Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I still haven't heard from them.

We've had serious SNAFUs with confirming rejections. In general, if you haven't heard from us, you're not in :-(.*  

However, we've had a few additional admissions over the last few days, and that might be what this is referring to. Again, if you want info, feel free to email me <<dhn2 @ my school's email>>.

*Have I mentioned how much I don't enjoy this job? It isn't fun to tell interesting -- and often qualified -- students that they've been rejected. 

We've had serious SNAFUs with confirming rejections. In general, if you haven't heard from us, you're not in :-(.*  

An announcement on gradcafe is still more/better communication than I/others have received from some schools :(.  (sincerely) thanks for keeping us updated, i'll say again how much i appreciate you and the other faculty (and currently attending students) who have made this process slightly less painful by keeping us informed and answering questions where you can.  

*Have I mentioned how much I don't enjoy this job? It isn't fun to tell interesting -- and often qualified -- students that they've been rejected. 

+1

However, we've had a few additional admissions over the last few days, and that might be what this is referring to. Again, if you want info, feel free to email me <<dhn2 @ my school's email>>.

^ It's not fun on the other side either :P

For anyone still waiting on UC Riverside, offers are being made this week. I just received my offer earlier today. I think those are all the UCs now right?

Congrats UC Riverside!

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask all of you a question.

We've recently been contacted by a student who informs us that USC will withdraw its offer of admission if it is not accepted by March 25. USC is a signatory to the Council of Graduate Schools' Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants, which specifies that "Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution."

Is anyone willing to confirm that USC has violated the CGS' Resolution by demanding acceptance of an offer prior to April 15? If so, would you be willing to provide me with the name of the individual from whom the communication to that effect has come?

I'm not asking you to shame them publicly, though I have no problem if that's what you choose to do. I'd be equally happy to receive DMs. If other programs are doing this as well, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask all of you a question.

We've recently been contacted by a student who informs us that USC will withdraw its offer of admission if it is not accepted by March 25. USC is a signatory to the Council of Graduate Schools' Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants, which specifies that "Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution."

Is anyone willing to confirm that USC has violated the CGS' Resolution by demanding acceptance of an offer prior to April 15? If so, would you be willing to provide me with the name of the individual from whom the communication to that effect has come?

I'm not asking you to shame them publicly, though I have no problem if that's what you choose to do. I'd be equally happy to receive DMs. If other programs are doing this as well, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I dont know if this is common practice, but schools do "pressure" applicants to accept offers before April 15, to get the waitlist moving.

I dont know if this is common practice, but schools do "pressure" applicants to accept offers before April 15, to get the waitlist moving.

How legit that is depends on the degree of pressure.

"Please let us know sooner rather than later" = totally legit.

"We are withdrawing your offer if you don't sign before (some date before April 15) = NOT COOL.  :angry:

"We are withdrawing your offer if you don't sign before (some date before April 15) = NOT COOL.   :angry:

While I agree, uncool, the language in the CGS resolution suggests it applies only to financial support/funding.  If an applicant was admitted without funding, the school could set any arbitrary pre-4/15 commitment date they wanted, yes?    Though that seems like an easy way to circumvent the resolution, require a commitment early THEN offer funding to accept/decline by 4/15...