Applications for Fall 2013!

I actually had the same experience last week, sherms31! Not sure why the receptionist told me I could get a one week extension but when I emailed they said they would not grant any extension. Yes, we could put down a deposit but that is kinda expensive. I probably will end up declining BU's offer.

Probably should have called them back and told them not to falsely advertise ha.  I really liked BU today when I went to visit, so I may accept.  Wishing more than anything I had applied to Columbia now.

Congrats! When did you hear back from Columbia? Columbia is my #1 choice but I thought they weren't sending out admission decisions until the first week of March

I heard back Thursday evening via email/admissions portal. I'm sure you'll hear back soon. Let me know if you decide to go.

Hey guys I have a question: I applied to fordham on 01/06 and mailed in my supplemental documents that same day. According to the tracking I put it was received by 01/08. My vip page still doesn't say complete. Should I be worried? It's been like two weeks or so and I have yet to hear anything of this status update. All I get is, "check periodically". My concern is how do I know it was received. Does anyone have any feedback?

Probably should have called them back and told them not to falsely advertise ha.  I really liked BU today when I went to visit, so I may accept.  Wishing more than anything I had applied to Columbia now.

Yeah I liked BU a lot too when I visited. What did you think of Penn? I was accepted there as well. 

I just visited BC today. The campus was really nice but just a little far away from the city. I didn't see many people walking around since it was Saturday but I wonder what it look like on a week day. For those of you that got accepted into the BC program, what do you think? I accepted into NYU and UPenn as well so I'm having difficulty deciding where to go... 

Hey guys I have a question: I applied to fordham on 01/06 and mailed in my supplemental documents that same day. According to the tracking I put it was received by 01/08. My vip page still doesn't say complete. Should I be worried? It's been like two weeks or so and I have yet to hear anything of this status update. All I get is, "check periodically". My concern is how do I know it was received. Does anyone have any feedback?

Hey there! I applied on 12/21.. emailed them on 1/31 and said I would hear in 2 weeks, but as of today, NADA! So, don't be too concerned. It looks like they are taking longer than they originally thought they would take.

Nope, not yet! Anxiously waiting to hear back...My application was complete and sent for review on January 24th so I probably won't here for another week or so.. Is that one of your first choices as well?

Yeah, Columbia is my first choice. As long as I get a good financial aid package, i'm pretty sure i'll be going there.

I just got into SDSU :-)

Congrats!! When did you apply?? And did you apply for advanced standing? When I last called them they told me if it was for the regular program that I wouldn't hear back till April! So you heard back super early! Congrats though!!

I applied Oct 15th and it was complete October 20th. It was for the regular two year program. I was very very very overzealous and wanted to go there. Then, on the 25th of October I found out the military was moving me to the east coast, thus the reason why I applied to schools over there. Now somebody on the waiting list will be able to get my spot, so its a win-win. Good luck to you :-D

Yeah, Columbia is my first choice. As long as I get a good financial aid package, i'm pretty sure i'll be going there.
Well congrats on getting, hopefully we will be classmates and I get in as well. The wait is killing me, I have not heard and decisions from any of my schools......I'm vey anxious! I'm hoping any day now I will hear from one of them!

Hey!  Can I ask when you applied to UIC?

My application was complete on January 7th. But then I had to fix a few things the first week of February. When I called to fix the mistake, they told me that day they were reviewing my application (Around Feb 4th or 5th). The letter was sent about a week after that.

I just visited Fordham again to pay my deposit and send in feild placement forms/resumes.. I spoke to the financial aid office, and the advisor approved me for 5,016$ per year based on my FAFSA EFC. I think an efc under 10,000 and they give this standard amount, enough for 6 credits I think it is. I did the math, and Fordham (with the 5,016 per year) ends up being about 10,000$ cheaper than NYU with the fees included in both and an 8,000$ per year scholorship applied toward the NYU estimate. $10,000 extra doesn't seem justifiable, especially when that 10,000$ is going to be charged interest!! So I'm like 99% sure that I'm going to Fordham! The staff at Fordham were extremely helpful and nice. Registration starts in May and I'm excited, and totally nervous! Good luck to all still waiting, and congrats to those who got accepted already! Anyone else with final decisions?

