MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

just in case anyone else applied to Herron (IUPUI) and is waiting to hear back, they told me that they send all letters out at the same time (no interviews, no staggering decisions like some other schools seem to do) and will send them early March.  i hope it means really early march, because then it's just a week away!

Accepted for MFA painting at VCU for the fall. Full tuition paid, plus $10,000 stipend and teaching assistantship.

Just had my interview on the 18th, couldn't believe the quick turnaround!

Hurray! Anyone else? Still awaiting interviews at Tyler and Cornell, and haven't heard a peep out of Columbia. Glad to know I will be going somewhere!!!!!

congrats! that's awesome! I have a phone interview on Tuesday for photo.. how was your interview?

Accepted for MFA painting at VCU for the fall. Full tuition paid, plus $10,000 stipend and teaching assistantship.

Hurray! Anyone else? Still awaiting interviews at Tyler and Cornell, and haven't heard a peep out of Columbia. Glad to know I will be going somewhere!!!!!

That's great! Congrats. 

Ughs...I'd rather hear now then keep waiting...hopes that I'm still a possibility!! for some schools. 

Congrats! I know a few folks there and they are great.

Damn, gurl. That sounds pretty good...

Damn, gurl. That sounds pretty good...

Thanks :). Trying not to reserve too much hope for Columbia, but it's hard not to. And really scared for the in-person interviews, they seem so much more high stakes!  Sorry to hear about Bard, their loss. Your work is exciting. Maybe we'll both end up at Columbia!

Re:VCU:

I was pretty light-hearted and joke-y in the VCU skype interview, and I think it helped... hoping to carry that over to the next 2 (or 3?).

They asked the typical questions (tell us a little about your work, where do you place it in art history, where in contemporary painting, what is the role of painting in contemp culture, etc...), plus "what 3 people (living or dead) do you invite to dinner, what do you serve?" ha!

On the phone they said that they were only taking 6 painting MFA students this year, all with the same financial aid package, but no promise of exactly what will be offered for the second year.

Like most schools (I think) we have to notify by April 15th or something. DECISIONS! 

Does anyone know ANYTHING about Columbia? When they notified last year or whatnot? I hate the suspense.

Thanks :). Trying not to reserve too much hope for Columbia, but it's hard not to. And really scared for the in-person interviews, they seem so much more high stakes! Sorry to hear about Bard, their loss. Your work is exciting. Maybe we'll both end up at Columbia!

Re:VCU:

I was pretty light-hearted and joke-y in the VCU skype interview, and I think it helped... hoping to carry that over to the next 2 (or 3?).

They asked the typical questions (tell us a little about your work, where do you place it in art history, where in contemporary painting, what is the role of painting in contemp culture, etc...), plus "what 3 people (living or dead) do you invite to dinner, what do you serve?" ha!

On the phone they said that they were only taking 6 painting MFA students this year, all with the same financial aid package, but no promise of exactly what will be offered for the second year.

Like most schools (I think) we have to notify by April 15th or something. DECISIONS!

Does anyone know ANYTHING about Columbia? When they notified last year or whatnot? I hate the suspense.

Columbia notifies for interviews the end of February to the very first week of March. Rejections don't tend to come until end of March/early April. Its still early.

Hi!

I haven't received any news about interviews, but I read on here some "typical questions" someone has answered in an interview, and I was not expecting some of those questions! (As in which dead people you would take to dinner?) Has anyone been interviewed already, and would like to let me know what sorts of questions they were asked?

Thanks!

Still says no decision. I don't think Rutgers has made any decisions about painters yet. Or at least that is what I am hoping. Looking at last years forum it seems like people were getting accepted by Rutgers into early March.

Your application for admission to Arizona State University to study in the Art (MFA) program has been carefully reviewed by your department.  Based on their recommendation I regret to inform you that we cannot act favorably on your application.

I got the same email last night...pretty bummed out...still waiting to hear from colorado state in fort collins...

Wisconsin-Madison- Rejected

U of Minnesota - Rejected

Arizona state _ rejected

SAIC- its not looking too good at this point

RISD - Same

CSU fort collins...my last hope for 2013

Edited by sctdshowers

Kwonberry don't be scared! My UCLA interview was actually just been the professor asking like 1-3 easy questions (how do you think your work will change in la? tell me about this body of work, What other schools did you apply to? What do you shoot with? Do you have any questions?) and it was more of a nice conversation. Definitely not trying to 'gotcha' me or anything. I was also kind of light hearted (told them i was nervous, towards the end told them i was in the supply closet at work, etc) and it seemed to go well so! Goodluck!!

Ten-of-swords I feel for you! I have been disappointed to not really hear anything- my girlfriend said something that helps me keep perspective. Grad school is not the only way- it's just one way.

Your work is really interesting! You'll show 'em!!

Has anyone heard back from USC or UCLA? I've heard mixed things about whether they have interviews or not.

I had interviews this week for both CCA and SFAI. I am applying for the new genres programs. This is my first year applying for grad programs I finished undergrad last spring.

Ten-of-swords I feel for you! I have been disappointed to not really hear anything- my girlfriend said something that helps me keep perspective. Grad school is not the only way- it's just one way.

Your work is really interesting! You'll show 'em!!

Thanks so much! I've just been trying to stay stress free and continue making work. 

Was it via the mail? I haven't heard back from them at all...

Yeah, I got a letter.