Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Yes, congrats! UW is my first choice - being in limbo is driving me crazy.

edit:  saw my question was answered while I was typing it!

The same here!

I hope we'll have some news soon!

Hey, I was admitted to Northwestern and Notre Dame for political theory, as well as a few schools in philosophy. I have a tough decision ahead of me and was wondering if anyone else who was admitted to or applied to these schools in particular could discuss some pros and cons, why they applied, etc.

thank you in advance!

Whichever school announces, I hope we get admits and rejections on the same day. This limbo is killing me. 

Princeton and Yale usually send out rejections shortly after acceptances. What I've learned from last year’s application cycle is that almost always no news is bad news.

Princeton and Yale usually send out rejections shortly after acceptances. What I've learned from last year’s application cycle is that almost always no news is bad news.

That's crushing for somebody who applied for the first time and has not heard back at all.

Also what is up with Duke? I have send them an email asking about my status and no response...

That's crushing for somebody who applied for the first time and has not heard back at all.

Also what is up with Duke? I have send them an email asking about my status and no response...

The thing is that they want to notify quickly as they invite people to the prospective students visit. Thus, once other people received acceptances it is very likely that you were either rejected or on a waitlist. However, there are some schools that seem to notify in waves or during several days (Yale is such an example and it seems that Northwestern and UCI are doing the same).

Worried about Northwestern - anyone else getting the suspicion that they're done with admits?

Unfortunately, I feel the same way. I think if we don't hear anything from them by the end of this week, we can assume the worse (though there is always hope until you receive the official rejection). 

Is it your top choice?

Well, it's definitely a dream school, which means that I cannot make any decision until I know that I will not make it...

But I feel very honored that they put me on the waitlist.

Unfortunately, I feel the same way. I think if we don't hear anything from them by the end of this week, we can assume the worse (though there is always hope until you receive the official rejection). 

Yeah, I would bet they are pretty much done with admits. More people have already posted accepts than did last year, and as with last year there have been no wait-lists. 

So I have not yet heard anything from Upenn, and looking back at this discussion, it seems as if adittance letters were already sent out. Does this mean that all hope is lost for me?

I gave UChicago a call to see what was going on there and the administrator said that not all decisions had gone out yet and that we'll likely hear by the end of the week and at the very very very latest beginning of next week.

Just in case anyone else was wondering.

I gave UChicago a call to see what was going on there and the administrator said that not all decisions had gone out yet and that we'll likely hear by the end of the week and at the very very very latest beginning of next week.

Thanks for the info. By "decisions" they probably mean CIR/MAPSS though right?

That's my thinking - and probably along with those acceptances another round of rejections. We shall see.

For me I was more curious if they'd forgotten my name on the rejections email - that happened with Cornell so I guess if by Wednesday next week we haven't heard anything we'll have to check again.

Edited by rkmattson

Thanks! I haven't heard from them yet too! 

The way this cycle is going, I'd actually jump at MAPSS/CIR.