MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Congratulations to everyone getting good news!

Two questions -

To all those interviewing at CalArts via Skype - did they contact you already to set a time?

It's been over a week since they told me that a department faculty member will contact me and I'm a little worried.

And - has anyone heard from SVA?

Thank you all :]

I'm interviewing with CalArts for their photo dept. via Skype, and I have contacted them quite a few times, and all I get is, "A faculty member will be contacting you in the next few days to schedule a time." But I have gotten that 3 times for the past 2.5 weeks. But atleast I got out of them that the Skype interview will still be March 8, the time though, is a mystery! Hopefully we will hear something soon!!

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone applied to University of New Mexico? If so, has anyone heard anything yet?

Also, any news from Carnegie Mellon yet? I know some rejection letters have started going out, but what about interviews or positive news?

I got an interview from CMU last Tuesday...

Just finished my interview at MassArt! Went well, very relaxed. No scary hard-ball questions.

Just finished my interview as well. Went well I feel too, much more informal than I imagined and I really enjoyed the faculty that conducted the interview/crit and the students that gave the tour. Who gave you your tour?

Got my letter from SAIC today. They're offering me a post-bacc and, despite some misgivings about the usefulness of the program, I am going to consider it. I have been out of school for a while and having the opportunity to paint full time, establish some new connections and correct some of my undergrad weaknesses (poor gpa) might be a good idea. Thinking...

Ah, that definitely makes sense. Congrats on your acceptances, too! I'm glad things are working out for you this year. :)

I'm only 23, and my undergrad professors definitely beat it into our heads how difficult getting into grad school was going to be. I would hope this is typical, so everyone understands what they're getting into when they set their sights on the big names. I decided to throw my lot in anyway, but I won't take it personally or slow down if things don't go my way this time around.

Well said...

Congrats to all the acceptances and hope everyone else is keeping their heads up. I remember Professor Waltemath telling me literally, "It's a bit of a crapshoot" at the MICA open house. Keep in mind they're ethnic/gender quotas and a need for balance/cohesion within the crop of prospective incoming students, as well as between current grad students and current faculty. In short, a rejection shouldn't be taken personally but that being said, I know how it feels and it's a lot easier to say that than to feel that when the time comes... It's also something as artists that we'll need to get used to swallowing, and channeling towards pursuing our goals with even more vigor.

Enjoy the weekend friends, I expect a big week of notices forthcoming...

Rejection letter from Berkeley. Boo. Really liked that program...

But, interview at UCLA (media arts) on Fri was awesome. People there were very very nice and accommodating, and I even got to hang out with the department head and a couple of my media art heroes unofficially. I really like UCLA.

Edited by OutWest

Rejection letter from Berkeley. Boo. Really liked that program...

But, interview at UCLA (media arts) on Fri was awesome. People there were very very nice and accommodating, and I even got to hang out with the department head and a couple of my media art heroes unofficially. I really like UCLA.

Hello OutWest.

When did you get notified the interview on Friday? was it only for in-person interview? when did you receive the email or letter?

Anyone hear from CSULB yet?

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm starting to get a little worried because I got a rejection email from UCSD today and apparently have been rejected from UCI because people have already been notified about interviews. I REALLY don't want to wait another year to apply again. This is the 2nd round of applying. I'm just ready to move out to LA and get my masters!

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm starting to get a little worried because I got a rejection email from UCSD today and apparently have been rejected from UCI because people have already been notified about interviews. I REALLY don't want to wait another year to apply again. This is the 2nd round of applying. I'm just ready to move out to LA and get my masters!

:( Hope you get something soon!

Hello OutWest.

When did you get notified the interview on Friday? was it only for in-person interview? when did you receive the email or letter?

I was notified 02/08 via email that I would be interviewed (I chose to do it in person). They did all the interviews for media arts MFA in one day (about 14 of us), yesterday.

Edited by OutWest

All the interview for MFA DMA in a day? so all the applicants eligible for interview attended in-person interview? wow

I was notified 02/08 via email that I would be interviewed (I chose to do it in person). They did all the interviews for media arts MFA in one day (about 14 of us), yesterday.

All the interview for MFA DMA in a day? so all the applicants eligible for interview attended in-person interview? wow

Hi Yoo, no, I think they did all the Skype/phones as well...I only saw two other candidates during the time I was there (for a couple hours)...I talked to a grad student in the dept., later at a show on campus, and that person told me they got all 14 (or 15? Can't remember...) done in a day.

Where else did you apply for media art??? Interested to hear...

Good luck!

Edited by OutWest

snapback.pngimbeingdead, on 24 February 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Anyone hear from CSULB yet?

Reading posts from last year...a person who was accepted there heard near the end of March.

Do a search for CSULB in this forum.

You might also email the admissions office to ask when they make decisions.

Best of luck!

p.s. you have captured the mystique of cats very well :D

Thank you so much!!!!

Hi Yoo, no, I think they did all the Skype/phones as well...I only saw two other candidates during the time I was there (for a couple hours)...I talked to a grad student in the dept., later at a show on campus, and that person told me they got all 14 (or 15? Can't remember...) done in a day.

Where else did you apply for media art??? Interested to hear...

Good luck!

I am from the east coast, and did not apply to many grad schools in the west coast..

doing interviews and scheduled from other grad schools these days.

my main focus area is Art & Technology, maybe also New Genres too.

what are the good grad schools in the west coast for this study?

Edited by Sang Jun Yoo

I am from the east coast, and did not apply to many grad schools in the west coast..

doing interviews and scheduled from other grad schools these days.

my main focus area is Art & Technology, maybe also New Genres too.

what are the good grad schools in the west coast for this study?

I think a good list would be, for the more techie programs in Cali, North to South (anyone wishes to add any, go for it):

- Mills / Intermedia

- UCSC / danm

- SJSU / cadre

- UCSB

- CalArts / film&media

- USC / cinema (has a gaming MFA)

- UCLA / d-ma

- UCSD

To add New Genres:

- SFAI

- CCA

- UC Berkeley