The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Hey all:

I know this is probably a crap shoot given how they decide who to accept or not, but I was hoping people would mind giving me their two cents about my chances at HKS.

My profile:

• Undergrad GPA: 3.68 (Top 100 private school) - Studied abroad in Dublin; lived and worked in Mexico during summers/winters
  • Law School GPA: 3.26 (The same Top 100 school) -- I didn't do the dual degree here because I've wanted to go to HKS.
  • Currently working in the school's Civil Rights Clinic, representing a prisoner in solitary confinement (which I'd like to do in the future, and I will be expressing this in my personal statement)
  • GRE Score: Verbal 710-800; Quantitative 680-780, Analytical: Probably 5 or higher
  • Worked for two years for an electrical contractor
  • Also worked on a gubernatioral campaign, managed a state house campaign, and worked as an aide in the state legislature.

I am worried about a few things:

• Applying to HKS straight after law school makes it seem like I'm applying just because of the economy (though I did apply to HKS while in undergrad)
    • Schools I've attended aren't the most prestigious
    • Also, my quant scores aren't as strong as other applicants (thinking about doing the optional essay)

Thanks for any input you may have!

I think with a really strong SOP that details exactly what HKS will do for you that law school didn't, you have a fighting shot. Considering it's HKS, it's still statistically very, very unlikely you get in. Are you applying to other schools?

My SOP does detail exactly that, but I am going in figuring that I wouldn't get in.

I was thinking about applying to SIPA or GPPI as well, but I have a huge workload this year (preparing for a trial) and don't have much more time to devote to applications, so it's pretty much HKS or bust.

My SOP does detail exactly that, but I am going in figuring that I wouldn't get in.

I was thinking about applying to SIPA or GPPI as well, but I have a huge workload this year (preparing for a trial) and don't have much more time to devote to applications, so it's pretty much HKS or bust.

Yeah, I would not plan on getting in. HKS or WWS admissions resembles a lottery, where you have to have really good test scores, grades, and experience to even buy a ticket. Like I said I think you have a fighting chance, but it's unlikely for any one person to gain admittance.

Good luck!

All right guys, thoughts on this:

-3.8 GPA in French Studies, Magna Cum Laude, with distinction (2009), full academic scholarship to a top-20 public school

-680V/730Q/5AW

-Fluent French, fluent Arabic, passable Persian

-Study abroad in Beirut, Cairo, Damascus

-Been living and working in the Middle East since graduating in 2009

-Current job is full-time consulting for a Dubai-based firm working with energy and security companies in Iraq

-Past jobs included volunteering at an orphanage in Lebanon, grant writing for an int'l NGO, media translation, and legal translation (Arabic and French to English)

-Solid SOP

-Solid LORs, especially from my current employer

-Utter lack of quant background, but enrolling in stats and econ classes in the Spring

Applying (or thinking of applying) to HKS (MPP), WWS, Fletcher, SIPA (MIA), and UChicago.

Any ideas? Things to accentuate? Things to omit? My chances?

I'm new here, too, and feeling pretty iffy about the whole app process. I just posted this on the Fall 2012 applicant thread, but would love to get some feedback from anyone with opinions. Here are my stats:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA, MIA, MALD, whatever they're calling it

Schools Applying To: GWU Elliott, Columbia SIPA, JHU SAIS, Princeton WWS, Tufts Fletcher, Georgetown MSFS

Undergraduate institution: Notably less-than-stellar large public. But our football team was pretty good. :unsure:

Undergraduate GPA: 3.77

Undergraduate Majors: International Business, Management [Honors]

Study Abroad: a semester in Germany, a semester in Spain, a month in Guatemala

GRE Quantitative Score: 680-780 [Did they make the new GRE quant harder?]

GRE Verbal Score: 750-800

GRE AW Score: don't know yet...

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4

Years of Work Experience: 3...?

Describe Relevant Work Experience: One year teaching ESL in Korea [government program], some management experience if that matters, internship with a political advocacy group [unpaid], internship with international development nonprofit [unpaid]

Languages: Spanish [proficient], Korean [intermediate, quickly forgetting], German [uG minor, intermediate], Indonesian [beginner, just for fun]

Quant: One calculus class in UG, a couple economics and stats. They don't tell you when you're good at math as a kid that you should NOT skip courses and do as little as possible.

