Coffee! How do you get your buzz?

hejduk

One of the few things my school does right that I enjoy is they have free coffee in both the art building (where I am a lot) and the social work building. I don't know if the coffee in the latter is for anyone but the social work students, but that sure as hell doesn't stop me from grabbing a cup if I'm near there. They have one of those Keurig coffee makers and I love their French Vanilla coffee. And I need to find out what the other coffee is the school serves since it's actually very, very good.

Other than that, I have a bottle of cheap store-brand coffee (which is horribly bitter) I keep in my room when I don't feel like hiking in 90 degree heat to the school for their caffeine.

Also, if anyone is interested, here's a neat recipe for what is meant to be a cafe-style mocha: 1 tablespoon instant coffee, 1/4 cup creamer (liquid), 3/4 cup milk, and 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup. Heat the milk and creamer together until it reaches desired warmth and pour it in a mug over the coffee. Stir in the syrup. That's it - it's pretty good too. :)

Any folks out there ever try low-acid or herbal coffee? Those are made for chumps like me with sensitive stomachs. Because of this, I've stuck to decaf and herbal teas whenever I'm "grabbing coffee" (easier to say than "grabbing tea," I guess). Though honestly, I find nothing is more refreshing than a glass of ice cold H2O, even if it is not as relaxing as tea or as stimulating as coffee. (I would also say as liberating as alcohol, but I'm a bashful teetotaler.)

As I mentioned earlier, cold-brewing coffee cuts down the acid content by about 70%- you should give it a shot. It's pretty mild at that point.

• 2 years later...

They are no longer sold in the US, but I swear by my Senseo machine for single serve coffee. They go for cheap on the used eBay market. You can only buy pods in big suburban centers like Walmart and online, but it easily tops Keurig for me, or you can make your own pods. No plastic capsule waste, no cleaning up grounds and filters. It's a pressurized system, and delivers nice strong drinks with a great thick layer of creamy faux-crema, which no drip system can ever accomplish. Plus, the pods come cheaper than Kcups, Verismo, CBTL, and T capsules

I am likewise a Keurig user. It originally belonged to my sister, but she no longer used it, so I gladly inherited it from her. I find it to be pretty quick way to get coffee in the morning, and it cuts down on costs in the long run. Plus I like how easy it is to try out different flavors each morning. The only thing is that they are pretty expensive to buy new, but I just saw some back-to-school sales at Target and Meijer's that were decent deals. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It really depends! I get my caffeine fix 3 different ways & it just depends on my mood & how long I need to stay up.

Tea- a rich coconut blend/ oolong with a little sugar/ genmaicha. This will work for maybe an hour or two. 

Coffee- the type doesn't really matter just because I use lots of cream and lots of sugar. This works for a few hours.

Monster- works like a charm. This puppy works for almost 6 hours on me. It's strong but it's a lifesaver.

I was in Europe this summer and got addicted to my moka pot.  I've finally got the ideal brewing process perfected (for my taste) and it takes me about 5 minutes.  I use that and my $2 ikea milk foamer to make a fantastic cappuccino.  I use boiling water in the reservoir to cut down on the brewing time and avoid scorching the coffee.  The result is a really smooth and strong cup of espresso-like coffee with very little bitterness.  I haven't had to add sugar since I figured out the process.

It does tend to use a fair bit of coffee though.  I figure, I'm still saving money, since I don't visit the shop that often and one cup is usually enough to get me through the day.

• 3 months later...

Have just bought my own Nespresso machine, one month into grad school with my first paycheque. 

This will be what gets me through the next 5-6 years of my PhD. :P

Lynx, I got a Pixie for Christmas - and I love it, but am a little overwhelmed by all the choices.  What do you like to use in your Nespresso? :)

Home-made double shot of espresso every morning and cheap 50cents coffee on campus. 

I'll eventually look into a system for better buzz on campus.

Edited by Pol

So I need a brewing kettle that I can fill up with water and tea bags and just leave around. I don't mind if it's not warm or hot, but I need a constant source of waker upper similar to how people drink sodas or have snacks during the day. I'd want something to just put in the fridge of have laying around.

For now, I just warm up a 16' oz coffee mug filled with water in the microwave and dip my tea bags in afterwords. I need something a little more time efficient.

Any recommendations for brands?

Edited by RedPill

Lynx, I got a Pixie for Christmas - and I love it, but am a little overwhelmed by all the choices.  What do you like to use in your Nespresso? :)

I'm all about the strongest espressos, so the Ristretto and Indriya have what I've been using lately. I've not attempted to do anything fancy beyond black coffees with my machine...

bought this little machine refurbished for less than 100$ about a year ago and it served me well so far:

cuisinart-em-100.3096652.jpg

Would very much like a nespresso for the office.

Edited by Pol