MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

thanks hdsl :)  I applied to Indiana University Bloomington and Herron (IUPUI), both for printmaking.  my husband and i just bought a house (and won't be selling it anytime soon) so my circle of schools I could attend is very small-- fortunately it includes two I really want to attend, in any case!

I received email of acceptance to interview at Yale for sculpture :). Has anyone else heard from any other schools in the north east?(Columbia, Hunter, Boston)? 

Congrats! I still have to apply to BU myself,  but their deadline isnt until feb 15. They dont do interviews so don't expect to hear anything until end of Feb-March.

Got a call from UCSB about 3 weeks ago saying they accepted me! Still haven't received anything funding wise from them. I know that they said they were 'going to give funding first to non cali residents, as it is more expensive for them' and then I should expect some sort of package. Not sure if I should feel good that the professor was so open about how the funding process works, or should be worried that their response wasn't 'don't you worry, we want you! we'll take care of you!'

Glad to hear some people are hearing back from SAIC. I'm a little bummed I haven't heard back from them. 

If you question had been can i work outside the department that accepted me --YES. You can be admitted in painting and make sculpture the whole time. You can be admitted in printmaking and do performance the whole time. But you asked one layer deeper and the answer is that they are more than willing for you to work across departments they expect it and foster it.

Its even prevalent in undergrad.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information! Definitely excited about knowing I am positively accepted to at least one program, since I didn't really apply to backup schools - just to the five that I knew really excited me. Phew.

And aethiryn, I wouldn't be too worried yet. I only got the call yesterday, so I would guess they still might be working through them. I almost didn't pick up given it was a Sunday night and an unknown number. Crazy.

Congrats! I still have to apply to BU myself,  but their deadline isnt until feb 15. They dont do interviews so don't expect to hear anything until end of Feb-March.

Thanks! yeah I should have stated MIT as the real question. I'm thankful I received an interview, but don't know how the program is now actually. I was really disappointed that jim hodges was no longer there and its now martin kersels, anyone go to the open house?...i dont know what the funding will be like :( 

This may seem like a strange question, but I wanted y'alls opinions on this subject. I have an interview Wednesday and Friday and wonder how much information I should give about my grades.My grades are ok,2.979 overall, but I started out really rough. Fall 2005 was my first semester (Katrina semester), but I managed to get Bs and Cs, however in 2006, I was in a very abusive relationship, physically and sexually for a few months, breaking up with him almost killed me. I failed that semester and continued withdrawing from all of my classes every semester for almost a year and a half. Dealing with MDD along with the trauma was really difficult, but I pulled through and went on to a very successful college career. How much is too much information for an interview? I dont want to scare them away if they ask about my grades, which they most likely will.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate post, but my senior seminar professor made it very clear when he used to handle admissions at his last university (one that is fairly well known), he, along with other professors, would never want a student with issues,and I'm afraid of how I may sound. Thanks.

This may seem like a strange question, but I wanted y'alls opinions on this subject. I have an interview Wednesday and Friday and wonder how much information I should give about my grades.My grades are ok,2.979 overall, but I started out really rough. Fall 2005 was my first semester (Katrina semester), but I managed to get Bs and Cs, however in 2006, I was in a very abusive relationship, physically and sexually for a few months, breaking up with him almost killed me. I failed that semester and continued withdrawing from all of my classes every semester for almost a year and a half. Dealing with MDD along with the trauma was really difficult, but I pulled through and went on to a very successful college career. How much is too much information for an interview? I dont want to scare them away if they ask about my grades, which they most likely will.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate post, but my senior seminar professor made it very clear when he used to handle admissions at his last university (one that is fairly well known), he, along with other professors, would never want a student with issues,and I'm afraid of how I may sound. Thanks.

If they ask about the grades, I would just say that you were dealing with some health issues/personal issues and that you persevered and graduated and that you're very proud of your achievements. Focus more on the fact that you were able to overcome the issues and make work you are proud of. 

Hi ArsenicYellow,

Thank You for having the courage to post a very sensitive topic/question. I went through a medical trauma during my undergrad and talk about it bluntly/openly in my statement of intent as it has made me a better artist and contributed to my work. You could perhaps take the same approach, simplifying it by saying "I went through/had to work through some very personal issues during undergraduate and believe that ultimately overcoming those personal obstacles has contributed to my work-but unfortunately it also is reflected in my GPA"- something along those lines.

I hope this helps! This said I really think it was a bit inappropriate for a professor to mention that admissions boards don't want anyone with issues/ect. I'm sorry but most artists have issues, hence we make badass art. Art is therapy. You can def over-share to the point where it distracts from your work though/TMI...my advice take the relevant information that explains your GPA, (I went through a very personal trauma) and then tie it back to your art.

Pushing lots of wonderful luck your way!

Arsenic Yellow -

I wouldn't worry about your grades, If they are interviewing you then their already ok with your gpa. If it comes up just say you were going through some personal stuff, and leave it at that. Alot of people have had a bad semester or two, the most important thing is your work and your statement. Your work is great so don't worry about it, just be relaxed and confident in yourself. Good luck

http://charliecunninghamart.com/

Hey lurkers, you should join the forum because you can do extensive searches and find lots of great information from past years!

