New GRE Test Scores are up.

kolja00

The diagnostics tool is working for me as of today. I took the test Sept 29 (but you put in "Sept 11"; 11 for the year the test was taken in.

What I learned: I SUCK at GRE words. Reading comprehension sections: 19/20. Text Completion and Sentence Equivalent: 10/20 (7/10 on first section, 3/10 in the second section.) Still netted me 89th percentile (more than I needed). I even am more proud of my score just an indicator that I need to expand my vocabulary? :/

Edited by nechalo

I took the test October 10th, and just tried out the diagnostic service - for some reason the details for the verbal sections are showing up, but not the quantitative. Strange! I just get an error message that says:

Quantitative Data Error

Sorry data is missing for some section. Please try
if you need more assistance

Cute, ETS. Are you mocking me with your grammatical errors? Anyway, seeing that the questions I got wrong in the verbal sections were all difficulty level 4 or 5 is comforting somehow.

Edited by alicejcw

Has anyone took the test in November and have their official scores ? I took it on the 1st and I'm still waiting. I know the approximate date is December 1st but since people who took it at the end of October already have their scores I had some hopes...

I took mine on Nov 9 - my list of schools showed up last week, but my scores are still a no-show.

I took the exam on 11/7 and my scores were just posted ahead of the official December 1st release date.

Verbal

167; 98%

(estimate 740-800)

Quantitative

158; 79%

(estimate 710-800)

Writing

5.5; 96%

I plan to apply to programs in the humanities, so hopefully my quantitative score will be sufficient.

I took the exam on 11/7 and my scores were just posted ahead of the official December 1st release date.

Verbal

167; 98%

(estimate 740-800)

Quantitative

158; 79%

(estimate 710-800)

Writing

5.5; 96%

I plan to apply to programs in the humanities, so hopefully my quantitative score will be sufficient.

Thanks for the head's up! How did your "official scores" compare to the preliminary scores that were shown at the end of the test? Did they match exactly or did they change?

D

Thanks for the head's up! How did your "official scores" compare to the preliminary scores that were shown at the end of the test? Did they match exactly or did they change?

D

I was in the last batch of test takers who were provided a preliminary score range using the old scoring system. My verbal was estimated to be 740-800, which corresponds to a 169-170 on the concordance table, and my quantitative estimate was 710-800, which is approximately 155-166. My actual quantitative score was right in the ball park of the estimate, but my actual verbal was slightly below the preliminary range provided.

It seems that the percentile is what's going to matter most, especially during this transition to the new scoring system. So, I'm not going to fret too much about being in the 98% percentile instead of the 99% for verbal, despite the discrepancy between the estimated range and official score.

@phetish, were you given a score range or unofficial score in the new 170 system?

UGH! I took the test on 11/7 (scores are up early) and here we go:

V164/670/94% (Estimated range 700-800)

Q147/580/40% (Estimated range 520-620)

A4.5

Pretty pissed to report that the verbal estimated range was so off. I get that ETS is dealing with a new test, but it doesn't seem right that they get to give crazy score estimations for verbal and then surprise you with a lower score. Anyway, anyone who took the test around this time, I'd be wary of your verbal estimated score.

Otherwise, not going to keep myself up at night over what translates to a 1250...which is EXACTLY what I got on my SAT. Math has never been a strength, and I can always retake before PhD applications in a year or two.

@phetish, were you given a score range or unofficial score in the new 170 system?

I was given a score on the 170 scale at the end of the test - the old 800 scale wasn't even mentioned. That's why I was asking... I'm curious if the scores I got might change.

A4.5

Pretty pissed to report that the verbal estimated range was so off. I get that ETS is dealing with a new test, but it doesn't seem right that they get to give crazy score estimations for verbal and then surprise you with a lower score. Anyway, anyone who took the test around this time, I'd be wary of your verbal estimated score.

Otherwise, not going to keep myself up at night over what translates to a 1250...which is EXACTLY what I got on my SAT. Math has never been a strength, and I can always retake before PhD applications in a year or two.

I'm not sure if you saw my posting above, but we had the exact same scores on Verbal & Quant (I'm still waiting for AW, but wouldn't be surprised if it's in the 4.5 range). It seems rare to see such a huge difference between V and Q percentiles, so I'm glad there are others!

