Am I the only one not freaking out??

unitname

Not that I think I'm going to get in everywhere, I really don't...

But...I'm just not that worried about it. I feel like my life would be so amazing if I got in this year and started Grad School in the fall. I know I will end up in Grad School no matter what...so I just feel like, whatever happens, happens. I tried my best and that's that.

After reading a lot of these entries I feel that I am a minority in not freaking out. Again, its not because I'm over-confident, I guess it may just be that I don't invest too much in possible life-changing events in fear of being let down.

Who knows..

just a thought. Good luck everyone =)

Agreed! You should feel lucky you aren't freaking out! This is my second time applying, and last year I was a lot calmer. Things change. But since it is out of our control, there really is no point in obsessing, so good for you!

(I wish I wasn't)

Agreed! You should feel lucky you aren't freaking out! This is my second time applying, and last year I was a lot calmer. Things change. But since it is out of our control, there really is no point in obsessing, so good for you!

(I wish I wasn't)

Second time round here and I'm a lot less stressed. It would make for some very tough choices if I don't get in anywhere, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Meanwhile it's out of my hands, 6 weeks to go and regardless I'm visiting good friends in the US two months from now. Until then, on with the day job.

In my case, I think my stress level comes from wanting to move on, change jobs and the like. Becoming a professor would be my first choice, but I need to wait, basically 2 application cycles to find out if that might ever be a reality. I could just leave and find some other job, but not really until I know how the first plan plays out.

I'm not too neurotic (yet, anyway), but I'm a little bit obsessive just because I know that if I don't get accepted anywhere, I'll need to come up with another plan for the next year. Like, I tell myself it's okay that I'm waitressing with a college degree because it's just temporary. But if I don't get in...well, it's hard for anyone to find a job right now. So yes, the future does worry me a little. I don't want to keep feeling like my life's on hold.

I'm not too neurotic (yet, anyway), but I'm a little bit obsessive just because I know that if I don't get accepted anywhere, I'll need to come up with another plan for the next year. Like, I tell myself it's okay that I'm waitressing with a college degree because it's just temporary. But if I don't get in...well, it's hard for anyone to find a job right now. So yes, the future does worry me a little. I don't want to keep feeling like my life's on hold.

I TOTALLY TOTALLY AGREE!!! Although I'm not "freaking out" about app decisions, I am definitely worried about next year. I want a change so badly that I don't even want to believe that there's a possibility I won't get in, so I don't. I guess that's why I am so calm.

Hey, Starbuck's ain't cuttin' either. I need a new life.

I think if I had found this forum earlier I probably would have freaked out. I think Gradcafe creates stress and insanity. The only stressful part of my application process last year was deciding which offer to pick (not to sound like an arrogant person, but it's true). If I had been on here earlier I would have for sure started doubting myself.

But...I'm just not that worried about it. I feel like my life would be so amazing if I got in this year and started Grad School in the fall. I know I will end up in Grad School no matter what...so I just feel like, whatever happens, happens. I tried my best and that's that.

After reading a lot of these entries I feel that I am a minority in not freaking out. Again, its not because I'm over-confident, I guess it may just be that I don't invest too much in possible life-changing events in fear of being let down.

Who knows..

I'm in a similar boat. Maybe its from my former job where stress was more to do w/life or death situations that has sort of made me like that guy from officeSpace. I still care

Who knows..

I'm in a similar boat. Maybe its from my former job where stress was more to do w/life or death situations that has sort of made me like that guy from officeSpace. I still care

Who knows..

I'm in a similar boat. Maybe its from my former job where stress was more to do w/life or death situations that has sort of made me like that guy from Office Space but I still care if I get in or not. This isn't to poo poo on those suffering stress b/c obviously this is your future on the line here, the rest of your life etc. The only time I get close to being worried is when I think about all the sacrifices I must make & that is kinda sucky but such is life I suppose? :-)

Edited by oseirus

I'm in a similar boat. Maybe its from my former job where stress was more to do w/life or death situations that has sort of made me like that guy from Office Space but I still care if I get in or not. This isn't to poo poo on those suffering stress b/c obviously this is your future on the line here, the rest of your life etc. The only time I get close to being worried is when I think about all the sacrifices I must make & that is kinda sucky but such is life I suppose? :-)

Your tolerance for fear and stress must be much higher. I'm assuming you went through a "if I can do that, I can do anything" breakthrough quite a few times. I can respect that. Everything else must seem much more attainable.

I'm not freaking out, not about this anyway. Though I would like to know my results.

Oddly, trial-by-fire of the sort that oseirus is talking about doesn't make me less likely to freak out about comparatively petty stuff. It just makes me wonder if I'm psychologically broken for getting more upset over the comparatively petty stuff than the serious stuff. In this case, though, I went through grad apps before with my MS apps, and with a failed round of apps long ago. So I had a good idea what to expect.

I'm finding that when I am busy, I am not freaking out, but those times where I have some free time is when I start having my moments. But I have to say that with some people, having this sense of panic can be seen as a good thing. Just in case the worst happens, it might have been good to have the panic to make a plan B. This is all of course dependent on the person. It works for some, not for others. Some people respond well under pressure. I think that what gets to people is all the waiting. At the same time I keep reminding myself that I don't want them to rush a descision on me. I want them to take their time, see me as a real candidate and accept me. Sure everyone wants then to look at their application and immediately say, "This one is a keeper!", but I think with most applications, and most schools, that probably won't happen very often.

I'm not freaking out, not about this anyway. Though I would like to know my results.

Oddly, trial-by-fire of the sort that oseirus is talking about doesn't make me less likely to freak out about comparatively petty stuff. It just makes me wonder if I'm psychologically broken for getting more upset over the comparatively petty stuff than the serious stuff. In this case, though, I went through grad apps before with my MS apps, and with a failed round of apps long ago. So I had a good idea what to expect.

At this point I think I'm a step away from not caring anymore because if they say I'm waitlisted or something even worse then I have to wait till 15 Apr 12 or even furrther down the road. I feel terrible about it though. Then again coming on here allows me to still care, because you see so many people passionate and concerned, kind of inspires you.