You can choose your own screen name and you will not get any spam.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by flow

ArsenicYellow, 

I agree with what lovely painter said.  Just say you experienced some traumatic events (very true), because this explains it bus does not make it sound like you have "issues".  If you do talk about a bad relationship, unfortunately, they may wonder "what if she gets in another bad relationship while she is at our school?"   Of course, it wasn't your fault, but not everyone is going to be understanding about it.  

Still, you brought your GPA way up and that is the most important thing, so just say you have been working really hard since then, because how you are now is more important that whatever happened then.  

Ok, so I was in class and received a call from an area code of one of the schools I've applied to!  After class, I checked and no message, so I call the number, and some crazy sounding guy answers and tells me it was the wrong number.  

Whyyyyyyyy??????????!!!!!!!     lol     seriously though, i never get wrong number calls.   so annoying!

@hwrios

haha, that's just cruel! Last year programs started sending out catalogues for their program(s) around acceptance times...imagine a thick, heavy envelope in the mail from your dream program....ugh. Let the obsessing begin! :)

Curious on everyones thoughts regarding a deadline being extended or a sudden grace period for a program?

Not enough applicants applied?

Not enough GOOD applicants applied?

or....

depends, what school is it?

I know Skowhegan extended its deadline due to its site messing up hours before the deadline. 

So "freak-out forum" is accurately titled, as I have been freaking out for a few days and posting nonsense on these forums, heh.  ^_^ 

So just got my letter of acceptance from SAIC in performance! Hopefully the other departments have sent them out and others on this forum hear from them soon.  :)

So "freak-out forum" is accurately titled, as I have been freaking out for a few days and posting nonsense on these forums, heh.  ^_^ 

So just got my letter of acceptance from SAIC in performance! Hopefully the other departments have sent them out and others on this forum hear from them soon.  :)

congrats. I'm really hoping for some good news from SAIC soon.

Ok, so I was in class and received a call from an area code of one of the schools I've applied to!  After class, I checked and no message, so I call the number, and some crazy sounding guy answers and tells me it was the wrong number.  

Whyyyyyyyy??????????!!!!!!!     lol     seriously though, i never get wrong number calls.   so annoying!

Same thing happened to me at work yesterday!!! Mad frusterating

congrats. I'm really hoping for some good news from SAIC soon.

just to temper the anticipation and anxiety in the air, this is what i know from my SAIC experience last year. Painting, Sculpture, Photo, and maybe Fibers all interview. Performance, Video, and some other depts don't interview.

interview notifications are sent snail mail - i remember getting mine maybe a little after valentines day. 

the interview day is kind of a mind fuck. last year it was march 4. each dept has a room to hang out in for prospectives and current students who shepherd people to interviews or tours. through out the day people are coming and going to interviews and tours, and there's an all department reception at the end of the day that current students, faculty and prospectives attend. and the Photo dept has their own after-party after the reception which is traditionally at a bar/restaurant but last year it was at an apartment gallery. because the current students have a say in the admissions process it's weird/important/uncomfortable to hang out with them ALL day with the other prospectives. but at the same time it's good for the prospectives to get a feel for the department and people. i am still unsure about whether it's a good fit for me (i deferred admission). 

hope this is helpful.

I called Columbia today and they said to expect calls for interviews "no earlier" than the 1st week in march.  And from the past forums it seems that the rejections typically comes at the start of april. 

I have read in here that UCLA doesn't do interviews--anyone else confused by them? No recs, no interviews, terrible image upload system?

Does anyone know about USC interviews? I guess the more I know about when people hear about interviews the earlier I know about the rejection. haha. 

Congrats to all interviews and acceptances!!

Curious on everyones thoughts regarding a deadline being extended or a sudden grace period for a program?

Not enough applicants applied?

Not enough GOOD applicants applied?

or....

If you are talking about Columbia, then it is BC of some extension(s) that were granted. Reasons were not given to me today, I assume some personal circumstances for an individual? Either way, the same rules apply for applying to multiple programs (a separate application including the $110 fee for which the deadline has passed). Sigh. I asked, I was hopeful. 

I have read in here that UCLA doesn't do interviews--anyone else confused by them? No recs, no interviews, terrible image upload system?

confused indeed. i really dont understand how they can make confident decisions using that terrible image format, but its kind of refreshing to know there still exists a great program that doesnt require candidates to spend loads of money to interview on-site, only to reject 50-60% of them.

confused indeed. i really dont understand how they can make confident decisions using that terrible image format, but its kind of refreshing to know there still exists a great program that doesnt require candidates to spend loads of money to interview on-site, only to reject 50-60% of them.

The whole application process at every school is pretty frustrating because the management tools the schools use are too customizable. One school only uses Slideroom, another only ApplyYourself, then others Both. Neither piece of software is great, although I would happily take Slideroom over ApplyYourself anytime. Even my recommenders mentioned to me how frustrating it can be on their end because some schools send out e-mail confirmations that they received the recommendation while others do not. Why this hasn't been simplified yet is beyond me, ApplyYourself seems like it was made in 1999 and never updated, it's crazy.

That being said, I think that it is kind of nice that UCLA doesn't take recommendations. Sure, it is nice knowing that you have really good ones, but doesn't everyone? Generally people will not offer to write you a recommendation unless they feel comfortable writing a really positive one. So, with that being the case, they can become more political than anything else at some schools. This isn't to say I don't think they can be useful too, I just believe that your transcript, work, and own writing are a better indication of what kind of artist/student you will be. Also, if you take a look at the work coming out of UCLA, it's pretty clear they are doing something right.