hadn’t applied to those partially funded programs it would have been all rejections! This year, I have two fully funded offers, and one interview that could turn into a fully funded offer! I still haven’t gotten into any of the top most prestigious programs, but that’s ok— fully funded is fully funded! Keep trying!!

Fully funded IS prestigious. The competition is fierce. Pure and simple. 

Posted

Yes, I definitely am crazy but I just submitted my Calarts MFA creative writing application tonight and just need 2 letters of rec... Hmmm maybe this is the golden touch? That means USC, Antioch, and Calarts for me left.

Posted
4 minutes ago, impatientjoy said:

Who are folks still waiting to hear from / hoping to hear from this week? Hoping to hear some news from NC State, Montana, & Idaho soon!

I'm also hoping to hear from NC State soon! And also UVA, Brown, and UNLV (though there's no data in the draft on UNLV poetry responses from previous years, so I'm not sure when to expect news :) ). Best of luck to you!

Posted
28 minutes ago, impatientjoy said:

Who are folks still waiting to hear from / hoping to hear from this week? Hoping to hear some news from NC State, Montana, & Idaho soon!

Also hoping Idaho! UNCG, South Carolina, Arkansas, Arizona, and McNeese State, too. Best of luck! 

Posted
11 hours ago, ocurlyfries said:

I genuinely don't think I'm going to get even a single waitlist. Like, not to be that person that just complains, but there are only like two more schools that I haven't heard from yet that haven't already sent out waitlists. Idk, just feels embarrassing to be rejected from 15 different programs. And like, I know getting rejected doesn't mean I'm a bad writer, but getting rejected from FIFTEEN programs has got to mean something.

you dont even wanna know how many rejections i've gotten in three years... i was seriously down. this year has been a handful of good responses for me, but I was in the same boat for the first two years. if you think about it... 15 rejections, we're talking probably 3-8 spots each, but also 300-1000 apps each. on the LOWEST end, that's like a 2% acceptance rate (math?). AND you're still in college. your app is already less likely to be chosen. Odds are stacked against you. Try again next year and you could get 15 positive responses. Just don't let it get you down.

One more year to focus solely on your work rather than college, build a stronger portfolio, grow that CV. You'll get in.

Posted
15 minutes ago, asm0deus said:

you dont even wanna know how many rejections i've gotten in three years... i was seriously down. this year has been a handful of good responses for me, but I was in the same boat for the first two years. if you think about it... 15 rejections, we're talking probably 3-8 spots each, but also 300-1000 apps each. on the LOWEST end, that's like a 2% acceptance rate (math?). AND you're still in college. your app is already less likely to be chosen. Odds are stacked against you. Try again next year and you could get 15 positive responses. Just don't let it get you down.

One more year to focus solely on your work rather than college, build a stronger portfolio, grow that CV. You'll get in.

☹️🫶 Thank you sm :(((((

Posted

My CCNY status has changed from awaiting decision to awaiting confirmation. Hopefully the decision comes soon, all this waiting is rough!!

Posted

question while we wait in bated breath for this week's woes:

does anyone have any recommendations for first residencies to apply to? i've never thought about attending one, but going through this process is opening my eyes to the value of non-mfa opportunities for writing development and i'd be curious if folks have any thoughts or recommendations about where to start!

Posted (edited)

The waiting is really starting to get to me. It is beginning to feel a little agonizing. Waiting to find out funding info for my one acceptance (only half the class gets TAships), waiting to find out if I get off either of my "short and selective waitlists," waiting to see if my interview converts into an offer, waiting to see if I got into my last school—so much waiting! And I am incredibly grateful and proud and honored that I've gotten any traction on my first-cycle as a non-english major who's been working in tech the last four years, but damn. I really thought by early March I'd have a better idea where I stood. 

Edited by gafoo
typos

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use