Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

I'm beginning to think that the professors don't even really know how it works, either. So many I've spoken to have told me they don't ever get their first choice students, or they don't know how the adcoms make selections. Um...but you guys are on the inside!!! Someone has to know how it works!!!

This makes me picture the adcom as just a group of evil masterminds, making arbitrary decisions with the sole purpose of causing the most frustration.

claw1.jpg

So this isn't directly related to graduate school admissions, but is related to graduation...which for me, I hope to have a place in grad school before graduating!

I was talking to our department secretary (who is a friend of mine) about how I didn't want to graduate and leave the department, because everyone is fantastic here...short background on me - paranoid of failure/disappointing people, etc.

"I don't want to leave...I'll miss it here."

"You know...if you stay here, it's because you failed something. Just sayin'."

"...good point."

I am suddenly more excited (albeit nervous still) about graduation. Mentor is excited to see me walk, as is my family. I don't want to walk..I hate pomp and circumstance and the like. But...I'll do it for them, I guess.

This makes me picture the adcom as just a group of evil masterminds, making arbitrary decisions with the sole purpose of causing the most frustration.

claw1.jpg

This is exactly what I picture. And thank you for the old school reference!!!

"Oh it'll be so nice to have a doctor in the family. What kind of medicine are you going to specialize in?"

"Not medicine, clinical psychology."

"Oh... *awkward pause* ... why couldn't you just be a real doctor?"

"You're studying clinical psychology? Why don't you use *insert family member here* as a case study?"

"I'm studying criminals so unless they're planning on going to prison..."

"Oh like CSI?!?!"

*facepalm*

"I don't know why you're worrying so much."

"Who cares that you haven't heard anything? You'll get in."

Or my personal favorite: "You think this is stressful? Wait until you get into the real world..." <-- facepalm. 

End of the day:  :blink:

Applied (8/8): Yale, Rutgers, CUNY / John Jay, Fordham, St. John's, Drexel, George Mason, LIU
Interviewed (0/8)

Accepted (0/8): 
Rejected (0/8)
Waitlisted (0/8)

"You're studying clinical psychology? Why don't you use *insert family member here* as a case study?"

"I'm studying criminals so unless they're planning on going to prison..."

"Oh like CSI?!?!"

*facepalm*

Obviously that family member hasn't seen Criminal Minds... :lol:

"Oh you're applying to neuroscience programs? My [insert relative] has [insert neurological condition].  you should try to cure that"

I've been asked to cure alzheimer's, schizophrenia, parkinson's, and brain cancer so far...none of which are related to my research

Lately, nearly everybody has been asking me if I'm feeling okay.  I know what they mean, but it makes me feel like I have begun to resemble a Victorian consumptive: pale and wan and not long for the world.

7 year old I nanny: "I'm going to show you your life in one year." Rips a napkin to shreds. I mean, he really doesn't know the emotional trauma he just caused but it really hurt.
Kids can be horrible!

Lately, nearly everybody has been asking me if I'm feeling okay.  I know what they mean, but it makes me feel like I have begun to resemble a Victorian consumptive: pale and wan and not long for the world.

7 year old I nanny: "I'm going to show you your life in one year." Rips a napkin to shreds.

I mean, he really doesn't know the emotional trauma he just caused but it really hurt.

I can't stop LOLing...

wow... it's come to this. Sadly, we can all relate. Virtual hugs. OOOOO

I am so sick of hearing "You got this!" From friends and family. What part of only 25 selected out of 3000+ applications don't they understand!!!

I called someone out on this, actually. I gave them a direct quote of number of applicants and number of admissions from one of my POIs with whom I spoke just before Christmas. When I called them out, they said they thought I was exaggerating (which, in their defense, I often do). So I explained that these were actual numbers. I'm sure they still didn't fully grasp what's happening, but my crazy came out a bit and they have stopped telling me I'll definitely get in. So maybe that's what's happening across the board? Suspicions of exaggeration?

My mom: "even if you don't get in anywhere this year, simply being at the point to apply to competitive programs is impressive."

