MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I received a rejection letter today for U of New Mexico for MFA painting

I'm sorry about the bad news. It sounds like UNM is going through Painting decisions first. Not sure if that means anything for Photo since they are reviewed by different departments but hopefully they'll send out decisions soon!

Good luck with the rest of your apps.

Im new here. Been stalking this site for a while now. I actually appreciated asu's "deny letter" didnt even have to open and read it.

Is it just me but i've heard from all my schools from out west, but not a peep from anything on the eastern front? Is this a trend?

Acceptance letters for UNM Photo have gone out. I've been put on the wait list.

How does everyone feel about wait lists? If you get in after being put on the wait list, do you sort of feel like the program didn't want you and you were their last choice? Or am I just being sensitive?

Acceptance letters for UNM Photo have gone out. I've been put on the wait list.

How does everyone feel about wait lists? If you get in after being put on the wait list, do you sort of feel like the program didn't want you and you were their last choice? Or am I just being sensitive?

In my opinion, when programs are very competitive with so few spots you should be proud of making the waitlist.

think of it this way, hundreds of people apply, they really like the works of 15 people but only have 10 spots, if you are on the waitlist you could be choice 11, definitely not the last choice and still something to be proud of!

congratulations, and good luck!

also: if you get off the waitlist, you have the exact same opportunities at the school as their first pick! it doesn't change anything!

Edited by kazoo

I'm sorry about the bad news. It sounds like UNM is going through Painting decisions first. Not sure if that means anything for Photo since they are reviewed by different departments but hopefully they'll send out decisions soon!

Good luck with the rest of your apps.

How did you hear you were waitlisted for UNM?

I agree about the ego thing. It's so funny because if a friend of mine was going through the same situation, I would be giving them advice that I can't seem to take myself. I think the process in itself is a huge learning experience, and truthfully, seems to mimic a lot of the emotions that we'll all go through in our career as artists. It's not the last "rejection" we'll face, that's for sure.

I saw that a couple of people had gotten rejections which made me think that they would have contacted those that had been accepted so I called to ask if all notices had gone out, and the person that answered the phone offered to look up my application status. Otherwise, I don't think I would have heard anything.

I got a call last Friday, but I still haven't received any email notifications or application status changes, which I was told was going to happen this week. I heard rejection emails already went out for some, so I'd assume not hearing yet is a good thing?

Oh okay, so I guess it might be too early to say for sure. Hopefully we will hear something soon, I really like the program there so it's pretty high on my list! Here's to hoping we still have a shot!

I got a call last Friday, but I still haven't received any email notifications or application status changes, which I was told was going to happen this week. I heard rejection emails already went out for some, so I'd assume not hearing yet is a good thing?

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing the info! I'm going to hold out hope then until I hear otherwise.

I also received my rejection letter in the mail from Tyler for painting. They also invited me via email to the MFA exhibition. Wah waaaah.

blkjwl, I totally agree about going where we're meant to. And I am learning more about myself through this agonizing and humbling process.

I totally agree. Never take these "rejections" personally.

It is human nature to want to be "chosen" so to speak. See great post re: ego above.

It means that the school initially had applicants with portfolios,experience that fit in better with their needs and current students. Very subjective. If someone on the wait list gets in and the school is one they want to go to and can afford, "put aside the pride" and go....work hard and show the school that you are an excellent candidate.

Additionally, I've heard of people getting rejected by programs that aren't even in the top 100, only to be then accepted by a top program like Yale or RISD. Getting rejected does not mean a whole lot other than your application wasn't what they were looking for this year or that there were a number of applicants that were a better fit for them.

That said, make sure your portfolio is the best that it can be and apply to more programs if you have to reapply next year. I've seen people on here that only applied to the top three programs in their discipline. That says to me that they are already an accomplished artist or that they are naive and do not realize what a long shot the top programs are. I also have heard that some people send in unfinished work, foundation pieces, sketches and diagrams for potential work, work that is outside their primary medium, and unfocused and unrelated pieces as a portfolio. A sloppy presentation is a quick way to find your portfolio in the rejection pile.

Here's how I feel about wait lists...if you don't get in anywhere this year, that school should be your first priority when applying next year, because you're already closer to the top of the heap than any of the unknown heaps that you can throw your name into and they'll most likely remember you and remember how tough it was to narrow down the last couple of applicants. Make sure your portfolio is recognizable, but not the same. Replace your older pieces with the work you are going to make this year and have enough of it to show growth and commitment and to prove to them that you are a serious working artist. It definitely beats the straight up rejections where you wonder if there was a group of snobs sitting around in a circle laughing at your application or not. Good luck with your remaining apps though. I know that none of us want to have to go through this again next year. I don't know why I felt so relieved when I got all of my apps done. That relief went away as soon as the first person on here heard from a school. This is way to brutal and all consuming.