Strength of SOP: Also currently working on this, will probably be decent. My work experience isn't incredibly relevant, but I've done tons of travel and am hoping to draw on that.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Two profs should be very good, one nonprofit director may not be as strong.

Other: I was fairly involved in extracurriculars in UG, and have numerous short volunteering stints all over the place. Also, I know that odds for WWS are low, but the win is big.

Y'all think I have a shot?

I've noticed this thread has a lot of GMAT scores listed for MPP/MPA applications. I was wondering if anyone knew what the general competitive score range was for the GMAT in comparison to the GRE for these programs?

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP (applying next year)

Schools Applying To: UMich (#1 choice)

Undergraduate institution: American University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.2 (low because I worked a lot in UG)

Undergraduate Majors: Communication, Sociology

Law School: Top 10%, Top 25 program

Study Abroad: semester in London with an internship at advertising agency

GRE Quantitative Score: 650-700

GRE Verbal Score: 750-800

GRE AW Score: ?

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 6

Years of Work Experience: 4

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Post-UG Internship at top Public Relations agency, one year teaching business english in Korea with project management and curriculum development experience, 1.5+ years private tutoring, Paralegal for software development company. Will be completing field placement next semester in state legislature on developing policy & drafting legislation.

Languages: Beginner Spanish & Korean

Quant: Haven't taken a math class in like 9 years, although I have tutored ACT & SAT math sections and have always been good at math. I just never liked math classes. Will be taking statistics and calculus before applying. Wondering if schools prefer "brick and mortar" classes, or if online classes are ok? My schedule with law school is nuts and it would be way more convenient to do a class online. What do you guys think?

Strength of SOP: Haven't written it yet, although I'm extremely interested in Technology, Environmental, and Educational Policy. Will probably be drafting something encompassing these interests.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Will probably be strong.

Other: Board Member of Non-Profit, volunteered teaching english to north korean refugees. Significant overseas travel experience. Wrote onto my school's Law, Technology & Policy Journal, am hoping to secure an editor position next year. Not very strong extracurriculars in UG due to work.

Michigan is my number one choice. I'm wondering if I would be competitive for this program? Which others would I also be competitive at? This seems like a whole different beast from the law school admissions process, so I appreciate any advice/input you guys would be willing to provide! Cheers.

Program Applied To: Security Studies

Schools Applying To: Georgetown

Undergraduate institution: Saints Louis University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.85 (on track for maga cum laude)

Undergraduate Majors: Political Science; Minor in Public Policy Studies

GRE Quantitative Score: 630 (53%)

GRE Verbal Score: 590 (84%)

GRE AW Score: 5.5 (96%)

Years of Work Experience: Total: 9 months; 6 months with Coca Cola Enterprises as an undergraduate intern; 3 months with U.S. Department of State

Describe Relevant Work Experience: In 2008 and 2009 I interned with Coca Cola Enterprises in order to gain a better understanding of the American business environment. My worked generally consisted of working with a logistical team who was responsible for implementing new production hardware. In the Fall of 2010, I interned with the U.S. Department of State in Rome, Italy. I worked in our Mission to the U.N. Agencies.

Languages: Significant Latin Study; Program has no language requirement

Quant: As an undergraduate I have taken finite mathematics and I also have taken microeconomics.

Strength of SOP: I am extremely interested in conflct studies and I have a peer reviewed SOP left over from my Marshall Application that I inted to refine.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have three faculty members who intend to write me letters. My first recommender is a full professor who received his Ph.D. at Georgetown. The second recommender is a assistant professor who is a Fulbright IEE recipeint. My final recommender is a very well known Jesuit scholar. All three of them have written me outstanding letters in the past.

Other:

-Generation 44 National Finance Committee Member

-Martin Luther King Jr. Scholar (Internal university honor related to commitment to diversity)

-Member of Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society

-I have been chosen in the past to give introductions for Dr. Irene Kahn of Amnesty International, Dr. Michael Cox of the London School of Economics, and President Vicente Fox of Mexico.

-I am President of the College Democrats

-Active in Student Government

-Dean's List etc.

