Official Admitted Thread

Hi there : )

I just joined because I am ridiculously excited ... and have been lurking your forum for far, far too long (and far, far too obsessively the last week or so!)

I just got my acceptance to HKS and am OVER THE MOON.

obviously funding is still tbd but I'm almost willing to say, however it works, it works.

I've gotten fellowship/full ride + offers to LBJ and Humphrey.

I went to random everyone is accepted state school, but got a 4.0 in urban studies policy analysis .. was published at age 25 and worked as a lobbyist in a social justice cause and now on a statewide ballot campaign with a prestigious state think tank .. I guess that's good. and was a homeless gutter punk runaway kid came out of nothing etc etc (so SOP could conceivably stand out out! while I more tend to believe it means I don't "really" belong)

I can't believe this is real. I really got into Harvard. Having worked on the inside of politics, I can say the salary and positions of people from HKS almost make no sense. and I'm there. or almost there. I almost make no sense. OMG.

(almost too excited to breathe)

do I go to LBJ for free and then some, or HKS no matter what? I'm leaning toward HKS ... has been my dream to be at Harvard since I was 10. still to hear from UCLA and Ford but it's almost laughable at this point. AHHH

(my screen name btw might have more to do with why I got in, very specific subfield of women and public policy/ combining mpp with feminist studies and HKS is the only place that does it to a respectable degree .. yay!)

[edited from too much celebratory sake + spelling]

If t's been your dream.. then Harvard it is!! :D

Huge Congrats!

Got into SIPA :) wow. seriously don't know what to think. I didn't think i was competitive at all but got into 3 of the 3 schools I applied to... Shaking at the moment. Good luck to all and thank you!

Are the SIPA MPA/DP results out yet?

My wait is coming to an end soon. Waiting to hear from Stanford IPS and UMich Ford School. Up until now, I get into LBJ($$), Duke Sanford($), Harris($), and GPPI (TBD). Out at Princeton and Harvard. But given that I'm an international student straight out of undergrad with no work experience, I don't think I can ask for much more!!!

In fact, I'm coming to UChicago to be with my boyfriend of 2 years. Our long-distance relationship has finally come to an end hurray!!!

I dunno if it would work out at SAIS or ESIA, but you could probably swing that at Korbel with roommates and you could definitely make it work in Pittsburgh with roommates - it would be tight if you lived alone though. I have two friends in Pittsburgh currently (one for GSPIA, one a diff grad program). Friend A has two roommates (she met on a facebook group for admitted students) and pays something like $350/month in rent for a 3 bedroom apt in a popular area. Friend B lives alone and pays $700 a month in rent (but I am sure you could find cheaper, she has a nice little place). So thats definitely more difficult. Friend B also used to live in Denver - she didn't live downtown but my impression is you should be able to find a place for $400-600/month with roommates.

That said, a lot of people find jobs so if you worked 10 hrs a week for $10/hr, you have an extra $400/month.

But got admitted unconditionally at ESIA, Josef Korbel DU, and GSPIA Pittsburgh.

I already got a sponsor to pay my tuition (limitless), but I am short in living allowance (only USD 1k/mo).

I already got a sponsor to pay my tuition (limitless), but I am short in living allowance (only USD 1k/mo).

Why would your sponsor be willing to provide limitless tuition money and little living allowance? Does your sponsor not understand how important 'living' is to the completion of your degree? lol.

Do you have to pay rent out of that $1k? If so, almost any metro area in the US is going to be difficult to impossible.

Yeah. I think so. Hopefully my sponsor will raise the stipend in case I choose DC.

I dunno if it would work out at SAIS or ESIA, but you could probably swing that at Korbel with roommates and you could definitely make it work in Pittsburgh with roommates - it would be tight if you lived alone though. I have two friends in Pittsburgh currently (one for GSPIA, one a diff grad program). Friend A has two roommates (she met on a facebook group for admitted students) and pays something like $350/month in rent for a 3 bedroom apt in a popular area. Friend B lives alone and pays $700 a month in rent (but I am sure you could find cheaper, she has a nice little place). So thats definitely more difficult. Friend B also used to live in Denver - she didn't live downtown but my impression is you should be able to find a place for $400-600/month with roommates.

That said, a lot of people find jobs so if you worked 10 hrs a week for $10/hr, you have an extra $400/month.

Thank you for the valuable info @K.Ash.

In case the stipend is raised, I will put my focus more on the program strength rather than how to survive. So, the map will be SAIS MA-Energy, Resources and Environment VS ESIA MA-International Affairs (I want to study economic growth through energy independency and debt relief).

Why would your sponsor be willing to provide limitless tuition money and little living allowance? Does your sponsor not understand how important 'living' is to the completion of your degree? lol.

Well, the problem with my government (I am government sponsored) is that they believe their awardee could survive with those limited stipend (very darwinian aren't they?). Yet, rumors saying that they will raise the stipend according to some kind of city indices #crossingfinger

Yeah. I think so. Hopefully my sponsor will raise the stipend in case I choose DC. Thank you for the valuable info @K.Ash. In case the stipend is raised, I will put my focus more on the program strength rather than how to survive. So, the map will be SAIS MA-Energy, Resources and Environment VS ESIA MA-International Affairs (I want to study economic growth through energy independency and debt relief). Well, the problem with my government (I am government sponsored) is that they believe their awardee could survive with those limited stipend (very darwinian aren't they?). Yet, rumors saying that they will raise the stipend according to some kind of city indices #crossingfinger

It would make sense if it was based on an cost of living index, and the $1k is the average. I hope it works out for you!