Some good advice. Last year, I was rejected by my top choice school. It sucked, but I didn't let it bother me. Instead, I spent the entire year painting, drawing, and writing. I re-applied this year and they accepted me. In short, I'm glad for the rejections I received last year. I wasn't a good fit, and I needed the time to develop on my own. Make work, think and write about why you're making it, and re-apply.

I also received my rejection letter in the mail from Tyler for painting. They also invited me via email to the MFA exhibition. Wah waaaah.

blkjwl, I totally agree about going where we're meant to. And I am learning more about myself through this agonizing and humbling process.

LOL!!! whoisit, this is my third time applying. All of life is just like this application process. If you cannot "deal" with this, you cannot deal with grad school or everything that will come after, much more challenging. Enjoy it and learn everything you can ;-) rock and roll...

Ditto!

LOL!!! whoisit, this is my third time applying. All of life is just like this application process. If you cannot "deal" with this, you cannot deal with grad school or everything that will come after, much more challenging. Enjoy it and learn everything you can ;-) rock and roll...

While I agree that this may be true of many people, I'd like to offer a different perspective. The four schools I applied to are all very highly rated in my discipline, even though I know what a longshot it is. At this time in my life, my goal is not to immediately go to grad school, but to go to one of these specific schools whenever one of them accepts me. I'm prepared to face rejection and continue applying as I build up my work over the years, to wait as long as it takes. An undergrad professor once told me a story about a friend of his who refused to apply anywhere except Yale--it took four application cycles, but eventually he got in. To him, it was worth it.

I'm extremely honored that one of these schools has already expressed interest in my work, but I know there's still a solid chance that I'll be right back here next December. So, I think it also depends on how you view grad school and how you set your own priorities.

Well said. That is certainly a valid perspective. If you are young and committed, then waiting and producing better work and perhaps getting into a better program is certainly a worthwhile strategy and perhaps the BEST strategy. For me, it's now or never as I'm 51 years old and starting a third career as an artist/educator.

Per conversation earlier - I finally got a rejection email from UCSD via email this morning. Best wishes to all those who haven't heard yet, I'm still crossing my fingers for you!

And not to be a Bitter Betty, but . . . for those who applied to UCSD, did anyone else notice that when they had us build the web based portfolio, they totally didn't protect it? I mean, I had someone alert me to the fact that my portfolio for them showed up in a Google search. That has got to be unethical somehow! Then you could totally scroll and review everyone else's stuff, images, videos, statements, everything. On top of that, I somehow managed to stumble upon a "rankings" page of who was top ranked - ranking according to just whom, I don't know. But still. I believe it has since been all taken down. But if the department or anyone else reads this forum, just a heads up for next year that you all should watch out for that.

Maybemaroon:

Congratulations! I just posted something about RISD photo and how I didn't see any other applicants out there. I also got the invite last night. I wonder how many others did.......

Edited by justanother

Congratulations to everyone getting good news!

Two questions -

To all those interviewing at CalArts via Skype - did they contact you already to set a time?

It's been over a week since they told me that a department faculty member will contact me and I'm a little worried.

And - has anyone heard from SVA?

Thank you all :]

Here's how I feel about wait lists...if you don't get in anywhere this year, that school should be your first priority when applying next year, because you're already closer to the top of the heap than any of the unknown heaps that you can throw your name into and they'll most likely remember you and remember how tough it was to narrow down the last couple of applicants. Make sure your portfolio is recognizable, but not the same. Replace your older pieces with the work you are going to make this year and have enough of it to show growth and commitment and to prove to them that you are a serious working artist. It definitely beats the straight up rejections where you wonder if there was a group of snobs sitting around in a circle laughing at your application or not. Good luck with your remaining apps though. I know that none of us want to have to go through this again next year. I don't know why I felt so relieved when I got all of my apps done. That relief went away as soon as the first person on here heard from a school. This is way to brutal and all consuming.

Mick, from reading forums from other years, from my own experience and from the experience of other people I know, when you reapply to a school you were wait-listed at the previous year, you don't even make it to the second round! In my case I think my application was stronger than last year's, but the selection process factors (the current grad students, what they are looking for, what kind of work other applicants make) change every year.

Maybe you know of someone who had the opposite experience? That would be comforting. At this juncture, I would only say to people who don't get off the waitlist to reapply if it's a school they love (i did) but not to get their hopes up.

ps: Have a great weekend everyone! Hope next week brings us more clarity

Edited by kazoo