<p>

<p><p><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Age: 22<br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Program Applied To: MPP<br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Schools Applying To: Carnigie Melon, University of Chicago, UVA. American, GWU, GMU<br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Undergraduate institution: George Mason University Ranked in the top 100 national schools these days i believe<br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Undergraduate GPA: 3.33 <br><br> <p><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Law School GPA: 2.67 - The adminssions dean at CMU and GMU both said it doesnt seem likely these grades will matter a great deal. <br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Undergraduate Majors: Political Science; minor in Islamic Studies<br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">GRE Quantitative Score: 155 (69%)<br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">GRE Verbal Score: 149 (49%)<br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">GRE AW Score: n/a<br><br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Years of Work Experience: 1 Full year- 6 months for a political non-profit and 6 months at a software company. <strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><br><br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Languages: Significant Latin Study; Program has no language requirement<br><br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Quant: Took a Statistics Class and a economics class, also took some quant reasoning class.<br><br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Strength of SOP: Explaining why I want to do public policy will not be a issue. I was always interested in public policy, my ethinic background (puerto rican) kind of always being a motivator to study more and learn more about how public policy has affected certain groups in this country. Law school was the means to working in public service and eventually in government. instead of doing it from the lawyers side, i would like to help form the policy. i can evidence this through my resume work and through my LORS.<br><br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have three recommenders, 1 a law professor, 1 a lawyer i worked for and 1 a former political candidate whose campaign i worked on. I am certain the 1st one will be very strong because the professor would not have written this in the first place if he did not know me (managed to stand out in a class otu of 110 people). The next two will be good also because I am control over it. <br><br><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">Other:<br>-Under Represented Minority (Puerto Rican)<br>-former vice chairman of College Republicans<br><br> <p><b>- created blogs for conservative organizations. <br> <p><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">-Active in Student Government<br>-Dean's List

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MIA - MIB

Schools Applying To: GWU Elliott (ITIP) , Columbia SIPA (MIA) , JHU SAIS, Tufts Fletcher (MIB), Georgetown MSFS, Sciences Po Paris

Undergraduate institution: good international institution

Undergraduate GPA: about 88%, 2nd of promotion

Dual Degree: Political Science and Economics & Business Administration (will receive two BA)

Study Abroad: lived one year in the U.S. after high school; summer school in Germany

GRE Quantitative Score: 158

GRE Verbal Score: 163

GRE AW Score: don't know yet

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0

Years of Work Experience: 0,7

Describe Relevant Work Experience: worked in a law office; internship in an international consultancy firm, internship in a risk insurance company.

Languages: French [mother tongue], Dutch [proficient], German [low but can read and understand], Spanish [beginner]

Quant: Ba in Economics: Macro, Micro, Math, Calculus, Stats, Statistical Analysis, Financial Analysis, Financial Markets, etc.

Strength of SOP: Currently working on it, focus on interrelation between IA and international finance; want to work in financial development, investment and financial inclusion.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 1 prof that knows me very well but outside of my field of interest, one polisci prof, and the partner of the consultancy firm I worked at.

Other: - member of the student body and head of the citizenship commission: organized conferences (and moderated them), political debates, worked closely with faculty members...

- did a Model United Nations and plan on doing another one (should I include it on my CV eventhough I haven't done in yet but have been selected?)

- did several business case studies, was selected to attend a conference at the LSE (2200 candidated, 300 selected)

I know I lack substantial work experience but I have a lot of extra-curricular activities and good academic achievements. It's a crapshoot but do I still have a little chance to get in?

A few quick thoughts.

SpecialBlend- Why do you want to do Ed and tech policy? From reading your profile, it's tough to draw a direct line looking at your experiences. You'll have to explain that.

MJorda & Waffle- Both of your stats are fine, but your complete lack of work experience is really going to hurt you both.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the forum for a while, but this is my first post. I'm currently in the process of applying to MPA/MPP programs for fall of 2012, and I could use some input.

At this point, I've got three programs in mind:

University of Washington Evans School MPA - the reasonable school

Columbia University SIPA MPA - the dream school

Simon Fraser University MPP - the safety school

It's difficult for me to gauge how strong my application is comparatively, so you'll notice there's a good range of programs I'm applying to. I'm still considering the exact track in an MPA/MPP program I'd like to follow, but I'm considering either policy analysis or social policy.

Alright, so here's the nitty gritty. I did my undergrad at UW-Milwaukee in English, emphasis in critical theory, 3.0 GPA overall, 3.5 in major. Additionally, I did an interdisciplinary certificate in Peace Studies with strong coursework in labor relations and economic development. In summer of this year, I took a course at Cornell's School of Industrial and Labor Relations, earned a B+ and a good recommendation from the professor, who recommended I study under a colleague at SIPA. I'm confident I'll have good LOR's overall.