...anyone can apply. Granted, I have put in a lot of work to be what I consider a "competitive" applicant, but simply being able to apply means nothing.

My mom: "even if you don't get in anywhere this year, simply being at the point to apply to competitive programs is impressive."

...anyone can apply. Granted, I have put in a lot of work to be what I consider a "competitive" applicant, but simply being able to apply means nothing.

I've heard this one, too. That's when I explained that another POI told me approximately 50% of the applications are garbage. (Or something along those lines.)

I am so sick of hearing "You got this!" From friends and family. What part of only 25 selected out of 3000+ applications don't they understand!!!

I think the 3000 applicants is actually for the entire school. Not just EDLD, if that makes you feel better. The gap just closed a bit... I know, I know. Not enough...lol

I think the 3000 applicants is actually for the entire school. Not just EDLD, if that makes you feel better. The gap just closed a bit... I know, I know. Not enough...lol
Lol :) it helps a lil! Thanks! Still believing it's possible!

7 year old I nanny: "I'm going to show you your life in one year." Rips a napkin to shreds.

I mean, he really doesn't know the emotional trauma he just caused but it really hurt.

I hope these people pay you well. (Rest assured knowing that you have made my morning with this--I was laughing so hard!)

That's been my problem. One of the programs I applied to has only one person doing research that I'm suited for, and she is taking on one new grad student. The program normally receives over 1,000 applications each year. So when one of my friends just said, "I already know you're getting in, so congratulations!" I just sighed and reined in the crazy. I've given up trying to explain.

That's been my problem. One of the programs I applied to has only one person doing research that I'm suited for, and she is taking on one new grad student. The program normally receives over 1,000 applications each year. So when one of my friends just said, "I already know you're getting in, so congratulations!" I just sighed and reined in the crazy. I've given up trying to explain.

Now that I've /been/ accepted, my (crazy) mother is trying to spout words of wisdom, etcetc. I've finally told her that she has no idea what she's talking about and to please stop. She gets all offended (as one would) and is trying to convince me she knows about how to handle TA/RAship awards, etcetc. She does know more about housing switching and whatnot, but she's trying to pressure me to live on campus (would rather not) and just in general being annoying. I need funding to go to school, so while an acceptance is great, I need to know about funding before getting /too/ excited.

My mom has said the exact same thing - how proud she is of me for applying to such competitive schools. Similar to you, I've put a lot of work into this application cycle, so I think she's probably referring to that for the most part, but it's still frustrating! I suppose it's better to have overly supportive parents than disapproving ones, though.

so i don't really tell others what i am doing. my relatives talk about some rumor based on "biology" in family gathering and don't really realize that i have anything to do with the topic. i mean even i get into the program i will just say " i am going to study abroad and will inform you when i come back, bye". and as a matter of fact i live independently and it is not necessary for me to explain anything. maybe this is a way to avoid those awkward scenario. anyway if you manage to let them understand that is awesome as they can support you mentally. that is very important in my pov.

My mom: "even if you don't get in anywhere this year, simply being at the point to apply to competitive programs is impressive." ...anyone can apply. Granted, I have put in a lot of work to be what I consider a "competitive" applicant, but simply being able to apply means nothing.
To be fair, a lot of people don't even get a bachelor's degree, which is a prerequisite to applying, let alone have a good gpa. Most people I know outside of school aren't eligible to apply. So in one sense, she's kinda right (and we should all be proud, while feeling very, very fortunate) . On the other hand, I feel your frustration, because it's not that impressive from this vantage point.

To be fair, a lot of people don't even get a bachelor's degree, which is a prerequisite to applying, let alone have a good gpa. Most people I know outside of school aren't eligible to apply. So in one sense, she's kinda right (and we should all be proud, while feeling very, very fortunate) . On the other hand, I feel your frustration, because it's not that impressive from this vantage point.
Thank you for the perspective! We often take for granted things that are a normal part of our lives. You are very right, there are loads of people who can't even apply to undergrad much less grad! Congratulations to us all for getting this far!