Got my results today. Took the test on the 2nd of November. I'm happy but I should have studied more. I just looked over some of the math a few days before the test and the book I was using omitted some of the topics that came up. I think it was McGraw-Hill's version. I checked the reviews on amazon just now because I wasn't sure if that was the book I used or not and they seem to raise similar issues. The problems were basic and too easy. Just thought I'd bring this to notice!

V - 165 (96%)

Q - 152 (61%)

AW - 5.5 (96%) - don't remember what the estimated ranges were...

A4.5

This is so funny because my score roughly translates to my PSAT/SAT scores as well

163/650

153/680

= 1330

PSAT =1330

SAT = 1290

This is so weird especially since I did so much better on the GRE this time than when I took it 10 years ago (Every admissions person will tell you that GRE scores are stable overtime, that's a freaking lie!!). Back then there was an Analytical section consisting of logic problems (there was no writing portion of the test- I remember being glad that I took the test before they added the writing LOL)

I was in the 90th% on the analytical section and only in the 50th% in the verbal and quant sections.

I really do think that this revision of the GRE does a better job testing math and verbal skills. The analytical writing section is a joke.

Edited by DeeLovely79

I'm not sure if you saw my posting above, but we had the exact same scores on Verbal & Quant (I'm still waiting for AW, but wouldn't be surprised if it's in the 4.5 range). It seems rare to see such a huge difference between V and Q percentiles, so I'm glad there are others!

Yeah! Some of us just aren't good at math, and we might never be. No shame! I still firmly believe that side of my brain is just busted up, because I am a pretty stellar student otherwise. Humanities, unite!

Yeah! Some of us just aren't good at math, and we might never be. No shame! I still firmly believe that side of my brain is just busted up, because I am a pretty stellar student otherwise. Humanities, unite!

No kidding. I took the test on 11/7/2011:

V 162 90% (YAY!)

M 142 19% (so bad, it's laughable!)

AW 6.0 99% (screamed and almost fell off my chair!)

And, yes, my degrees are in Humanities/Liberal Arts. I'm happy with my scores but a little concerned that the low quant will be counted against me, even applying to Humanities grad programs.

I was surprised to see that the scores were up so quickly. I commend ETS because a lot of deadlines are fast-approaching.

Q: 163 (88% = shit)

I am screwed up, no engineering college will accept me with that low Q score. Shit.

I don't think this score is as terrible as you think -- it would have been quite high on the old scale -- over 750. If the rest of your application is strong, I don't see why you would not have a good shot at getting into your programs of interest.

I wrote GRE on Nov 21st.

Q - 63 (88 percentile)

V - 52 (56 percentile - screwed)

Any idea when I will get my AWA score and official score report?

And how much does the Verbal score effects your overall profile for MS in Management Information System.

Got 5.5 yrs of work experience in IT industry and I am planning to write TOEFL.

TIA

Sat for the GRE on 11/5:

Q169 (98%) from a 750-800 projection No exact concordance reference since I'm over 94%, but would've been 800.

V167 (98%) from a 750-800 projection. V167 lines up with a 710 on the concordance table, so I came in lower than the projection here.

AWA 4.5 (72%)

Like a few other posters, the theoretical 1510 would have matched my SAT score.

Applying to MBA/MPP programs at Duke, Michigan, and Carnegie Mellon, so I couldn't be more thrilled that my projections were mostly pretty accurate!

Edited by method

Took the GRE revised 11/7/11. My ranges post-test were:

Quant. 640-740

Verbal 580-680

Final scores were:

Quant. 153 (680, 65%)

Verbal 159 (590, 84%)

AW 4.5 (72%)

I am applying for PhD programs in Sociology. Do these sound like reasonable scores for admission? Thanks for any replies!

For the Diagnostic Service, I'm a bit confused on how to log in. I never received a "GRE Registration Number".

I already posted my scores, but for comparison,

GRE: 1360

SAT: 1300

If you have a confirmation email, it's on there. That's the only way I found mine, but my diagnostic isn't available yet.

Edit: I guess my diagnostic is available.

Q169 (98%): First Section: All correct; Second Section: Missed 1 L5 Geometry

V167 (98%): First Section: Missed 1 L3 Text Completion; Second Section: Missed 1 L5 Sentence Equivalence, 2 L4 Text Completion

Edited by method