Can someone de-mystify the waitlist process (specifically at SAIS)?

Their letter said that decisions would be made in June or July, but isn't that terrifyingly late for type-A grad students who need to set their lives up? I tried to mine the forums, but it wasn't clear if decisions were ever made earlier than that.

On the other hand, can you accept an offer, pay the $250 deposit, and then accept a different offer if you're pulled off the waitlist?

Also, great username/post combo:

right? now I realized, uh oh.....i have to make a decision.

@Coloradical--I just called SAIS admissions and got clarification on the waitlist.

Basically, the waitlist is a secondary pool of applicants. AFTER MAY 1, once they know how many open slots are available in the Fall 2012 class, they will go through the waitlist pool and select people to offer slots to. That's why they say that you might not get a response until June or July--if you aren't in the first group off the waitlist, but not all of them accept and there are still slots open, you might get an offer in the 2nd wave of waitlist offers. You need to respond by May 1 in order to retain your spot in the waitlist pool, so they aren't in the position of selecting someone who has accepted another school's offer. However, for us this means that we won't find out if we're off waitlist before we have to decide whether to attend another school and at that point, you get into the murky situation of potentially de-committing at a school in order to attend another one.

Goodness gracious, I got into SIPA this morning! Totally floored, and now very, very confused. I was all set to accept a full tuition fellowship to LBJ. I am from Texas and everything told me I'd be a perfect fit for LBJ, but the resources/faculty/brand at Columbia is difficult to turn down!

Am I crazy to pick Texas (full ride) over Columbia (no $) ? Would also be turning down Sanford and Harris... this is hard!!

@Coloradical--I just called SAIS admissions and got clarification on the waitlist.

You rock! This is super helpful, though I do begin to worry about financial commitment and logistics. Hopefully MSFS pulls through and it won't be an issue!

Goodness gracious, I got into SIPA this morning! Totally floored, and now very, very confused. I was all set to accept a full tuition fellowship to LBJ. I am from Texas and everything told me I'd be a perfect fit for LBJ, but the resources/faculty/brand at Columbia is difficult to turn down!

Am I crazy to pick Texas (full ride) over Columbia (no $) ? Would also be turning down Sanford and Harris... this is hard!!

As a native Texan, I don't think you're crazy at all! I think a lot of it depends on what you're looking for. What's your focus within IR? How important is the private sector/UN connection?

If you are willing to take more than 90K worth in debt in student loans to incld the average rent price costing near $1650 a month then go for it I'm a firm believer that APSIA schools have great networks and each school has its perks but I refuse to pay fr graduate or law degrees but others don't care it's all personal decision making and future planning for your future career and how much you will ,make to pay your debt off and live comfortably

Has anyone who wa accepted for the Georgetown MA in government program heard about financial aid or $$ yet? Especially any international students. I have been told by others that they prefer you to do student employment. Anyone got insight?

Hi there : )

I just joined because I am ridiculously excited ... and have been lurking your forum for far, far too long (and far, far too obsessively the last week or so!)

I just got my acceptance to HKS and am OVER THE MOON.

obviously funding is still tbd but I'm almost willing to say, however it works, it works.

I've gotten fellowship/full ride + offers to LBJ and Humphrey.

I went to random everyone is accepted state school, but got a 4.0 in urban studies policy analysis .. was published at age 25 and worked as a lobbyist in a social justice cause and now on a statewide ballot campaign with a prestigious state think tank .. I guess that's good. and was a homeless gutter punk runaway kid came out of nothing etc etc (so SOP could conceivably stand out out! while I more tend to believe it means I don't "really" belong)

I can't believe this is real. I really got into Harvard. Having worked on the inside of politics, I can say the salary and positions of people from HKS almost make no sense. and I'm there. or almost there. I almost make no sense. OMG.

(almost too excited to breathe)

do I go to LBJ for free and then some, or HKS no matter what? I'm leaning toward HKS ... has been my dream to be at Harvard since I was 10. still to hear from UCLA and Ford but it's almost laughable at this point. AHHH

(my screen name btw might have more to do with why I got in, very specific subfield of women and public policy/ combining mpp with feminist studies and HKS is the only place that does it to a respectable degree .. yay!)

[edited from too much celebratory sake + spelling]

this is just great. thanks for sharing!

Just wanted to wish good luck to everyone waiting on SFS! I was in your shoes last year, and will be joining whomever gets in as a first-year this fall, since I deferred my admission last year. Hope to see all of you on the Hill!

Edited by Meg11

Hi all,

Thought I'd post after lurking on here for a while. I'm in at American, GW, GPPI, NYU Wagner and UPenn Fels - and, of course, weighing the financial aspects. I've heard financial offers from Wagner, and I know Fels is planning to release everything via email tomorrow (3/15) - - but any word on when AU, GW or GPPI might let accepted students know about any merit awards, etc.? Has anyone heard?

Congrats all on acceptances to date!