Edited by SammR

My application was complete on January 7th. But then I had to fix a few things the first week of February. When I called to fix the mistake, they told me that day they were reviewing my application (Around Feb 4th or 5th). The letter was sent about a week after that.

Great!  I submitted my final document on Jan. 14th-ish (the financial form), so hopefully I'll be hearing soon!  Thanks for the info!

Congrats to all of those who have been accepted and good luck/have strength to all of those still playing the waiting game!

I was wondering what people were thinking to finance this MSW adventure...what kind of jobs will you be applying to?

I'm thinking about being a graduate student instructor (TA) but I'm unsure if I'll be able to make the time commitment.

Thoughts? :)

I was getting curious/antsy about the looming admissions notifications so I contacted the Social Welfare Dept at UC Berkeley. For some reason I had been under the impression that they notifications would go out on or around March 4th, but I was just told over the phone that the decisions won't go out until March 18th. Now I'm wondering why I thought March 4th meant something.

I know it's only a few weeks difference but the days sure do seem long right now... Is there anyone else on this forum who applied to Berkeley and was similarly misinformed?

Hi NKH, I got an email last week saying the decisions (for MSW only) will be emailed March 18-22. It looks like you're applying to the concurrent MSW/MPH program...maybe MPH notifies earlier? It's also possible that they were hoping to notify earlier but are taking longer than expected.

Hey Dida, thanks for the response. It occurred to me that the reason I was under the impression of an early March deadline had to do with an email I received from the SW Dept in early February. It was specific to the concurrent program and made reference to an early March notification. Perhaps that was just them being overly optimistic. I suppose it's not a big deal for me since it's the only program I applied to and I'll either get in or I won't. But I still can't help counting the days... Good luck to you. Perhaps we'll be classmates in the fall.

My heart goes out to everyone who's weighing their options while waiting for the acceptance/denial letters to trickle in.

I just visited Fordham again to pay my deposit and send in feild placement forms/resumes.. I spoke to the financial aid office, and the advisor approved me for 5,016$ per year based on my FAFSA EFC. I think an efc under 10,000 and they give this standard amount, enough for 6 credits I think it is. I did the math, and Fordham (with the 5,016 per year) ends up being about 10,000$ cheaper than NYU with the fees included in both and an 8,000$ per year scholorship applied toward the NYU estimate. $10,000 extra doesn't seem justifiable, especially when that 10,000$ is going to be charged interest!! So I'm like 99% sure that I'm going to Fordham! The staff at Fordham were extremely helpful and nice. Registration starts in May and I'm excited, and totally nervous! Good luck to all still waiting, and congrats to those who got accepted already! Anyone else with final decisions?

Congratsssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted into UNC Chapel Hill and SDSU this week! Is anyone else headed to UNC this fall?

If you can tell me how it is to live in North Carolina (as I am from San Diego), that would be great!

Good luck to everyone still waiting for responses!

I applied to CSULA, CSUN, USC and UCLA and have been accepted to CSULA so far. Waiting on the others. I just signed my committment letter yesterday and returned it to CSULA because from all that I read across the threads and from professors with experience, the prestige schools don't necessarily promise anyhing better. I'm wondering how others feel about the price of a graduate degree?

Edited by CCR1

Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted into UNC Chapel Hill and SDSU this week! Is anyone else headed to UNC this fall?

If you can tell me how it is to live in North Carolina (as I am from San Diego), that would be great!

Good luck to everyone still waiting for responses!

I'll be going to UNC as well! That area of NC is wonderful... quirky, local area vibes mixed with other areas that are more commercial. Everyone is very friendly.  :D

Yeah I liked BU a lot too when I visited. What did you think of Penn? I was accepted there as well. 

I haven't heard great things about Penn's program (from people I know who have gone there or know people who have), plus the price is outrageous in my opinion.  Also, I'm looking to leave Philadelphia.  I would say going to visit would be really helpful

Has anyone heard anything from the University of Washington?

No, not yet. If you applied to the early action deadline, then we should know either today or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow). They said that all early action applicants would know by february. Many of us have contacted them asking about it and they said at the end of the month. It's sort of aggravating to wait until the last possible day. :angry: