SolarFan Posted March 5 Posted March 5 On 3/3/2026 at 5:56 PM, mazzykitty said: any poets heard from iowa or uva on poetry yet? i see two for each school on draft, but not sure what the general timeline is for calls, then waitlists, then rejection. i hope everyone is taking care ❤️ Sorry - I've been trying to reply to this since yesterday but the site wouldn't let me comment! I got an acceptance call last week from Iowa. It seemed like I was one of the first but I have no idea how things stand now. mazzykitty 1
junebugboy Posted March 5 Posted March 5 (edited) 3 hours ago, meanwhile said: thank you!! based on this, it’s looking like all rejects for me this year anyone else anticipate or know for sure they’ll be here same time next year? i’m really struggling to find the motivation atm to think about trying again. Yes it's looking like I'll get all rejections as well so I'll see you here again next year! I'm excited to reapply, honestly. I'll have a lot more time to consider what places I think I'd truly be happy, and I'm excited to read more work from potential faculty I'll work with. Something that is really helping to motivate me is having a project -- I'm working on a poetry chapbook right now, and it's been really motivating me to write! I think it's important to have something tangible to work towards. I've also challenged myself to get 100 rejections from magazines and I applied to a few residencies and workshops! Edited March 5 by junebugboy Didn't like how my tone came across lol lisichka, BowelMovement and meanwhile 3
runlolarun Posted March 5 Posted March 5 21 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said: We are starting to see the USC Ph.D. results for fiction stream in this week. Since I am CNF, no clue when they will get to those but presumably later on this month. Any mention of poetry? Do you know how many of each genre they take?
gradschoolpspspsps Posted March 5 Posted March 5 On 3/3/2026 at 7:40 PM, impatientjoy said: Curious for those considering options, how much weight are you giving your initial interactions? I’m having wildly different experiences with professors after being accepted or waitlisted, and I feel a little like some schools aren’t actually that invested. Hello! I forgot about this forum after getting into my program last year, but was reminded of it when the head of my program started asking us to get in contact with accepted students to answer questions. very exciting and congrats to all! I just wanted to say, this was a major reason I picked my program last year! I feel like a lot of my application process was confusion and lack of communication from these schools which, especially when on the waitlist, made me feel like just a number. I ended up accepting my position before waiting to see about my other waitlists because of how responsive, communicative, and welcoming I found them to be throughout the process. I think that's continued since being here. But yeah, my first impression influenced me for sure and I don't really regret that. runlolarun and impatientjoy 2
SocialKonstruct Posted March 5 Posted March 5 3 hours ago, runlolarun said: Any mention of poetry? Do you know how many of each genre they take? For USC Ph.D. track it will be 3 folks per genre. CNF, poetry, and fiction. 9 total. runlolarun 1
bioluminescent sloth Posted March 5 Posted March 5 How likely is it that we'll hear back during AWP? Also, I'd love to hear the ways you all are trying to keep calm. I've turned to poetry translation bc it requires such intense focus, my brain doesn't have room to obsess over MFA responses. lol chapelperilous and meanwhile 2
slothgirl Posted March 5 Posted March 5 Hi everyone! We hear it all the time: don’t pay for an MFA program. I know a big reason for this because there’s sometimes a hierarchy for those who did receive full funding. However, does this still hold true in a private program where no one has received a large funding package like Sarah Lawrence? I need to be near New York but really want to do my MFA and am interested in Sarah Lawrence’s speculative fiction program… any thoughts/words of encouragement (or discouragement) are so appreciated❤️
impatientjoy Posted March 5 Posted March 5 Do yall think NC state has only notified fiction acceptances/waitlists and are still deciding on poetry? Or are the poets they accepted just not on draft?? It seems odd to me that we wouldn’t see anything for NC state poetry
bioluminescent sloth Posted March 5 Posted March 5 7 minutes ago, impatientjoy said: Do yall think NC state has only notified fiction acceptances/waitlists and are still deciding on poetry? Or are the poets they accepted just not on draft?? It seems odd to me that we wouldn’t see anything for NC state poetry It could be wishful thinking because I also applied for poetry and haven't heard anything, but I think they've only notified fiction applicants so far because I feel like we would have seen at least one entry. Fingers crossed! lisichka and morbs 2
precociousreader Posted March 5 Posted March 5 (edited) fellow playwrights! who all are y'all waiting on? i just got waitlisted at UT and brown, but im still waiting to hear at all from three programs (yale, carnegie mellon, and columbia). i figure yale is a rejection cause i didn't get an interview request, but a confirmation would be nice! has anyone heard of people getting in to that program without an interview? CM and columbia are toss up's though. i'd love to hear where y'all are at, i feel like there's no consistency in our programs results lol Edited March 5 by precociousreader
Ever hopeful Posted March 5 Posted March 5 Has anyone heard from UMass Boston? Seems a bit late based on previous years.
bucket Posted March 5 Posted March 5 brown poetry on draft….. not terrifying at all!!! i expect fiction might be tomorrow or in the next three days (based on past years’ draft data). EEK Ever hopeful 1
ojo534 Posted March 5 Posted March 5 55 minutes ago, Ever hopeful said: Has anyone heard from UMass Boston? Seems a bit late based on previous years. Nothing for me yet in poetry... I'm not on draft so idk what's been posted there. hoping for some good news soon to soften the blows of my last 6 straight rejections Ever hopeful 1
gafoo Posted March 5 Posted March 5 5 hours ago, slothgirl said: Hi everyone! We hear it all the time: don’t pay for an MFA program. I know a big reason for this because there’s sometimes a hierarchy for those who did receive full funding. However, does this still hold true in a private program where no one has received a large funding package like Sarah Lawrence? I need to be near New York but really want to do my MFA and am interested in Sarah Lawrence’s speculative fiction program… any thoughts/words of encouragement (or discouragement) are so appreciated❤️ I think that the "hierarchy piece" is secondary to how I've always interpreted the advice: never go into DEBT for a writing MFA, because you will almost certainly not make that money back. It's just not worth it—it's pretty much always a better bet to continue honing your craft and apply again to full-funded programs again in a year IMO. But again, if you're independently wealthy/able to pay, and the program has a good reputation generally, I don't see why not. For example, I am very much considering an MFA at Hunter College—this school would cost me $8k/year to attend, but would also allow me to keep my current full-time job, which makes the math make sense for me. And it's a respected program! barbou 1
Ever hopeful Posted March 5 Posted March 5 18 minutes ago, ojo534 said: Nothing for me yet in poetry... I'm not on draft so idk what's been posted there. hoping for some good news soon to soften the blows of my last 6 straight rejections I see one acceptance to umass Boston for poetry. Just appeared this afternoon. ojo534 1
slothgirl Posted March 5 Posted March 5 23 minutes ago, gafoo said: I think that the "hierarchy piece" is secondary to how I've always interpreted the advice: never go into DEBT for a writing MFA, because you will almost certainly not make that money back. It's just not worth it—it's pretty much always a better bet to continue honing your craft and apply again to full-funded programs again in a year IMO. But again, if you're independently wealthy/able to pay, and the program has a good reputation generally, I don't see why not. For example, I am very much considering an MFA at Hunter College—this school would cost me $8k/year to attend, but would also allow me to keep my current full-time job, which makes the math make sense for me. And it's a respected program! got it that makes sense!! For more context and probably TMI my dad passed away and I found out he left me an education fund I could utilize. I have to be in NYC and want to get my MFA but am getting a little bogged down with all the "Don't pay for an MFA" sentiments dyedviolet, gafoo, greenleaf and 1 other 4
gafoo Posted March 5 Posted March 5 Just now, slothgirl said: got it that makes sense!! For more context and probably TMI my dad passed away and I found out he left me an education fund I could utilize. I have to be in NYC and want to get my MFA but am getting a little bogged down with all the "Don't pay for an MFA" sentiments I definitely think the biggest thing to consider cohort-dynamics-wise is just the fact that the demographics of an unfunded program are probably different than fully-funded—I'd speculate that there would be lots more wealthy fresh-out-of-undergrads than a typical program (could be way off base here, though). But if the financial math pencils out and you feel like you like the program after doing your due diligence, I wouldn't worry about the hierarchy thing! Also, I am sorry for your loss, and I think it's really lovely that he'd leave you funds to pursue education. ❤️ Sending love to you and your family.
