Fall 2012 Applications

- Eileen -

I'm going insane waiting for Berkeley too! Sounds like we'll probably hear around the first or second week of March.

2nd week of March is coming up, thank goodness. At least it isn't late March or early April. I'm waiting to hear from a state school here in California and I hear some decisions are sent out in July! Can you believe that!?

On a different note, I'm a bit upset with NYU because according to them, my application was incomplete because supposedly they did not have my transcript. However, I had my undergraduate school send them my transcript well in advance and forwarded NYU my confirmation number and asked them to basically look again.

A couple of hours later, I got an email back saying that they located my transcript and it's complete. What's weird is that the same thing happened with Columbia. What's up with the New York schools and transcripts? Because of this, I have a feeling my NYU and Columbia application is barely being looked at/considered, which in turn, delays their decision,which in turn makes me even more restless :(

Edited by rjose

rjose, I know that feeling - I hate it when your application being "incomplete" is the fault of the school you're applying to (whether because they've misplaced a transcript, or have taken forever to process something, had a glitch in the system, etc...). It really does feel like by the time everything is finally complete, our apps are at the bottom of the pile - through no fault of our own! I know (or at least hope) that's probably not the way it works and that they do give our apps their due consideration, but it is hard to avoid feeling that way. Plus, like you said - it draws out the waiting!! The part that stresses me out the most in these situations is that if they take awhile to process/review/make a decision about the apps, they might not let us know by April 15th, when our other schools need a decision!! What does one do if they've been accepted someplace(s) but still want to compare offers from other schools, and the deadline is fast approaching? I'd be really upset if I was waiting for my first choice school to get back to me and accepted a less desirable offer because of time pressure and the fear that I would give up option B for option A possibly not accepting me. :-/

One thing I wish I'd realized BEFORE starting the grad school application process is that whatever the deadline is for all materials to be in, you should really consider the deadline to be 2-3 months earlier. Rrrgh.

Rjrose and Katiemk - I had a very similar situation with my transcripts and University of Michigan. I was really paranoid, but it turns out I was still accepted and all was well! Don't worry too much :)

Has anyone applied to CSU LA for the Forensic focus? I'm just curious because CSU LA is the only one of two schools that offers it so I assumed it would be competitive but haven't heard anybody mention they applied for it? Seems like most everyone is going for mental health or youth/families. Would appreciate any feedback on that program... Thanks!

I got an acceptance letter from CSU-LA last Monday. My application was complete on Dec 15th. I applied for the Women, Children, and Families concentration though. I am really hoping on getting a CalSWEC stipend. Do you have any idea how competitive they are?

I'm getting really antsy about Berkeley. Does anyone know around what month they let folks know of their decision?

So I was looking into Berkeley's notification timeline last year and a few students got emails or phone calls on Feb 18 last year. Another batch got wait-listed or accepted around March 4 and some got rejected March 8. I think those that interviewed for the stipend heard last around end of March.

Anyone call for notification timeline or statistics from Berkeley this year?

Any applicants, thoughts or news on the following schools:

University of Maryland (accepted early admission to PT program)

University of Minnesota

University of Washington - Seattle

Portland State University

Wishing February away!!

I applied to University of Maryland on 1/27 and heard back 2/14 that I was accepted! It is a great program!

Congrats, keithjn!

I submitted my Maryland app in early January and still have not heard back...am getting a little nervous that they never received all of my materials. Was there a way you could tell that your application was complete?

I got an acceptance letter from CSU-LA last Monday. My application was complete on Dec 15th. I applied for the Women, Children, and Families concentration though. I am really hoping on getting a CalSWEC stipend. Do you have any idea how competitive they are?

I got accepted into CSULA as well. Congrats!

CSULA has about 17 CalSWEC stipends, and they only accept 25 students into the Children, Youth, Women and families concentration. You have a good shot of getting it. Good luck!

Congrats, keithjn!

I submitted my Maryland app in early January and still have not heard back...am getting a little nervous that they never received all of my materials. Was there a way you could tell that your application was complete?