My GRE scores are the following: Verbal 610, Quant 560, AW 5.0. I know I could have done much better on the quantitative, but I studied for maybe a day beforehand, didn't take it that seriously at the time (2 years ago).

Since graduating, I've done a variety of things, including working as an AmeriCorps volunteer for a large environmental organization in Seattle, working with a service learning program at a local high school, volunteering in my neighborhood, and working at a political advocacy organization over the summer. I feel that all of this could be fodder for SOP's. Overall I feel I'm a strong writer, so I don't expect any problems with SOP's.

My question is twofold: What are my chances of getting into the programs I've already earmarked, and given my background/GPA/GRE are there any other programs I should consider? I had looked at USC, UC-Berkeley, and University of Wisconsin- Madison as well, but ultimately decided not to apply to those.

Thanks in advance!

have you thought about American? it might be more in line with your GPA and GRE scores with the advantage of being in DC where there is ample room for gaining valuable internship experience. also, what kind of work experience do you have? that might be crucial.

Your chances at those schools can probably be found out by looking on their admissions sites for median admittance info.

The main impediments are threefold it would seem. First, your GPA is somewhat low, but can you stress that particular classes you took in policy areas were somewhat higher? (i.e. the Peace Studies classes). Second, can you retake the GRE to improve your quant score? If that's a day of studying, then I imagine you would do amazingly well with even just a few weeks of study. Third, agreeing with mrsplant, what kind of experiences do you have and, more importantly, what kind of focus do you have for a program? You need to figure out if you want to do social policy or policy analysis, although both of those are rather broad in and of themselves. Once you figure that out, then some of the program you want to do will be a better fit. It's tough to recommend places without knowing your passion for what you want an MPP/MPA to do for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): Middle East Studies / IR etc.

Schools Applied To: Fletcher (MALD), Georgetown (Arab Studies), George Washington (Middle East Studies), SAIS (Middle East Studies)

Schools Admitted To: 0

Schools Rejected From: 0

Still Waiting: All

Undergraduate institution: UK university

Undergraduate GPA: 1st

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):

Undergraduate Major: History

GRE Quantitative Score: 145 :( :( :( :(

GRE Verbal Score: 154

GRE AW Score: ?

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Years of Work Experience: 3

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

2 years at NGO in the Middle East as a Programme Officer. Written proposals, gained funding, and implemented projects from funders such as USAID, MEPI, US Embassy, Irish Embassy, UK Embassy, Sawaris Foundation, National Endowment for Democracy, National Democratic Institute, Finnish Embassy, Swedish International Development Association, Germany Embassy, GTZ, UNDP, New Zealand Embassy, and the American Development Foundation.

Managed project budgets in the region of 15,000 USD - 500,000 USD

Following the 'Arab Spring' worked on capacity building for new political parties etc.

Travelled extensively throughout the Middle East (Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan, Palestine, and Egypt) and have spent time studying Arabic in both Syria and Egypt.

Languages: English (native), Arabic (working knowledge), French (limited knowledge)

Quant: Financial management of project budgets as describe above, will be taking intro macro and micro through the University of Oxford school for Continuing Education from Jan - June 2012

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Work and travel experience as described above.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 3 professors from undergraduate institution who I took final year classes with and one of whom was my dissertation supervisor.

Anyone got any idea how I stand considering my terrible quant score? Should I even bother paying the fee and submitting my applications?

Hi all. Been lurking around the site for a while now and finally writing my own post. I'm in the very early stages of applying, and looking for a little feedback on my undergrad GPA as it fits in with my other qualifications. I feel confident about my LORs, personal statement and writing samples, but my GPA (3.1/4.0) combined with a not stellar GRE score has me a little bit concerned.

Would love any feedback.

--

GRE: 160 verbal (86%), 153 (65%), 4.5 analytical writing (72%)

Undergrad GPA: 3.1/4.0

GPA in major: 3.4/4.0

Graduated from Missouri School of Journalism -- if you're not familiar, it's one of the better journalism schools in the country. Minor in History, multicultural studies certificate

Work Experience: 3 years reporting for major newspapers (think big household names) on national politics and elections. Board of Directors for a large-scale journalism organization

Language Skills: Proficient Spanish and French.

Quant: Microeconomics, Economics of Public Policy, Money, Finance and Banking

Statement of Purpose: I write for a living and feel pretty confident in it. Have shopped it around to a number of academic and professional colleagues. Have checked for spelling/grammar errors so many times that I'm nearly going blind.

