New GRE Test Scores are up.

kolja00

Website is down again. My prediction is tonight for us 3rd batch-ers

It was down from 7-8pm PST last night and tonight also, so I don't think it means much. If they're going to be a week early (like the others), then tomorrow night looks likely.

Help! Question!

I got my scores today (new scale) V 162/ Q 144 (terrible Q, but thats me sadly) -- is this just an estimate? Do you think its more likely to go up or down? I'm freaking out bc I just scraped to the 90th percentile.

Thank you all!

Help! Question!

I got my scores today (new scale) V 162/ Q 144 (terrible Q, but thats me sadly) -- is this just an estimate? Do you think its more likely to go up or down? I'm freaking out bc I just scraped to the 90th percentile.

Thank you all!

That verbal score is good. I wouldn't stress about it honestly. That's a very strong verbal score in my opinion.

Score: 170V, 164Q

To those who doubt our high scores - if you are even on this forum, you're probably in the top 20% of graduate school applicants.

GRE scores are requested for many programs, such as social work or management. The minimums for those programs are ~1000 (on the old version). Very few members of this forum are in these fields - we're mostly intensely focused in the academic world.

Score: 170V, 164Q

To those who doubt our high scores - if you are even on this forum, you're probably in the top 20% of graduate school applicants.

GRE scores are requested for many programs, such as social work or management. The minimums for those programs are ~1000 (on the old version). Very few members of this forum are in these fields - we're mostly intensely focused in the academic world.

Of course being in the top 20% is not exactly a great comfort since it's primarily this top 20% you'll be competing against. As you mentioned, the other 50-80% of the test takers are probably looking at non-academic tracks that have less rigorous admissions standards. So the top 20% becomes a further microcosm for those competing for academic programs; an 85% might more appropriately be stated as bottom quartile for some programs.

So when someone comes who is nervous about scoring the 85% percentile, this is very justified if he or she is seeking a path in academia (or at least at a very selective school). Only the top 20% of GRE students will be applying to top programs, so the mean GRE score which factors in all the non-academics isn't a great indicator of where you sit relative to other applicants at a given grad school.

Applying for Art History PhDs and MAs at top tier schools... just got my scores today and am pretty disappointed at how their projected range for my Verbal deviated from my actual score in the end! Sigh. Did a lot better on practice tests. So it goes.

V: 164, 94th percentile (projected 710-800, where even just a 710 would have translated to a 167, or 98th percentile)

Q: 155, 69th percentile (projected 690-790, so pretty accurate)

Edit: whoops! Forgot my writing score. Pretty happy with that one: 6.0. Whee.

Edited by Eggleston

Applying for Art History PhDs and MAs at top tier schools... just got my scores today and am pretty disappointed at how their projected range for my Verbal deviated from my actual score in the end! Sigh. Did a lot better on practice tests. So it goes.

V: 164, 94th percentile (projected 710-800, where even just a 710 would have translated to a 167, or 98th percentile)

Q: 155, 69th percentile (projected 690-790, so pretty accurate)

Edit: whoops! Forgot my writing score. Pretty happy with that one: 6.0. Whee.

You got your scores today? When did you write the GRE?

I repeat this question: do you guys think that with the new scores 320 is going to be the new 1400??

I know they are not exactly the same percentile wise but I think for some purpose 160 is going to be the new cutoff for many schools

What do you guys think?

I repeat this question: do you guys think that with the new scores 320 is going to be the new 1400??

I know they are not exactly the same percentile wise but I think for some purpose 160 is going to be the new cutoff for many schools

What do you guys think?

I'm looking at the concordance chart, and that seems about right. If my schools required a 1200, then I should probably be trying for a minimum of 155 in the two subject areas, I guess. It's difficult to understand given the different things I'm reading from different people's posts, but the concordance chart is from ETS, so I guess the coorelation chart there is probably going to be the most dependable.

I'm looking at the concordance chart, and that seems about right. If my schools required a 1200, then I should probably be trying for a minimum of 155 in the two subject areas, I guess. It's difficult to understand given the different things I'm reading from different people's posts, but the concordance chart is from ETS, so I guess the coorelation chart there is probably going to be the most dependable.

In the concordance charts 320 (160+160) is more close to 1360 to be exact. However, I think schools are going to see 160 as the new cutoff, regardless of what it really translates to.

I received 154+154 and two of my schools told me this correlates to 1200 on the old scale.

I received 154+154 and two of my schools told me this correlates to 1200 on the old scale.

Okay, cool! My estimate wasn't too far off then. Hopefully my scores will show up tonight so I can see if I made the cut...

also posted this on the 3rd batchers thread:

really happy with my scores.

163 verbal (93%) <-- My predicted was 670-770, which translates to 164-170, so this score is slightly below. this translates to a 650 old scale

168 quant (96%) <-- My predicted was 750-800, which translates to 159-170. my score translates to an 800 old scale

6.0 aw (99%)

Posted this in the other thread as well--

Verbal: 165, 96% --> 690 (estimate: 710-800)

Quant: 156, 74% --> 720 (estimate: 700-800)

AW: 4.5, 72%

Equivalent to a 1410 overall on the old scale, which is more than good enough for me! Bummer that my verbal was lower than predicted though. Phew, so glad that's over!