Call them! Thats what I did...compulsively.

Hi all,

I only applied to one school for my MSW- UNC Chapel Hill. I applied in mid-December and have not heard anything yet. Any other Chapel Hill applicants with news?

Thanks!

I applied to UNC Chapel Hill as well. I haven't heard anything yet. Someone from admissions emailed me two weeks ago about a missing reference. I am hoping we will hear back in the next few weeks!

I also applied to UNC at the end of November and haven't heard back yet. I'm applying for the Advanced Standing program.

Someone from VCU contacted me to set up a two hour interview, one hour on Skype with a professor and an hour to respond to a writing prompt. Has anyone else had an interview with VCU? I'm not sure if the interview is just to determine whether or not I get in, or if they may be considering me for some type of funding. Does anyone have some insight on this?

This process is crazy-making! :wacko:

Edited by costello

I applied to a few schools, but UC Berkeley is my first choice! I'm looking forward to hearing back from them! Does anyone have any additional updates (besides the automated voice message which says to check your e-mail the first and second week of March)? I've been counting down the days since I turned my application in during the beginning of December!! Getting in to Berkeley would be my dream come true and overcoming so many arduous obstacles worth it! Ahh, soo excited to find out!!! :) :)

I also applied to UNC at the end of November and haven't heard back yet. I'm applying for the Advanced Standing program.

Someone from VCU contacted me to set up a two hour interview, one hour on Skype with a professor and an hour to respond to a writing prompt. Has anyone else had an interview with VCU? I'm not sure if the interview is just to determine whether or not I get in, or if they may be considering me for some type of funding. Does anyone have some insight on this?

This process is crazy-making! :wacko:

Haven't heard anything from VCU, still waiting. Sigh.

I would LOVE to go there but my first choice is Upenn. I have my interview tomorrow so hopefully I will know after spring break! What about you?

Right now, I'm about 80% sure that I'm going to Umaryland. I've got everything set up to go there, but I'm still waiting on UMich and also financial aid from schools. Good luck on your interview!

Hi All!

I just got my financial aid from Columbia, and everything would be covered (including living expenses) with my financial aid package, which includes a grad plus loan and a stafford loan. They only gave me a $7,000/yr scholarship. The only reason I would go to Columbia would be for the name, which I don't think is a good enough decision factor. I hear the program is excellent, but really big with somewhat large class sizes. While Columbia it is internationally recognized as being an amazing university, within NYC Hunter is looked at on the same level of prestige for social work, if not higher.

I also got into Yeshiva University with a scholarship that would cover the cost of tuition in combination with the Stafford Loan. I get the feeling Yeshiva offers an amazing education with small class sizes, but I'm afraid people would think I'm really religious with a degree from there, besides it being a secular program. What do people think?

I was interviewed for Hunter's program by a woman who got her MSW from Columbia because she was rejected from Hunter. The tuition at Hunter is extremely affordable, and I would rather go to a school that makes itself accessible for people of all financial backgrounds. I really hope I get in! I should find out within 2-4 weeks.

I just thought I'd give my own personal insight to see what others think. I want to open a private practice one day, and am not too sure how the school name would factor into my ability to get a nice client base or position at an organization. I like to think that good people get good jobs, not good schools. And I think Hunter offers competitive field placements.

I hope everyone is managing well with the whole waiting game!!

I just heard back from UCLA this morning. They notified me of my admission via e-mail with an attachment of my admissions letter that they were sending in the mail.

I also heard back from USC last Saturday via mail. Hoping to hear back from UCB so I don't have to make the difficult decision between UCLA and USC

Congrats MissDanielle! My USC status still says in review. Any chance you know how long that takes? And would you mind sharing when you submitted your USC application? Thanks!

On the USC website it states that I submitted my application on 12/4/11. The week before I got my acceptance letter in the mail, a woman from the department of social work called me to notify me that my application was complete and that she was sending it over to review. She gave me an estimate of 1-2 weeks of when I would hear back with a decision and I got my letter about a week later.