pimpimling Posted March 5 Posted March 5 Hey everyone! I got an acceptance (!!!) from LSU for fiction a week ago! I've been poking around for more info on the program, and was wondering if anyone here has any insight (positive or critical) they'd be willing to share? They don't seem to get a lot of buzz here/on Draft/etc., which makes it harder to get an idea of what to expect beyond what's on their website and everything, and I just want to be as informed as possible before I make any decisions. Regardless, I'm overjoyed and beyond grateful! Didn't expect this at all lol Strawberry14 1
Jitterbug98 Posted March 5 Posted March 5 Is anyone else unemployed and struggling to navigate the job search right now? I am very close to a full-time offer for a copywriting job after several months of unemployment. But I doubt I would like the job enough to choose it over attending an MFA in the fall, so I would have to leave after like 5 months. I obviously haven't told the hiring team that. I feel super guilty about the idea of screwing them over, but I also feel like I need to put myself first because I need an income for the next 5 months and my disability prevents me from most service jobs like working as a waitress or barista or in retail. Has anyone had a similar situation?
merpgirl Posted March 5 Posted March 5 random thought as I'm finally at the end of my second (and last) cycle - both programs I got into this year told me I was their top applicant for my genre but I got flat-out rejected everywhere else (not even a waitlist). I guess I'm a controversial applicant and I'm not sure how to feel about that lol
Walter Hartwell White Posted March 5 Posted March 5 1 hour ago, slothgirl said: got it that makes sense!! For more context and probably TMI my dad passed away and I found out he left me an education fund I could utilize. I have to be in NYC and want to get my MFA but am getting a little bogged down with all the "Don't pay for an MFA" sentiments I feel like that’s a different scenario for sure! If you have a pool of money your dad left you, it’s okay to pay then. I think it’s just not the usual scenario. For most people, they definitely should not pay. But if you have a trust fund—go ahead and pay! Hope you get in somewhere! Glad you have a fund, that’s honestly a great thing your dad did. I’m sorry for your loss though. lisichka 1
Strawberry14 Posted March 5 Posted March 5 24 minutes ago, Jitterbug98 said: Is anyone else unemployed and struggling to navigate the job search right now? I am very close to a full-time offer for a copywriting job after several months of unemployment. But I doubt I would like the job enough to choose it over attending an MFA in the fall, so I would have to leave after like 5 months. I obviously haven't told the hiring team that. I feel super guilty about the idea of screwing them over, but I also feel like I need to put myself first because I need an income for the next 5 months and my disability prevents me from most service jobs like working as a waitress or barista or in retail. Has anyone had a similar situation? I would take the job! People come and go from companies all the time--they will recover quickly! I've both left jobs unexpectedly and been at companies when someone leaves after a few months. I absolutely get anxious about "disappointing" or "letting down" folks, but at the end of the day, you should do what's right for you, and know that they'll be fine in the end. Ever hopeful, madsmadsmads, lisichka and 3 others 6
Jitterbug98 Posted March 5 Posted March 5 2 minutes ago, Strawberry14 said: I would take the job! People come and go from companies all the time--they will recover quickly! I've both left jobs unexpectedly and been at companies when someone leaves after a few months. I absolutely get anxious about "disappointing" or "letting down" folks, but at the end of the day, you should do what's right for you, and know that they'll be fine in the end. Yeah, I think you’re right, thank you. I could be screwing them over a bit, but it would also be screwing myself over to turn down what would be reliable income until I start school. There are plenty of copywriters looking for work right now so they could probably replace me easily when the time comes. Might be an awkward conversation down the line but I have to do what’s best for me for once! madsmadsmads, lisichka and Strawberry14 2 1
raindrops123 Posted March 5 Posted March 5 Hey all! I'm wondering if others who were admitted to University of Montana are still waiting to hear back about funding. I had a call on the 23rd and I thought they said the email about funding would go out later that week, although maybe I misunderstood. Thank you!!
impatientjoy Posted March 5 Posted March 5 4 minutes ago, raindrops123 said: Hey all! I'm wondering if others who were admitted to University of Montana are still waiting to hear back about funding. I had a call on the 23rd and I thought they said the email about funding would go out later that week, although maybe I misunderstood. Thank you!! Which genre??
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now