LOR: One from a former professor who happens to be a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist. Another from a CEO of an independent media company.

Applying to: Cornell (CIPA), Hopkins (Communications @ DC campus), George Washington (Graduate School of Political Management)

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate any feedback you guys have on my application chances. I'm applying to 18 programs for specialization in comparative politics/political economy. I know, 18 - but it seems justified given the level of competition, there are profs I would love to work with at all of them, my recommenders are okay with it, and for various reasons it would be quite difficult to have to reapply next year..

Here are the stats:

Graduated from Columbia 2009 - 3.65 overall, 3.92 major, major poli sci minor math. I graduated in 3 years (I took a year off to work full time in development in the former USSR during my junior year), and my GPA from my last year was a 3.98.

GRE: 800 Verbal, 790 Quant

LORs: 1 very well known professor who has done some awesome work in my field (but more of a practitioner - he's my academic mentor), 1 up-and-coming poli sci professor (thesis advisor), and 1 from former employer. All will be pretty glowing.

Statement of purpose: I shopped it around and did like a million rewrites, and I feel pretty confident with it. In each one I mention at least 2 professors I'd like to work with in the department and why their work interests me.

I've got 2 years work experience after undergraduate, and I worked in microfinance in the former USSR and then in clean tech, focusing on developing markets (I wrote about how the first job immersed me in the political economy of my region of interest and the second job has exposed me to a new side of the energy trade, which will be a crucial component of my doctoral studies).

I presented at a pretty high-level conference my senior year, have lectured in Argentina, did an undergrad thesis based on original field research done with a fellowship grant, and was invited to present at some conferences in Asia.

Here are the schools:

1. Stanford GSB Political Economics

2. Harvard Political Economy and Government

3. Columbia Poli Sci

4. SIPA MIA

5. SAIS MA

6. Washington U Poli Sci

7. Berkeley Poli Sci

8. UCLA Poli Sci

9. UCSD Poli Sci

10. Brown Poli Sci

11. Yale Poli Sci

12. Oxford Development Studies (mphil)

13. Cambridge (same)

14. LSE (same)

15. U Chicago Poli Sci

16. Duke Poli Sci

17. U Mich Ann Arbor Poli Sci

18. NYU Politics

I know this is super long, but if anyone gets a chance to take a look I'd love some feedback.

Thanks!

1) I don't know why someone would downvote your post.

2) This is probably the wrong forum to ask your question. This forum is primarily focused on 2 year masters in professional programs (MPA, MPP) etc. that are specifically career-oriented. PHDs, with their longer duration and academia-oriented curricula, are an entirely different beast. I would ask in the Political Science forum.

3) Now I see some professional programs mixed in with your PHD ones, which begs the question of why you are applying to both? Everything you've said indicates a desire for doctoral studies, which is entirely NOT what MPP/MPA programs are about.

Edited by MYRNIST

Good morning everyone,

My name is Stefania and I come from Italy. I'm new to this forum so first of all I want to say "Hi" to all of you! I would like to show you my profile so that you can give me your opinion.

I'm a Fulbrighter (just got a special Fulbright scholarship in Italy only for International Relation/Political Science students). My GPA both for undergraduate and graduate studies is 4/4 and my TOEFL is 102/120. Yesterday I got the results of my GRE new version and got 309/340 (159 V/150 Q) which I think are ok especially because this kind of exam is extremely different from our system of study. What shocked me a bit was my result on the AWA section: 2.5!!!! I was really disappointed also because I had experience with english writing (just took a diploma in Energy and International Relations at King's College in London) and have also two publications in the Global Community Yearbook of International Law with the Oxford University Press.

Said so, I realized the AWA section is corrected by a computer (!!!) which give you grades according to some set criteria (length, use of certain words, ...). However the result remain. I don't have time to retake the test cause everything regarding my application is managed by the IIE and not me personally.

I applied for:

Georgetown

NYU

Boston University

Syracuse University

My "writing sample" is good, I hope (is about anarchy and interdependence in the international system). I also have work experience (the last was at The Special Tribunal for Lebanon of the UN in The Hague) and have some good recommendations (one from Professor Antonio Cassese already president of the ICTY ). Do you think my bad result on the AWA section of the GRE would affect my application? I'm also looking for some other scholarship: maybe it would be an obstacle??

Thank you very much for your time reading my post.

Stefania

Good morning everyone...

Hey Stefania!

Doing poorly on the GRE is never good, but as you correctly identified, the damage can be mitigated by composing a really awesome statement of purpose, writing sample, etc. I recommending having a professor who is a native speaker of English (more accurately, is a native speaker of IvoryTower-ese) look over all your stuff, because going solely off your post I can see why you got a 2.5 on the AWA. Forgive me if that is harsh, since you clearly do speak English at a quite good level (and far better than I can speak Italian), but there are a number of grammatical errors and awkward constructions. If these mistakes were also present on the GRE, then the 2.5 was honestly earned. Luckily, for writing samples and SOPs you have the advantage of time for revision. Getting some quality editing from an educated native speaker, if you haven't already, will hopefully smooth out the linguistic bumps and let your actual ideas shine through.

PS - the GRE AWA is not graded solely by a computer. There are always at least two human graders as well.

Source: http://www.ets.org/g...ral/scores/how/

Edited by MYRNIST

Thanks Myrnist,

your post is helpful! Of course my SOPs and writing samples have been revised by native speakers. However, regarding my english, forgive my mistakes because when I wrote it I was still shocked by the result of the AWA which honestly I don't think to deserve. However, the most important thing is that you have reassured me!!!

Bye

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am an international student from Nepal and came to this website after another friend applying to grad schools highly recommended it. Nothing relevant to me was showing up when I was searching for Urban Planning in this forum so I figured I would write this post.

Here's my problem, I really need to find 2 safety schools and I was hoping I could get some recommendations. I know it sounds vague but since MURP doesn't have rankings for schools I really can't tell where I'm competitive.

Here's my Bio:

Interest:M. Urban Planning with following concentration interests:

Community Development, Social Policy, International Development. I'm looking more at working with non-profits than governments and am eventually planning on working outside the US in more developing nations.

Undergraduate:

GPA: 3.317

BA in Sociology and International Relations from Beloit College (Ranked around 60)

GRE:

Verbal: 166 (97%)

Quant: 157(77%)

AW: 4.5(72%)

Work Experience:

I graduated in May 2011 so I have almost no work experience. I did conduct a fully funded independent research on social capital in a slum in Mumbai, India over winter break of my senior year however. Also, my thesis paper addressed air pollution in Kathmandu, Nepal and proposed the restructuring of the public transport system as a potential solution.

Language Skills:

Nepali(native), English, Intermediate Hindi, Intermediate Japanese

Schools I'm Applying To:

University of Illinois - Urbana Champagne

Cornell University (Not Certain)

University of Michigan

The New School

Portland State University

Rutgers, The State University of New York

University of Toronto

University of Hawaii - Manoa

So if anyone were to drop names of universities that I could apply to as safety schools I could research them further and see if things would work out. I'm completely lost at the moment. Also, if anyone could quickly give me their opinions about how competitive an applicant I could be at the schools mentioned above, I'd really appreciate that too as I'm running out of time.

I would really appreciate your input!!

Thanks!

Isamu.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I want to thank OP and everyone else who take the time to read our "am I eligible" posts.

I am a lawyer (almost 3 years as a licensed attorney) but my interests are pushing me into an international affairs career.

Profile:

Graduation: Law, Universidad Iberoamericana (top 5 in Mexico)

CGPA 87.3/100 (3.49/4)

GMAT : Still to take it.

Experience : 2.5 years in corporate, administrative and financial law (2 years as an intern and 6 months as a licensed attorney in 2 of Mexico's best (local) law firms), 1 year intern in administrative litigation, 3 years in one of the best constitutional and human rights litigation firms in Mexico (2 years as a licensed attorney, 1 year as intern) and 8 months as intern in a criminal law litigation firm.

International experience: Studied 5 months in Leiden Law as exchange student, and 1 year of high school in Ireland.

Relevant experience: I guess dealing with constitutaional litigation included heavy international law research

Nationality: Mexican

Community service: Part time for 2 years. Free legal clinic and legal support and women's rights education for impoverished women in rural mexico (heartbreaking experience).

I am looking into the following programs:

Fletcher

AU (SIS)

LSE/Sciences Po

Geneva (G.I.)

And if I manage to get some economics courses under my belt:

SIPA

Princeton (SPIA)

Gtown.

and some others.

I still have to take the GRE which will be an important point to consider, but this is what I've got so far.

Thank you all and good luck with your applications.

Juan