PhD applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

TheHymenAnnihilator

I emailed Indiana at the beginning of last week. Here is the response I got from the DGS on February 21, 2012:

"
We are nearing the point when we can send out notifications, but are not quite there yet."

Thanks!

My only outstanding application is to UT-Austin's Religious Studies department. Has anybody heard word from them yet?

Why didn't you send an outstanding application to every place you applied? That doesn't seem like a very smart strategy...

I got an email from Yale, but I haven't bothered to look at the website since I know it's a rejection

Edited by 11Q13

I got an email from Yale, but I haven't bothered to look at the website since I know it's a rejection

I would encourage you to check it, 11Q13. Though I received a call from Dale Martin on Friday informing me of Yale's decision, I also received the same email directing me to the website to see an acceptance letter.

When you hear of decisions and rumors of acceptance, do not be alarmed; this must take place, but the end is still to come. For applicant will rise against applicant, and university against seminary; there will be pos-doc applications in a few years; there will be famines of hiring new faculty. This is but the beginning of the birth pangs for a young academic.

Thanks for this outis - smiles are not common 'round my neck of the woods - it has been a welcome addition to my day.

When you hear of decisions and rumors of acceptance, do not be alarmed; this must take place, but the end is still to come. For applicant will rise against applicant, and university against seminary; there will be pos-doc applications in a few years; there will be famines of hiring new faculty. This is but the beginning of the birth pangs for a young academic.

i never could get into shakespeare

Notre Dame CJA people: If I haven't heard anything from Notre Dame so far (ie no interview) is it safe to say I will be rejected? Or is there still a chance to be waitlisted?

Thanks

I'm not a CJA person, but I know there have been years where people were accepted off of the waitlist who had not been flown out for an interview.

Notre Dame CJA people: If I haven't heard anything from Notre Dame so far (ie no interview) is it safe to say I will be rejected? Or is there still a chance to be waitlisted?

Thanks

There's an outside possibility for you. I think they interviewed 9 people for 4 spots. I know of at least three that are considering good offers elsewhere. Again, not good odds, but not impossible.

I am American by birth but have lived in Canada for several years--my entire undergraduate education and MA was completed in Quebec. I was rejected from a variety of programs (Harvard Th.D; UT-Austin; Northwestern), but was accepted to Columbia University with a full package for "History of Christianity". Moreover, I have an interview in the Department of German Studies at Princeton (with an emphasis on medieval German literature), which looks very hopeful! I am still waiting to hear from Harvard (Ph.D) and Chicago. I will be very happy to accept Columbia's gracious offer, regardless of other offers!